• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    I just got back from NRA headquarters. I had to go there for a budget meeting. During the meeting, I got an idea for a membership drive I have titled "Project One Million: Texas." Here is a copy of the post announcing the project on TexasCHLforum.com.

Thanks,
    Chas.

PROJECT ONE MILLION: TEXAS

President-Elect Obama is assembling his administration “team” and many of the people he has selected have an anti-gun track record. Rabid anti-gunner Nancy Pelosi will be re-elected as Speaker of the House and Senators Charles “Chuck” Schumer, Diane Feinsten and Barbara Boxer are itching to file several anti-gun bills like the “assault weapons” ban, gun show “loophole,” ballistic fingerprinting, ammunition microstamping, child-proof firearms, and more when the new Congress convenes in 2009.

Although the 2008 federal elections were not the blood-bath for Second Amendment supporters as claimed by the New York Times or the Brady Campaign, gun owners and supporters of the Second Amendment must prepare now not only for the next two legislative sessions, but also for the mid-term elections in 2010. While the party that controls the White House usually loses some seats in the House and Senate, Republicans again will have more Senate seats at-risk than will the Democrats. We absolutely cannot let the Democrats get a filibuster proof 60 vote margin in the Senate. If President Obama gets a blank check for his coming Supreme Court nominee(s), then even the Heller decision could be in jeopardy. Remember, we only won by one vote and that was cast by Justice Kennedy who is 72 years old.

The NRA and its members are the only organization that can prevent a constitutional disaster in terms of attacks on the Second Amendment and the Heller decision. Even if Heller is not overturned, if Justice Kennedy is replaced by an anti-gun Obama nominee, then you can count on the Supreme Court finding any conceivable gun control legislation to be a “reasonable restriction” on a constitutional right.

The 2008 federal elections make it abundantly clear that the NRA must grow at an unprecedented rate the next several months, if gun owners are to protect the Second Amendment and the gains we have made at both the state and federal level in the last several years. That is no typo, I said months, not years. We do not have years before the anti-gun leadership in the Democrat Party start their agenda. If the NRA doubles or triples in membership relatively over night, that will send a chill through the likes of Senators Schumber, Feinstein and Boxer, and even Nancy Pelosi will have to admit that gun control is still a losing issue for their Party. The message will be both in terms of the number of NRA members and in the speed with which the membership grew after the 2008 election.

There are approximately 250,000 NRA members in Texas. Many Texans are surprised to learn that our great State is actually third in terms of NRA membership nationwide. I am starting what I call Project One Million: Texas. This is not an official NRA membership program or campaign, but I promise you I will not be kicked off the NRA Board of Directors if Texas quadruples its NRA membership! From time to time, many of us have commented that if every NRA member recruited just one more member, the NRA would double in size. Well, Project One Million: Texas is only asking you to get four new members. I know, I know, but this is Texas and we do everything bigger and better here.

Seriously, this is obviously a very ambitious undertaking and it will not be easy to increase Texas NRA membership fourfold in a matter of months, but it is certainly doable. All of the elements of a successful campaign are present. I am not sure what the current figures are, but only a very few years ago, Texas sold over 1 million hunting licenses. Every one of those licensees should be a member of the NRA and the TSRA. There are no accurate figures for the number of Texans who own guns, but they must number in the millions. All of these people are candidates for membership. Even NRA members have family who have not joined the organization so our recruiting can begin at home! If we can accomplish the goal of 1 million Texas NRA members, then our achievement will serve as a challenge to other states and we can see the NRA with 8, 10 or perhaps even 12 million members! With membership at that level, no one will dare to attack our Second Amendment rights, either in Washington or Austin.

If you are not an NRA member, or if you have family members who have not yet joined the fight for the Second Amendment, please click on the link in my signature line and join. I get a monthly report on the number of people who join the NRA by clicking on this link and I will post that information on TexasCHLforum.com. I will contact the NRA Membership Dept. and ask to be provided membership figures for Texas and will post that information also, so we can track the progress of Project One Million: Texas.

Please join me in this effort and spread the word: Support Project One Million: Texas!

Chas.
    Texas SOT

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    After years of having a lapsed membership I joined again 2 months ago... and I just now signed up my wife and son (Jr. membership)....
    I will be on the prowl for other potential members...
    Despite some gun owners thinking the NRA is not hard core enough for them...the NRA does swing a heaviest hammer of all the pro 2A groups in DC.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I never belonged to the NRA before in my life, this despite owning a 22LR pistol for range use for 15 years (I'm ashamed to say). But my first post-election firearm-related purchase was a 2-year NRA membership and a small donation.

I too will look for opportunities to educate other gun owners about the need to support the most effective gun control opponent out there.

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    Another longtime gun owner & shooter that has joined the NRA in the last month. As usual, Charles has made a clear and rational case for his call to action.

I will be signing up my wife and checking with like minded friends to see if they are members or not. and if not, encouraging them to join, quickly.

Jeff B.

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I am a Life Member, but I just got something in the mail about upgrading to Endowment for $200. I think that I will do it just to spite the left-wingers. That is why I started paying on my life membership several years ago--to spite Bill and Hillary.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Recently joined in order to become a member of the local gun range. 100% NRA membership. When I got my card I re-upped for another year. Don't know why it took so long (I'm 60) since I grew up around guns and my dad was a card carrying TSRA and NRA member his whole life. Better late than never. Let's get those million members.

Brewgod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    I've signed up 6 folks this week, and am trying to sign up at least 1 person per week for the next year. When I sign someone up, I've been asking them to find 4 people over the next year to sign up and so on. I remind them that they make great Christmas and birthday gifts. Folks also need to sign up their spouses and children. We need to remember TSRA in this as well, they have a family membership for $45.00

I can't emphasize how important this is...

Thank you Charles for your post and work...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    I've signed up 6 folks this week, and am trying to sign up at least 1 person per week for the next year. When I sign someone up, I've been asking them to find 4 people over the next year to sign up and so on. I remind them that they make great Christmas and birthday gifts. Folks also need to sign up their spouses and children. We need to remember TSRA in this as well, they have a family membership for $45.00

I can't emphasize how important this is...

Thank you Charles for your post and work...

Thanks!! Now this is dedication to the cause. I love the four new members in a year element; what a great challenge to all of us.

Thanks again,
    Chas.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    Been a member for years (also a TSRA member) but planning to sign up my non-shooting wife after the New Year ... politicians are swayed only by the number of potential voters the issue in question affects ... like the NRA or not, they have the biggest stick in the 2A movement and bigger numbers mean more muscle in Wash.

MiTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Austin
    Joined here.
    Certainly trying to encourage more to join. My father is considering a membership.
    Many of my friends are out of state, so I do not know how much help it will be for Texas.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I've launched a new website dedicated to the Project One Million: Texas. It's at http://www.ProjectOneMillionTexas.com. I think a website directed solely to promoting this effort will be a better way to get people to join the NRA and also become active in the Project.

Regards,
    Chas.
    This is a very good plan!

I commend you for the effort to sign up new members and like the idea a lot. As I understand it, there is a commission paid for new sign-ups. Where do the proceeds from all of these new members go?

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    This is a very good plan!

I commend you for the effort to sign up new members and like the idea a lot. As I understand it, there is a commission paid for new sign-ups. Where do the proceeds from all of these new members go?

Me being a skeptic, I wrote this off as "that" as well. But unless it's tracked by web referral, it appears the link to join is direct to the NRA site. Probably web referral though. Most everything has $$$ motivating factor behind it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    Me being a skeptic, I wrote this off as "that" as well. But unless it's tracked by web referral, it appears the link to join is direct to the NRA site. Probably web referral though. Most everything has $$$ motivating factor behind it.

All proceeds go to support the efforts of Texas CHL Forum, Inc., a new education & advocacy organization that was just created. You can get more information about the goals and activities of this outreach organization by clicking on the above link. The post is an update on the project, but it also contains the initial post that announced the organization, its goals and its methods.

As for a monetary motive, that's not the case at all. Since I've been on the NRA Board of Directors (2001) and have been working with TSRA on legislative matters (1987), currently as Vice-Chairman of the TSRA Legislative Committee, my law practice has lost well over $600,000 in client billings, plus what I have personally donated to the NRA. Many of the most successful lobbyists are also attorneys and they routinely earn several hundred thousand dollars just during the five months the Texas Legislature is in session, doing what I do for free twelve months a year every year.

I own and run TexasCHLforum.com and in the last four years, I have have rejected numerous offers to "buy" the board, to advertise on it, or to otherwise turn it into a commercial operation. Some of the companies wishing to advertise have made very attractive offers, but I believe that making it a commercial operation takes away from its mission. If money were the motivation, I wouldn't have rejected those offers, much less spent many thousands of pro bono hours working to promote and protect gun owners' rights in Austin and Washington; I would have stayed in my office and billed my clients.

I started Project One Million Texas to increase Texas NRA membership four-fold and in so doing, offer our State as a challenge to the rest of the Country. We need the NRA to double or triple its membership and do it quickly. If this expansion can fund other pro-gun organizations and activities here in Texas to strengthen us in Austin, then this is an added bonus, but not the primary goal or motive.

In an age when everything and everyone seems to have a profit motive, I can understand why you might think that generating revenue was the sole motive for Project One Million Texas. I hope I have eased your concerns and answered your question by showing that the money will be used to support other pro-gun organizations and activities. But if you are at all uncomfortable joining the NRA through Project One Million Texas, or any other webite, then just go directly to NRA.org and click on the membership link there. The main thing is to join, how you get there is far less important.

Chas.

MiTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Austin
    In speaking to some of my friends and acquaintances over the last few days, the hesitation in joining the NRA seems to be an underlying fear of being on someone's list.
    The way I see it, I am on someone's list anyway!

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    In an age when everything and everyone seems to have a profit motive, I can understand why you might think that generating revenue was the sole motive for Project One Million Texas. I hope I have eased your concerns and answered your question by showing that the money will be used to support other pro-gun organizations and activities. But if you are at all uncomfortable joining the NRA through Project One Million Texas, or any other webite, then just go directly to NRA.org and click on the membership link there. The main thing is to join, how you get there is far less important.

Chas.

Thank you for posting an explanation. I think that helps others understand your efforts as well.

Not that I was trying to fish for a reply :p but it's good to see you are still around and didn't just do a drive by.

Top Bottom