• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomhall75

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Fort Worth
    I've got a Kimber Ultra Carry 2. I have been carrying it chambered Cocked and Locked in a Galco Leather inside the pant holster, which rubs and is a little uncomfortable. I know it's supposed to be comforting not comfortable, but still. I'm pretty new to this, so, am I carrying it properly cocked and locked? Being a very large man there is not many places to carry except on the side as far as I know. Any suggestions?
    Capitol Armory ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Condition One (cocked and locked) is the only way to carry a 1911. In most instances of usage you will not have time to rack the slide. There are hundreds of holsters made for the 1911 so my suggestion would be to investigate the various types available to see if you can't get a more suitable fit.

Another thing is to wear a thin undershirt tucked in.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    i will second alan and agree that condition 1 is the only way to go.

take the time to research and find some good holsters, dont be shy on the spending, you spent a couple of hundred on the gun, another hundred or so for a good holster that will make a large difference in comfort and concealment shouldnt matter.

DopaVash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    I've got a Kimber Ultra Carry 2. I have been carrying it chambered Cocked and Locked in a Galco Leather inside the pant holster, which rubs and is a little uncomfortable. I know it's supposed to be comforting not comfortable, but still. I'm pretty new to this, so, am I carrying it properly cocked and locked? Being a very large man there is not many places to carry except on the side as far as I know. Any suggestions?

Try being tall and thin. You print through everthing :(

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Condition one is the only way to carry a 1911, what it was designed for.

Try a better holster. Nothing particular against Galco; I have one of their shoulder holsters I like, but the custom-made IWB holsters like Milt Sparks, Alessi, Brommeland, etc. will always be better and more comfortable than mass-produced holsters.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    C&L is how I prefer to carry 1911s.

For a holster, you might go through several trying to find one that is comfortable ands fits well for you needs. Custom is the way to go. I make my holsters.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I carry my Kimber Pro Carry HD in a Brommeland MaxConV and a Milt Sparks SSII. A good belt makes all the difference in the world so now I have 2 Beltman belts (one 1 1/4 horsehide and one 1 1/2 bullhide) and a Milt Sparks 1 1/2 horsehide.

I'm thin and carrying a heavy all steel gun isn't easy, but a good holster and belt make it great. Even without the new belts, it was not bad with a not so great normal belt.

tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    The holster and belt are a major issue in carrying comfortably. Cocked & locked is really not an issue for comfort. I, like so many others here, have a holster drawer, box, bin...etc., that holds holsters purchased, used and discarded when something a little better came along. I have even known folks sell a gun they really like because they can't carry it comfortably.

I never realized just how much a good holster matters until a buddy let me try his for a week. As the saying goes " I saw the light" since then I will not carry in anything but a custom holster of only certain designs. My favorite, well that would be my Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 that holds my four inch 1911 very comfortably & securely. I keep that holster steady and supported using a Don Hume gunbelt. This holster has a body shield so the hammer, safety or any part of the gun never touches my body.

You have got to give this some consideration and realize that anything less will never completely satisfy you by providing the comfort you need for all day carry. I too am a large guy, 6'6" at around 300lbs and a bit more around the middle than I want there. This setup is easily carried, without any printing or discomfort. The wrap around design of the VM2 is a major issue in it's comfort and concealment when worn IWB. The spaced belt loops really anchor it in place with no rocking back & forth.

tex45acp

ProVM2.jpg

Moe Howard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    As others have already said cocked and locked is the way to go. As to the holster I have ordered a BlackHawk leather IWB holster for my current 1911. I have had many holster for 1911s both production and custom holsters and non work better for me than this one. I have had one previously and was glad to find it again. It is thin, light, smooth, and in spite of only having one belt loop it holds very steady. Also as others have stated you really need a good belt. If you have a leather store close to you it is much cheaper to make one for about $20-@25 including buckle than buying one for $60-$100. Here is the only picture I still have of the last BlackHawk holster I had.

Ronsstuff2.jpg

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Always carry in cocked and locked. For comfort a good holster is required. I like mine to have a body shield because the hammer, safety, beavertail etc hurt when I bend or lean to the strong side. Just me. I also like OWB because I'm fat.

XoZe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    Plano, TX
    I have the same gun & probably holster as you do (Ultra CDP II in a Galco) and find it quite comfortable, even when on the motorcycle with the tight leather jacket.

I think it is just a matter of trying a few out until you find the right fit.

tomhall75

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Fort Worth
    I've got the ultra carry 2, man I'd love to get a CDP, but it was around $400 more. Beautiful weapon. I find the galco leather rubs the skin raw some so I've started wearing an undershirt. It's not too hot now, but I'm not lookin' forward to August.

Top Bottom