• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    I got my AR Stoner 30 round mags, my Bolt Catch Spring, and the DPMS Chrome Magazine Release today in the mail!!!!

Glad to see the Chrome parts and other small parts becoming available again...
    Hurley's Gold

jkchan83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ordered a couple more parts from Midway USA, I REALLY like this site!!!

I ordered my forgotten bolt catch spring, my chrome magazine release, and a couple more mags. I was going to order the chrome magazine release button too, but it was going to be a back ordered item so I am going to wait. Trying to keep the backordered items to a minimum so I don't have 343323223 different shipping charges. I will update my list when they arrive.

Take the time to get your 03 FFL and you'll really like MidwayUSA. They give dealer pricing to 03 FFL holders, as does Brownells.

I have 2 firearms that would be old enough to be C&R, but I bought them before I got my 03. Otherwise, I am using it for the discounts on parts for my ARs.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Take the time to get your 03 FFL and you'll really like MidwayUSA. They give dealer pricing to 03 FFL holders, as does Brownells.

I have 2 firearms that would be old enough to be C&R, but I bought them before I got my 03. Otherwise, I am using it for the discounts on parts for my ARs.

What is this and what are the requirements? Is it a one time thing or a yearly "donation" to the fat bastards in D.C.?

jkchan83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    What is this and what are the requirements? Is it a one time thing or a yearly "donation" to the fat bastards in D.C.?

The 03 FFL is one of many types of Federal Firearms Licenses. The 01 is for dealers, 06 for ammo manufacturers, and 03 for collectors of Curio & Relics (C&R) (and there are more). The 03 FFL allows you to buy and sell C&R firearms from private individuals or companies, including those out of state, without having to go through a 01 FFL dealer. For example, you could buy a Mosin Nagant or M1 Carbine from AIMSurplus and have it shipped directly to your door. However, it is NOT a license to do business. For that, you would need a 01 FFL.

The requirements are basically the same as those that allow you to purchase a handgun: at least 21 years old, no felonies, of sound mind, etc. You will need to fill out the paperwork and send it to BATFE. You will also include your $30 fee, which is good for 3 years. You will also send a copy to your Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO), which is either your local police chief or county sheriff. They have no say in whether you get the license, but is required by regulation.

Then the waiting begins...

It took about 2 months for the BATFE to process my application and mail me my license. After the package with the license arrives, you're done. Then you can start looking for dealer discounts from MidwayUSA, Brownells, Numrich, and Grafs, for starters. You can also start buying C&R firearms as discussed above.

Here are a couple of links that helped me to get started:

Getting your C&R FFL
    http://www.cruffler.com/becomingcruffler.html

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Tonight's Midway USA order was another AR Stoner Magazine, DPMS Chrome Trigger and Chrome Bolt Catch!!!

I hope they get the Chrome Selector, Chrome Mag Release Button, Chrome Hammer, and Chrome Disconnector soon... I may call DPMS directly and see if they have any of that stuff. I think that is all I lack to complete the lower assembly.

I guess I still need my Tubb springs for the trigger/hammer and buffer spring though... :(

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    So UPS came today and brought the replacement package from Midway, the USPS package never arrived (at least not to my house :( ) but the trigger, bolt catch, and mag all arrived in good shape.

Once I get my Tubb springs and Chrome Mag Release button (on backorder from DPMS) the lower will be ready to assemble!!!

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Hey Charlie - I probably know you - the KNS guys are my shooting buddies, even do some overflow production for them from time to time at the machine shop I work at....

On topic - got any evidence for the Model-1 Sales bolts? Not calling BS or anything, I just want to know more as I have at least one or two of their bolts in my collection....

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    I think my Chrome Mag Release Button is on the way from DPMS, so I ordered my Tubb Trigger/Hammer Springs, Springco Buffer Spring, and a couple of other misc items from Brownell's this time... updates to follow...

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Today's order from Midway!!!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DPMS Ejection Port Cover AR-15 Chrome[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DPMS Extractor AR-15 Chrome[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DPMS Ejection Port Cover Pin AR-15 Chrome[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DPMS Accu-Wedge AR[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DPMS Forward Assist Assembly Teardrop AR-15 Chrome[/FONT]

I also didn't update for my order from Brownell's, but it is on page one now also...

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Update: Lower is assembled, safety doesn't seem to move, rest of kit is still on order. Looking at the amount spent so far I am rethinking my choice of stock and front quad rail...

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Updated the list on this build, since I have already started another one that will be the carbine... I decided this one will be a 20"er...

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Complete!!! Pics when I bring it home...

Final configuration

Upper

20" BCM standard upper
    DPMS Levang Muzzle Brake
    Hogue free float tube
    standard FSB with KNS hooded duplex sight post
    BCM auto BCG with chrome silicon extractor/ejector springs, KNS Perma Pin, DPMS hard chrome extractor
    Diamondhead Premium Combat Rear sight with diamond aperature
    DPMS chrome door, door pin, tear drop forward assist
    BCM Gunfighter charging handle with large latch
    Barrel and Levang are Cerakoted in black and the FSB is FDE

Lower

Rock River Arms
    DPMS chrome bolt catch, mag release, mag release button, safety selector, trigger, hammer, and disconnector
    Tubb trigger springs
    KNS Gen2 Mod2 hammer/trigger pins
    KNS push button takedown and pivot pins
    Magpul Aluminum trigger guard
    A2 stock Cerakoted in FDE with Tactical Springs chrome silicone/moly coated buffer spring

I think that is everything...

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Finally... a picture!!!!

AR15.1..jpg

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    I think around $1,400.... which includes some shipping charges on some of the orders, one gun show admission, and two 20 round P-Mags...

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Well hot dog.. there it is... So id like to go visit KNS myself sometime!! I had no idea they were in TX!

Jeremy

I'd like to visit them too... The AR will be with me for a couple of weeks and then probably back at the shop...

I have to get the Kimber reassembled next so the Ruger P85 MKII can get in gear...

Huge thanks to Brad at Selph Arms for all the work/help with this project!!!

Top Bottom