Patriot Mobile

Progressive press confusion/price inflation/ and..??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Guys I thought I knew what progressive press I was buying but now im back to square one in confusion.

I was going to buy a hornady lnl ap back when it was 394.99 at midway now its 406.99! Inflation?
    Then I went to dillions website and they have a press I didnt know of called the RL550b. They have one with a caliber conversion kit for 419 something. What the heck is that and is it necessary? They also have the same press but without the caliber conversion kit for $376. That 376 is more in my price range. I also looked at the square b deal but, it only does pistol and I have regular dies and would still like to use them.

The rl550b says it has manual index does that mean the shell plate on the bottom wont advance after the ram is lowered? If so then how is that any good, what makes it a progressive?

Texas SOT

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Well I did some math. The lnl ap at midway total with shipping 429 the dillion 550 is 444 and midsouth has the lnl ap for 379

Dillions shell plates are expensive at 43 something vs. hornady at 28. Of course the lnl is just a plate and the dillion is its own case etc etc.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Each brand is going to have it's adherents/cheerleaders. Me, I shopped around until I found my Dillon 650 on Craigslist an' snagged it. I was preparing to buy the 550 w/auto-index, but got the used 650 for less, so I was a happy camper. Thing is, ya gotta look and shop for yourself - for me, it was going to be a Dillon. I'd had Lee and RCBS, and really nothing bad to say about 'em, but it just seemed like those I really respected preferred the Dillon, so I went with their recommendations.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have a Dillon RL 450 purchased new in 1984. The 450 is the parent of the 550. The caliber conversion includes the shell plate, locator buttons and the powder funnel (doubles as the expander for straight wall/pistol cartridges). Two reasons to go Dillon
    1. Engineering. Mike Dillon is a master at this. The presses are extremely well thought out.
    2. Service. Dillon's "No BS" warranty is exactly that. I have had a few parts fail over the years (Over 100,000 rounds loaded). A phone call or e-mail will get a replacement part to me in about three days.
    Everyone else tries to make a product "as good" as the Dillon. Most fail. I load everything from .380 ACP to .30-06 on my 450 and am COMPLETELY satisfied.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You have to have a caliber conversion for every different case you reload. The 38 special and 457 magnum use the same one for example. Try craigslist or sometimes they pop up on TGTrader. The Dillon or the Hornady will last forever, so it is just a matter of personal preference. The 550 is a manual index machine and has only 4 die holes, but will load rifle ammo. The 650 is auto indexing, but has 5 die holes and will not load rifle ammo. Maybe check out the Square B deal. It is auto indexing and cheaper, but you must use their dies.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Graf and Sons had a 550 cheaper by a few bucks. . . .

As for aw Hornady or Dillon . . . .

I love my dillon, I don't think I'd hate the Hornady. You are on your own.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    You didn't mention what calibers your are loading. If it is just straight walled pistol cases look really hard at the Square Deal B. It is the most under rated loader Dillon makes. It comes set up completely for one caliber when you buy it. The dies are specific to that machine but the 550 and 650 you have to buy seperate dies when you purchase it. You can get additional dies from Dillon for the SDB for other calibers and the cost comparison isn't a lot different. You can get a SDB and an extra caliber die set for less than you would pay for a 550 and a set of dies in one caliber.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    You have to have a caliber conversion for every different case you reload. The 38 special and 457 magnum use the same one for example. Try craigslist or sometimes they pop up on TGTrader. The Dillon or the Hornady will last forever, so it is just a matter of personal preference. The 550 is a manual index machine and has only 4 die holes, but will load rifle ammo. The 650 is auto indexing, but has 5 die holes and will not load rifle ammo. Maybe check out the Square B deal. It is auto indexing and cheaper, but you must use their dies.

The 650 can load rifles. I think there are many people who would tell you to get the 650 over the 550 if you are looking for a truely progressive machine. I like my 550, i'm not in a hurry. I picked up a square deal as a pachage of reloading stuff, though I need to get some parts for it to get it working. . . .We'll see, I might try and sell it.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Is this your first press CB? If it is, why don't you just get a lee turret press and be done with it? It's not that the Hornady is a bad one but I would never recommend starting out on a progressive. You are going to want several hand tools to really make quality ammo. I consider chamfer/deburring tools and primer pocket uniformers a must. You'll also need a dial caliper and case trimmer. Lube, lube pad, reloading trays, ammo boxes, scales, a powder trickler and so much more. You can't just look at the cost of the press. It will be useless with out without the complement of other tools.Personally, I think a progressive puts out lower quality ammo with less visual inspection of each process for a higher reloading rate. Also when you mess up on a progressive, you screw up several rounds, not just one or two. Anyhow, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who will tell you that they can crank out match grade ammo on these machines, I am just not one of them. I enjoy true handloading and take great pride in my work but like they say, "to each his own" and good luck. - Texmex

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Is this your first press CB? ...... but I would never recommend starting out on a progressive. Personally, I think a progressive puts out lower quality ammo with less visual inspection of each process for a higher reloading rate. Also when you mess up on a progressive, you screw up several rounds, not just one or two. Anyhow, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who will tell you that they can crank out match grade ammo on these machines, I am just not one of them. I enjoy true handloading and take great pride in my work but like they say, "to each his own" and good luck. - Texmex

OP,

To each their own, but it kills me to hear some of this stuff. If you are not a complete dope, you CAN start out with a progressive press. Read the book, follow the instructions, ask questions, start with pistol rounds......and life will be good. If you know someone that reloads, help them make some rounds.

IF you "mess up" on a progressive, (short stroke) you stop, fix the problem and reuse the components not messed up during the cycle problem. No screwing up "several" rounds. You will mess up a few components, you will do the same thing on a single stage. Just pay attention to what you are doing. In a short time you will be able to "feel" any problems. There are also several devices that make mistakes less apt to occur. (low powder sensor, powder check, primer alarm, etc)

And YES, you CAN load match grade ammo on a progressive press. ! Who says you have to use it as a progressive ? You can use it as a single stage if you like, but when you want to crank out a thousand target pistol paper punchers, that don't need to be "match grade", you will be vert happy that you have a progressive. We just loaded a thousand .45 ACP and a thousand .9mm Luger in about 6 hours. (how many can you do on a single stage ?) That was taking our time and inspecting every finished round, start to finish. Time is important to some and some are just sick of paying $25.00 for 50 .45 ACP 230 grn. FMJ.

Some people treat reloading as a science, and thats fine. I, personally, just want cheaper, reliable ammo that I can target practice with. As was already said "to each their own". Just don't dismiss a progressive because people tell you it is difficult to start with one. If you can't afford it, thats one thing, but to say that it is too hard, dangerous, ammo isn't as good..... that is just wrong.

IMO.

PS. I have a Dillon XL650 and love it. Get the best equiptment you can. Save your money until you can get good stuff. No need to replace equiptment.......ever ........with most Dillon presses...... and some other brands. Buy quality and plan for the future, buy it ONCE and be done !

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Clearly, a progressive allows much more room for error(As you noted, powder sensor, etc.). Like you said though, Randm, it doesn't mean you can't run it like a single stage. The other point I was trying to make to CB is that it takes a lot more than just the press to make ammo. For someone with a tight budget, buying proprietary dies, shellholders etc. can add up in a hurry.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Clearly, a progressive allows much more room for error(As you noted, powder sensor, etc.). Like you said though, Randm, it doesn't mean you can't run it like a single stage. The other point I was trying to make to CB is that it takes a lot more than just the press to make ammo. For someone with a tight budget, buying proprietary dies, shellholders etc. can add up in a hurry.

No doubt, you need LOTS more stuff then just a press. Some stuff you will just pick up slowly over time. You are right, I usually tell people to get evetything else BEFORE buying their press. That way they can get use to the stuff and when they get the press, they can start reloading right away. I just think that it is better to buy quality and .....wait......until they can afford quality......, don't just buy because that is all I can afford today. Tomorrow you will wish you had waited.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Thx for all the input and advice. Ive been reloading for 3 years and have both a single stage and a turret press, and everything else. But now I want to reload in volume. Im currently out shooting what I can reload. I already have all the dies I currently need, thats why the sqb. was a no go because I want to reload .223 as well as 9,40,38/357,45,30-30,270, and future calibers in volume. The goal is to have 1000 rounds sealed and in reserve ready to go and then reload for just practicing. The big problem I have with lee is plastic for the priming system. Im a fan of metal over plastic any day. Its either going to be the lock n load or a 550, just which ever is cheaper.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    They aren't that much in price different to really worry about not getting the one you want.

Just my opinion.

Top Bottom