• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    A bill was introduced this past legislative session (83R) that would have done just that. It did not survive.

Yep, and heard mutterings that none other than Dan Patrick was responsible for that not passing?

You are obviously very well versed with this, and other CHL issues. With regard to my first post:

§ 39.03

(a) A public servant acting under color of his office or employment commits an offense if he:

(2) intentionally denies or impedes another in the exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power, or immunity, knowing his conduct is unlawful.

Even in the absence of that ill fated law, and granted that lawyers blur distinctions and game the legal system as a business model, it appears that a member of a city council has what could be construed, once put on notice, as liability in this matter?

The use of the specific word "unlawful" appears to be intentional. Black’s Law Dictionary defines "unlawful" as not authorized by law. Posting these signs on city property without taking the exceptions into account is specifically not "authorized by law".

I'm aware that conjecture and hypothetical's will get you what you paid for, but a thorough understanding of all the nuances could be key to getting something done by putting all these rascals on notice in one fell swoop at State level.

Although I'm considering writing both my representatives and our city council about this issue, what I don't want to do is poke a stick and make matters worse before understanding those nuances, and hoped that some discussion can bring up things that the average citizen, which I am, is not aware.

ITMT, thanks for your patience.
    ARJ Defense ad

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Join Date Mar 2008.

Renegade
    user-online.png

Join Date Mar 2008
    Location Texas
    Posts2,523

Since when is a "join date" an excuse for arguably uncivil behavior, eh?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Since when is a "join date" an excuse for arguably uncivil behavior, eh?

You said "Stick Around" I was pointing out I have been around since nearly day 1.

As for uncivil behavior, you are the one who wrote "checking in _just_ to annoy you. Get used to it."

Enjoy your time here.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Does the Austin City Hall house courts?

Not that i could find. I've checked the directory in the building as well as the website and did not see any listed. The municipal courts, as far as I could tell, are at APD headquarters which is several blocks away.

Very disappointed that the Legislature didn't put some teeth into this in the last session.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    You said "Stick Around" I was pointing out I have been around since nearly day 1.

As for uncivil behavior, you are the one who wrote "checking in _just_ to annoy you. Get used to it."

Enjoy your time here.

I see, but it is civil to cherry pick and leave the smiley out of my quote, eh?

I did not come here to annoy you, Bubba, but you have clearly taken exception to my presence with unwarranted snide comments since I walked in the door.

One would think with a "join date" of 2008, you would have grown up by now.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I see, but it is civil to cherry pick and leave the smiley out of my quote, eh?

I did not come here to annoy you, Bubba, but you have clearly taken exception to my presence with unwarranted snide comments since I walked in the door.

One would think with a "join date" of 2008, you would have grown up by now.

Irony.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Judging from your past posts, and were we to meet on the street, I wouldn't hesitate to take your back. While I have no idea what I did to cause this seeming acrimony between us, I hereby apologize for whatever it was.

How about a truce? ;)

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Judging from your past posts, and were we to meet on the street, I wouldn't hesitate to take your back. While I have no idea what I did to cause this seeming acrimony between us, I hereby apologize for whatever it was.

How about a truce? ;)

Don't sweat it dude. The 13 comment has been going on for 9 months. It is a joke not an insult. We all give each other a hard time, in fun. Wait a few more weeks and see the shit they giver TXI, and he gives it back. The tone here is very civil compared to many other sites. It is relaxing.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Don't sweat it dude. The 13 comment has been going on for 9 months. It is a joke not an insult. We all give each other a hard time, in fun. Wait a few more weeks and see the shit they giver TXI, and he gives it back. The tone here is very civil compared to many other sites. It is relaxing.

Thank you! Been lurking here for over a year, and having participated in online forums since 1991 (FidoNet and Usenet), I 'm keenly aware of the newbie thing.

I apologize if I overstepped any newbie bounds, realized it was a risk, and I do appreciate your response above.

Thanks again!

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Premises of courts or offices utilized by the courts are off limits under penal code 46.03. Secured areas of airports (most are government owned) are off limits, meetings of government entities are off limits if the provide notice under 30.06.

Libraries and other goverent owned facilities are not subject to 30.06. That means the govt cannot enforce 30.06 in places not specifically listed in the law. That includes city hall.

Ok, so basically all the places I haven't been sure about are good to go, then. Thanks!

Wanna really get worked up? My "Broke" community college just wasted a bunch of money posting them on all doors. No contrasting colors, letters WAY too small. Not to mention 30.06 doesn't apply to college campuses (carry there is already illegal under another section of the penal code).

Mines the same way! Tiny signs, but I don't feel like being kicked out of college or worse so I listen to them.

Depends on the Gov. building. Most of the time it's okay. Schoolhouses and court buildings are notable exceptions. You can carry at the State capital, which is cool.

Federal buildings have their own laws. The post office is a point of much debate. Military bases are almost always gun free zones thanks to their idiot commanders.
    I'm familiar with federal law after being in the military and around the military for the past 10 years. The local municipalities are what trip me up. I'm not used to having freedom. Lol I still wanna swing by the capitol and do a tour while carrying.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I'm familiar with federal law after being in the military and around the military for the past 10 years. The local municipalities are what trip me up. I'm not used to having freedom. Lol I still wanna swing by the capitol and do a tour while carrying.

If you want a real unique experience go spend some time in NM or AZ while carrying (open or concealed) without a license. TX gun laws suck a fatty in comparison.

Top Bottom