• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    I found a project that I took home today. This is a S&W 520 n-frame .357 mag. If history serves S&W did this project for the NYSP . They opted for the model 28 due to the wait time for the 520. The NY fish and game took delivery of some of the 520's and the rest were sold to the public. 3000 is the number I have found that were made. I plan on contacting S&W and getting a historical letter to go along with the project.

As you can see from the attached pictures someone didn't take good care of this jewel. This has always irked me in how some take care of firearms or lack there of . It will have to be refinished and it needs some internal tlc. I have always loved the old service sighted pencil barrel S&W's. It will be sent to a buddy of mine that does outstanding work with S&W revolvers.
    PXL_20220722_231117203.jpg
    PXL_20220722_231127541.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    For the most part of gun history, guns have been utilitarian tools no different than spades, hammers or screwdrivers and treated as such.....

People used them and if it got a some rust on it, they didn't really care........it still worked.....

Very nice older S&W and Colt revolvers bring a premium because there are very few that haven't been neglected, abused, molested (non original parts) or carried daily and show it......

This 520 is worthy of restoration...will be waiting to see it after it's finished...

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Congrats on finding a 520, they are seldom seen for sale or trade. It looks to me like a good revolver to use and not worry about. What kind of internal repair does it need? N frame parts are still plentiful and revolvers are not that hard to work on.

If you have it refinished, it will not increase the value of the gun. It will be a refinished revolver. If you want to refinish it just because you want a nice looking gun, go for it. Ford's Refinishing does some amazing work.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    With the hammer down the trigger return makes 3 clicks, the last one isn't there. As to refinishing I do understand it won't add to value, just look better. Thank you for the info on Ford's Refinishing. I will probably use my friend due to being a customer for over 15 years now, however I will see what Ford's has to offer. I do have a local guy who probably can fix it, he is a old school S&W wheel gun guy but not a refinishing guy.

RevolverGuy

Aug 8, 2013
    3,000 made in 1980, it doesn’t sound like NYSP was waiting on S&W.

The Standard Catalog Of Smith & Wesson simply says the guns were never delivered.

A version I read was that NYSP caught wind of the L-frame and decided to wait. They had something like 4 different revolvers in service during the ‘70s and wanted to standardize. They eventually issued the 681.

Still, a super-cool find.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    She had range time today, excellent shooter. I started the removal of rust this afternoon. There will be pitting unfortunately. I will continue to remove rust carefully till time to send off. Parkerizing is what was recommended to finish it with due to the pitting. We will see. It will never be worth it as a collector but should make an excellent carry gun.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    I enlisted a friend to help, with the use of naval jelly , steel wool and lots of elbow grease it looks like bluing should work well. All the rust has been removed there is a little pitting but not near what I thought there would be. I have to admit I am getting jazzed about the project. I will send it to Vermont for the rest of the work. More to come later.
    PXL_20220730_183711914.jpg
    PXL_20220730_183724931.jpg

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    This is definitely a good project. I hadn't seen this thread before and had no idea what that revolver was.
    I didn't either till I saw it. I did the research and the guy doing the work is in Vermont so he knows a lot of the area's history not to mention he has repurposed a number of these revolvers in to other calibers. A worthy project and should make a excellent carry piece.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Project update, very sad news to tell. Karl Sokol was the gunsmith who was working on this revolver. He passed away earlier this month. His loss will be felt all over the globe due to his level of gunsmith work was carried all over the globe. He was a personal friend who allowed me to stay with him and his family a few times when in the area. A brother to me and Godfather to my daughter. He will be missed.

I should have the revolver back this week. A local friend will do the action work. I will rent the tool to champer the cylinder holes an I found a local guy for the finish work. I have seen his work and he cares about doing a good job. The top refinishing guys are 6 months to a year plus out. I really don't think I need to send her out of the area again unless there is no choice.

The other project was a S&W 3914. This would have been the 3rd time back there for a problem that was plaguing him. The last time I got to talk to him he told me it actually malfunctioned enough he thought he knew what was wrong. I have no ideal till I get it back weather he was able to fix it or not. It never made it back to the range.

In truth this was loosing more than a brother. May he rest in peace.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Project update, very sad news to tell. Karl Sokol was the gunsmith who was working on this revolver. He passed away earlier this month. His loss will be felt all over the globe due to his level of gunsmith work was carried all over the globe. He was a personal friend who allowed me to stay with him and his family a few times when in the area. A brother to me and Godfather to my daughter. He will be missed.

I should have the revolver back this week. A local friend will do the action work. I will rent the tool to champer the cylinder holes an I found a local guy for the finish work. I have seen his work and he cares about doing a good job. The top refinishing guys are 6 months to a year plus out. I really don't think I need to send her out of the area again unless there is no choice.

The other project was a S&W 3914. This would have been the 3rd time back there for a problem that was plaguing him. The last time I got to talk to him he told me it actually malfunctioned enough he thought he knew what was wrong. I have no ideal till I get it back weather he was able to fix it or not. It never made it back to the range.

Condolences

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine

So sorry to hear this.
    Condolences to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom