• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • POLICESTATE

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 12, 2016
    Wylie, TEXAS
    Hi folks, I know that there were some changes last year to LTC rules but one thing I'm trying to figure out is if the carrying of a handgun by a LTC holder still prohibited in government meetings like City Council Meetings and the like? Too much conflicting information on the internets.
    Capitol Armory ad

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Prohibited .
    • At any meeting of a governmental entity (if the meeting is subject to the Texas Open Meetings Act per Government Code Chapter 551, and effective notice of prohibition is given per Penal Code Chapter 30);

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I came to Texas Gun Talk for info, specifically from anyone who might point to a solid resource since the Texas State statutes are not updated so much as amended and a royal pain to sort it all out.

An internet forum...
    Which is the embodiment of the multiple opinions on any subject, And who's "advice" is worthless legal conjecture.

You better figure a way to sort it out if your going to bet your life and freedom on them.

Just saying.

I guess people will never stop self diagnosing life threatening symptoms by posting on the internet either.

Both are a testament, to paraphrase a famous general, to the folly of man.

You're going to end up where you started, or should have. Hojis link is a good start.

People have the sum total of mans knowledge at their fingertips and still ask a stranger like it's a life line on a game show instead of opening the encyclopedia sitting infront of them.

Sorry to come off like an ars. I'm trying to work on it.

Kinda.

Last edited:

POLICESTATE

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 12, 2016
    Wylie, TEXAS

THanks I'd been looking at that and I missed the part where they embedded the list of prohibited places. I also see they updated it as it removed churches so that's good. I really wish they would just re-word laws rather than tack on new ones that reference old ones but asshole politicians and lawyers and all that; plus our long-gone founding fathers aren't around to tar and feather folks like that.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    But the state or a political subdivision of the state can't give notice...
    Yes. Yes they can and they do. It's just not a 30.06/7 warning, its generally a sign that remind the bearer that per PC46.035 there is a meeting and you can't carry under GC411, chap H (some carry under PC46.15(a)(1))

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Yes. Yes they can and they do. It's just not a 30.06/7 warning, its generally a sign that remind the bearer that per PC46.035 there is a meeting and you can't carry under GC411, chap H (some carry under PC46.15(a)(1))

Well that's a reminder to double-check the law before I want to go make a point somewhere.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Yep, you see an 06/07 sign on govt property, you have to double check for a meeting, etc.

It is STUPID they use the same sign and not a dedicated gov meeting sign.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    THanks I'd been looking at that and I missed the part where they embedded the list of prohibited places. I also see they updated it as it removed churches so that's good. I really wish they would just re-word laws rather than tack on new ones that reference old ones but asshole politicians and lawyers and all that; plus our long-gone founding fathers aren't around to tar and feather folks like that.
    Agreed, but 2A would seem to be simple enough for everyone to agree on the meaning, but yet some places still have no clue.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So, is signage required for post office parking lots?
    I'm having a discussion with someone that says this is so.
    No sign, then okay to have a gun in PO parking lot.
    I say they are wrong.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I say they are wrong.

I may be mistaken, so take this with huge helping of salt!

I think they did reverse it so that it was legal to have one in your vehicle in the parking lot, then I think within a year, they reversed again and they were not allowed in any way on postal office property, including the parking lots in your vehicle.

Not 100% sure about that though. Maybe someone has better information or more current information than mine.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I say they are wrong.

Depends upon who owns/leases the parking lot. If it is the Feds, no sign. But then technically local PD has no power to arrest either.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    I may be mistaken, so take this with huge helping of salt!

I think they did reverse it so that it was legal to have one in your vehicle in the parking lot, then I think within a year, they reversed again and they were not allowed in any way on postal office property, including the parking lots in your vehicle.

Not 100% sure about that though. Maybe someone has better information or more current information than mine.

Correct!

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/can-you-carry-a-gun-at-the-post-office/#ixzz6c86S5Ttr
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

“The Tenth Circuit ruled that the parking lot adjacent to the actual building was considered postal property and as such, the post office could prohibit firearms from being stored in a vehicle.”

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Correct!

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/can-you-carry-a-gun-at-the-post-office/#ixzz6c86S5Ttr
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

“The Tenth Circuit ruled that the parking lot adjacent to the actual building was considered postal property and as such, the post office could prohibit firearms from being stored in a vehicle.”

Thank you sir for sharing that. That could be where I read it some time back.

Top Bottom