Proper way to carry a 1911 concealed

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by tomhall75, Apr 30, 2008.

1. tomhall75

tomhall75 New Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Fort Worth
    I've got a Kimber Ultra Carry 2. I have been carrying it chambered Cocked and Locked in a Galco Leather inside the pant holster, which rubs and is a little uncomfortable. I know it's supposed to be comforting not comfortable, but still. I'm pretty new to this, so, am I carrying it properly cocked and locked? Being a very large man there is not many places to carry except on the side as far as I know. Any suggestions?

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Condition One (cocked and locked) is the only way to carry a 1911. In most instances of usage you will not have time to rack the slide. There are hundreds of holsters made for the 1911 so my suggestion would be to investigate the various types available to see if you can't get a more suitable fit.

Another thing is to wear a thin undershirt tucked in.

3. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    i will second alan and agree that condition 1 is the only way to go.

take the time to research and find some good holsters, dont be shy on the spending, you spent a couple of hundred on the gun, another hundred or so for a good holster that will make a large difference in comfort and concealment shouldnt matter.

4. DopaVash

DopaVash Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx

Try being tall and thin. You print through everthing :(

5. brainiac

brainiac Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Condition one is the only way to carry a 1911, what it was designed for.

Try a better holster. Nothing particular against Galco; I have one of their shoulder holsters I like, but the custom-made IWB holsters like Milt Sparks, Alessi, Brommeland, etc. will always be better and more comfortable than mass-produced holsters.

6. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    C&L is how I prefer to carry 1911s.

For a holster, you might go through several trying to find one that is comfortable ands fits well for you needs. Custom is the way to go. I make my holsters.

7. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I carry my Kimber Pro Carry HD in a Brommeland MaxConV and a Milt Sparks SSII. A good belt makes all the difference in the world so now I have 2 Beltman belts (one 1 1/4 horsehide and one 1 1/2 bullhide) and a Milt Sparks 1 1/2 horsehide.

I'm thin and carrying a heavy all steel gun isn't easy, but a good holster and belt make it great. Even without the new belts, it was not bad with a not so great normal belt.

8. Madhouse

Madhouse Active Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Always in condition one. I wear right on the hip, where the side belt loop is on jeans.

9. midnightrider

midnightrider Member

Mar 6, 2008
    +1 Condition one, else all you have is a very small club.:smoker:

10. chevydeerhunter

chevydeerhunter Well-Known

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Ditto on all replies. I carry mine cocked and locked in a Bianchi leather thumb break holster. One swift movement and it's out and ready.