• ...and so much more!
  • TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I recently got myself setup with a strop to get that last 10-20% of sharpness but I've never used a strop before. Can anyone offer tips on productive strop usage?

Reference to @Grumps21 related thread:
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    What's a strope? Do you mean a strop? My great-grandfather had a strop made from Clydesdale hide. He used it like an expert to sharpen his straight edged razors. I inherited it, kept it in my basement and it got moldy and ruined. One of the few things that ever got moldy in my usually very dry basement. I miss having it for sentimental reasons.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    What's a strope? Do you mean a strop? My great-grandfather had a strop made from Clydesdale hide. He used it like an expert to sharpen his straight edged razors. I inherited it, kept it in my basement and it got moldy and ruined. One of the few things that ever got moldy in my usually very dry basement. I miss having it for sentimental reasons.
    Sorry. Yes, strop. (FIFY... Or FIFM lol)

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Strope is not hard to use. You don't need much pressure, maintain the correct angle or very slightly less angle. Leather gives more than a steel or stone. Don't store it in a damp place.
    I use one on my knives after each use. Keeps me from needing a stone or steel nearly as often.
    I have seen them listed with both spellings. Never have been able to figure out which is correct. I pronounce it "strop" though.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Strope is not hard to use. You don't need much pressure, maintain the correct angle or very slightly less angle. Leather gives more than a steel or stone. Don't store it in a damp place.
    I use one on my knives after each use. Keeps me from needing a stone or steel nearly as often.
    I have seen them listed with both spellings. Never have been able to figure out which is correct. I pronounce it "strop" though.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Do you use a little polishing compound or leather conditioner, or do your stroping on dry leather?

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest

You win "best profile pic".

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    You win "best profile pic".
    And it is supposed to be a moving gif file but I cannot get it to work on this site. Seeing her run and shoot is impressive for the obvious reason. If you click on the image, a new screen comes up with it, if I do that three times in total, at least I get to see the moving image.Try it, you will like it if it works.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    Check bladeforums.com; you'll learn way more than you (might) want to. I bought a Mouse Trap Steel from Razor Edge Systems. Even though I bought a nice sharpening system, and have a number of diamond stones and other sharpeners, only the Mouse Trap Steel gets used.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    And it is supposed to be a moving gif file but I cannot get it to work on this site. Seeing her run and shoot is impressive for the obvious reason. If you click on the image, a new screen comes up with it, if I do that three times in total, at least I get to see the moving image.Try it, you will like it if it works.
    Ooooooh my goodness gracious.
    She has very impressive... "attributes!"

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Good information here, although much the same as what y all have already said.

Attachments

• Product_Instruction_Bamboo_Strop_eBook.pdf
      3.6 MB · Views: 101
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom