• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    The founding fathers screwed up by not implementing term limits. The concept of career politicians must have been too foreign I guess.

They knew WELL the concept of career politicians. What they created was a republic. What we have now is closer to a democracy, mob rule. For instance, originally senators were NOT elected but appointed and intend as a "safety" to OPPOSE the mob of congress from running roughshod over the top of the individuals rights.

Their idea of term limits in a time when they counted on an educated vote was the ballot box.

The United States Constitution did not originally define who was eligible to vote, allowing each state to determine who was eligible. In the early history of the U.S., most states allowed only white male adult property owners to vote.[2][3][4] Freed slaves could vote in four states.[5] Women were largely prohibited from voting, as were men without property. Women could vote in New Jersey until 1807 (provided they could meet the property requirement) and in some local jurisdictions in other northern states. Non-white Americans could also vote in these jurisdictions, provided they could meet the property requirement. By 1856, white men were allowed to vote in all states regardless of property ownership, although requirements for paying tax remained in five states.[6][7] On the other hand, several states, including Pennsylvania and New Jersey stripped the free black males of the right to vote in the same period.

When they ruled against the poll tax and allowed any one to vote regardless of their status of payment of ANY KIND OF TAX OR FEE and also allowed voting by people of zero accomplishment of any substance proven by proof of land ownership, it was the beginning of an irreversible slide down hill to the end. I believe we are pretty much witnessing about the very last bump on the slide before the country will land on it's ... in the mud hole at the bottom, with the states allowing any one in the world to now vote their selves a share of EVERYTHING in this country. Your earnings, your property, your social security, you children, your women, cars, EVERYTHING is up for grabs and theirs subject to their voting whims.

Unless you are will to pick up your rifle, stand in their way and say NO. No more.

I've not seen much to make me optimistic that will happen.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Do you prefer more government control or less?

Less, that is why I want term limits so that less control will be the end result.

Term limits are a control on big government, not an enabler. You seem to be confused on this issue.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Do they still get the same retirement benefits if they serve the maximum career of (for example) 12 years versus the unlimited that is now in place? If so, you're adding more pensioners to the government dole more often than now.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Do they still get the same retirement benefits if they serve the maximum career of (for example) 12 years versus the unlimited that is now in place? If so, you're adding more pensioners to the government dole more often than now.

No pension. They can contribute to a 401k while they are employed by Uncle Sam. Uncle Sam's matching contributions to the 401k end when they leave office. Like the rest of us poor slobs.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Anyone of them that was elected after '84 is in the FERS system. Same retirement system that all other Federal employees are in. They also have the same health benefits.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Anyone of them that was elected after '84 is in the FERS system. Same retirement system that all other Federal employees are in. They also have the same health benefits.

I should have been more clear. I was stating what "should be" with a term limits change, rather than what actually is the current situation.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I should have been more clear. I was stating what "should be" with a term limits change, rather than what actually is the current situation.
    I believe the more time they are in office, the more their retirement accrues, just like any federal retirement.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Nick Freitas is a rising star in the VA Republican party. He is big on the idea of liberty and against using violence (the government) to coerce other people.

Term limits are a government coercion. It seems easier to use government than to bring change in other ways. However, government coercion & violence is not the answer. Also, the tables can be turned on us when the opposition is in control.

Here is Mr. Freitas discussing liberty:

And here are some newer comments from Nick Freitas about potential threats to our 2nd Amendment rights. Nick Freitas offers advice on how to be proactive about preserving our rights to self-defense in the coming year.

p.s. He also puts out a number of YouTube shorts funny and insightful about parenting, freedom, etc.

Top Bottom