Problems with Houston Shooting Ranges

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by wegriffin8642, Jul 30, 2009.

1. wegriffin8642

wegriffin8642 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Houston
    Has anyone had any problems associated with Houston shooting ranges? I'm not suggesting any "flogging or slogging" here, just wanted to get a few stories---mostly for the forum supporters to key in on. Case in point----a few weeks ago, I had gone to Carter's and was sighting in a new rifle...wife bought it there for me as a birthday gift. The guys (3 sharing an AR-15) next to me would occasionally double tap their rifle. During a break in shooting, one of the workers came down the row and stated that double taps were not permitted. A while later, after repeating his statement a few more times, the 3 guys fired about 5 rounds rapidly, loaded up their gear, and left. During the next break, the worker came to me and told me that I had to leave for rapid firing my weapon. I loaded up my gear, left the rifle open (according to the rules) and went inside to complain. The young lady behind the counter called one of the older workers over to take my complaint. The older guy looked at me and my rifle, and said, "You've go to be sh---ting me." He strongly apologized, called in the outside worker, and suggested that he had me pegged wrong. The outside worker said that the rapid firing was coming from my end of the range, and that rapid firing was against the rules, and he refused to apologize or acknowledge his mistake. I assured the older guy that there were no hard feelings, picked up my stuff, and left. And I do not hold any grudges...me and my new Ruger 1 will find another range to shoot at....

2. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Spring, Texas
    Instructions please, for those of us new to this forum----How do you go about rapid firing a Ruger 1?? I have 2 of these fine rifles, and hunt frequently. There have been occasions when I would have liked to get a second shot before the fur ran away with the meat.

3. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Instructions please, for those of us new to this forum----How do you go about rapid firing a Ruger 1?? I have 2 of these fine rifles, and hunt frequently. There have been occasions when I would have liked to get a second shot before the fur ran away with the meat.

That's the whole point of the story.........can't rapid fire Ruger 1 so it couldn't have been him but the range worker called him out without even looking at his weapon......or maybe just didn't have enough sense to know it was single shot.

Okie556

4. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The range worker was a dumb ass! You should find a new place to shoot that does not hire any dumb asses! Welcome to the forum. BTW

5. wegriffin8642

wegriffin8642 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Houston
    A follow up to my original p[ost. I tried the Memorial Shooting range today...no problems with the range or personnel, but the traffic is horrible about noon time. How many indoor ranges does the Houston area have?

6. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    AAC sucks.

Thats why I shoot at the Impact Zone.

That's why I am a member at the Impact Zone

7. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Rapid fire a problem . . . Guess they would not like my M16.

8. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    If you can double tap a Ruger #1 you are a bad mo fo!

9. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Brothers, its just the old ten percent rule in action. Possibly at some ranges ten percent of the range people don't know their hineys from a hole in the ground. And
    perhaps ten percent of range shooters who have never hunted, never lived in a rural area and lived all their lives in the city pull some of the dumb stunts at ranges.

Like in the USMC says, ten percent never get the "word"...

10. ducksps

ducksps Active Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Another thumbs up for Impact Zone. Phil Oxley runs a first class place that allows automatic fire and movement so long as you have proven to be safe.