• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Earlier this year, at the peak of the RE market, we convinced our in-laws to sell their place, and come live with us. They’re on fixed incomes, and had about $100k in equity appreciation in just 3 years.

We figured they could pocket the money, and we would convert our 700+ SF garage into an apartment so they could live rent-free. Plus they’d be right here for the grandkids.

But dealing with permits and the city has been a nightmare, while we’re almost done jumping thru hoops, we have yet to start construction, so they’ve been living in our house.

In this thread, I’ll talk about some if the fun adventures and convos we have living under the same roof.

I’m hoping this thread is therapeutic.

Good times LOL
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    So we have this baby gate that separates Stetsons play room (AKA our living room) from the mud room and garage. It’s not good for babies to hang out in here, hence the gate.

This happened a few nights ago. MIL just came home from late bible study.
    MIL opens and walks thru the gate, but doesn’t close it behind her. Baby is awake and playing.

Me: can you close the gate behind you?
    MIL: yes, I close it every time
    Me: turn around, you left open, can you close it?
    MIL: who left it open? How can this be, I close it all the time
    Me: you left it open, I just watched you open it and walk thru it. Can you close it?
    MIL: we’ll somebody left it open and it wasn’t me
    Me: facepalm LOL

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Be patient...hell, my wife can't open something with a wrapper like a candy bar and remember to throw the wrapper into the trash or finishing a soft drink can, she simply leaves the can on the end table...

Have I been the guy to point it out and ask her to take care of her refuse?

Yes, over and fk-ing over...for years...now, I throw it away and say nothing...when it comes to this sort of thing she's...blind, but she does things for me I don't want to do...like run errands, so it more than evens out as running errands isn't something I EVER want to do.

So your MIL forgets or...pretends, who cares...maybe she does other more important stuff for you...I hope.

If not, buy a backhoe...

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I feel your pain. My mother in law moved in with us 2 months before we moved here to Texas - after my FIL died and we were helping clean / organize / try to fix the old place it was just too much.

We found a place big enough for all of us here - she's on the far end of the house.

At least your inlaws are able to take themselves places - I'm chauffer because my MIL, at 73, has never driven. Ever. Never held a permit or a license. My wife hasn't driven since she had a bad ATV accident 20 years ago. She did get a Texas permit, but hasn't had the time for driving lessons yet. I chauffer both. :popcorn:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Seriously - when we were at Lowes a while back, they had a big ready-built shed that is big enough to build into an apartment. If it weren't for the fact my MIL can't do stairs, it'd be damn tempting to add one as a "tiny home" for her.

I think we’re on the same wavelength…but we had this built to put their stuff into, not them LMAO!

652A2E8B-237A-40B1-B8A8-A43277F65C7F.jpeg

Doons

FJB
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    Fort Worth
    Both FIL and MIL have lived with us for 4+ years now. FIL passed about 18mo’s ago. So just the MIL now. It would annoy me on occasion but for the most part it’s been fine. My MIL is quiet and easy to get along with. I do miss my FIL playing his squeeze box on Saturday mornings. I like Cajun and Zydeco music and he was pretty good. All in all, it has been fine and a very minor inconvenience. My wife got to spend some quality time with her Pops before the cancer came back and took him.

the other option…moving to LA… Noooooooo! Living with Cajuns (all on ‘em but me) in your house is one thing… be surrounded by them is another… they are fun to visit and a couple of my wife’s cousins always have some home made Shine to share.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    So we have this baby gate that separates Stetsons play room (AKA our living room) from the mud room and garage. It’s not good for babies to hang out in here, hence the gate.

This happened a few nights ago. MIL just came home from late bible study.
    MIL opens and walks thru the gate, but doesn’t close it behind her. Baby is awake and playing.

Me: can you close the gate behind you?
    MIL: yes, I close it every time
    Me: turn around, you left open, can you close it?
    MIL: who left it open? How can this be, I close it all the time
    Me: you left it open, I just watched you open it and walk thru it. Can you close it?
    MIL: we’ll somebody left it open and it wasn’t me
    Me: facepalm LOL

1650303106537.png

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    This is a regular discussion…
    MIL/FIL wash dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. Except they don’t wash the soap off.

More than once, I’m greeted by a dishwasher that’s overflowing with soapy suds.

So I typically have to take dishes out of the dishwasher, wash the soap off of them, then put them back into the expensive machine I bought that washes dishes for you.

Asking “do you wash your car before you take it to the car wash?” just results in blank stares LOL

For the garage conversion, MIL calls all the shots. FIL had just one request, and he was adamant about, like borderline angry:
    I don’t want a dishwasher! LMAO

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    It was explained to me you're better off NOT washing / pre-washing / rinsing dishes before putting them in the washer. I've done the whole pre-wash thing before, and now I personally just load it up. About every week or two I have to clean out the little filter / trap that keeps food particles from doing down the drain.

A bigger pain of late - the dish soap we use has been leaving residue. We hadn't changed brands, but I think they changed formulas. Leaves white nasty residue behind. I tried the Finish brand stuff, figuring it would be better, but no, same problem, if not worse. It actually left some granules behind, so we went with another version that uses gel pods, I forget the brand name.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    It was explained to me you're better off NOT washing / pre-washing / rinsing dishes before putting them in the washer. I've done the whole pre-wash thing before, and now I personally just load it up. About every week or two I have to clean out the little filter / trap that keeps food particles from doing down the drain.

A bigger pain of late - the dish soap we use has been leaving residue. We hadn't changed brands, but I think they changed formulas. Leaves white nasty residue behind. I tried the Finish brand stuff, figuring it would be better, but no, same problem, if not worse. It actually left some granules behind, so we went with another version that uses gel pods, I forget the brand name.
    Yeah, I think it's Cascade that has the gel pods. We've been using them for a couple of years with halfway decent results. Our dishwasher is kind of a piece of junk, though, so that affects performance.

Top Bottom