• benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Summary

Craig Ferguson is/was a master of saying really dirty stuff in ways that got past the censors.

Long version

the rusty trombone
    I used to love the way Craig Ferguson (the finest major network late night talk show host since Johnny Carson) would invite his guests to enjoy a rusty trombone. Some had no idea and some just stared in shock. Either way, he'd reach under his desk and pull out an old trombone.

He really leaned into that joke and did it over and over until it became a parody of itself within the parody that was his whole show. I thought it was hilarious.

Man, I miss that show. Still, I realize it couldn't be done today. He was too open, too flirty, too honest with his humor. The twitterati and the cancel culture and the #MeToo folks would have fallen on his head like a ton of bricks. Although I was highly incensed when he quit because I thought he had so much more to give, I now realize he exited that particular stage at exactly the perfect time.

In tribute, something out of character for that show but still fun, the opening of the last episode. See how many of the guests and recurring characters you can still recognize.

Guns International

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Summary

Craig Ferguson is/was a master of saying really dirty stuff in ways that got past the censors.

Long version

I used to love the way Craig Ferguson (the finest major network late night talk show host since Johnny Carson) would invite his guests to enjoy a rusty trombone. Some had no idea and some just stared in shock. Either way, he'd reach under his desk and pull out an old trombone.

He really leaned into that joke and did it over and over until it became a parody of itself within the parody that was his whole show. I thought it was hilarious.

Man, I miss that show. Still, I realize it couldn't be done today. He was too open, too flirty, too honest with his humor. The twitterati and the cancel culture and the #MeToo folks would have fallen on his head like a ton of bricks. Although I was highly incensed when he quit because I thought he had so much more to give, I now realize he exited that particular stage at exactly the perfect time.

In tribute, something out of character for that show but still fun, the opening of the last episode. See how many of the guests and recurring characters you can still recognize.

Oh neat. I didn't know he invoked the rusty trombone. Shows how much tube I watch. My loss in this case, but I still think I'm better off overall.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My loss in this case, but I still think I'm better off overall.
    I dunno. I don't watch too much TV any more but if one of the streaming services would show the entire run of that show again, I'd consider re-watching the whole thing, all ~10 years of it.

In the meantime, though, when I have a taste for it, it's easy enough to go to the JayLenoFly channel on Youtube.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    How about this one - did it get through?

You illegitimate offspring of an ugly but otherwise undistinguished whore and a fumbly fingered ghoul!

Top Bottom