Property overtaken by Mesquite

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bobk, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Bobk

Bobk Active Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    What's your thoughts on property that is overgrown by Mesquite Trees/bushes along with Prickly Pear Cactus. Is it worth trying to clean up?

2. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What are you using the property for?

3. Bobk

Bobk Active Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    It was an old farm property that had been abondoned for about the last 20 years. It has two old farm houses that were falling down and a lot of trash. Old cars, a boat, bottles, washing machines, televisions etc. I know that it would be great for hunting but I'm not sure if I could clean up enough area for a couple of acres for cabin/weekend retreat or later a small homesite. I wanted a place kind of just to get away from it all. Maybe plant some coastal grass, grow some vegetables. Kind of wanted to be able to bring the kids and dog out without the worry of being stuck with all the thorns.

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I'd clean it up. Time to break out a tractor!

5. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would clean up all the trash. As far as the Mesquite and cactus, they will just keep coming back. Goats should keep it all down, but that may be more of a hassle.

6. jordanmills

jordanmills Well-Known

Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Mesquite is the gift that keeps on giving. Try to think of it as unlimited free firewood for life.

7. codygjohnson

codygjohnson Eats breakfast everyday Lifetime Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Rent a dozer.

8. Jason

Jason Well-Known

Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    How large of a property and what kind of cars are there???

9. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    It'll grow back thicker unless done every few years.

10. Pony

Pony Member

May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I cleared about 5 acres with chainsaws and a small 32HP tractor. The place looks amazing now. Its usable, were before it was just an ever encroaching mess.
    I keep on top of mine by spraying Grazon Next to kill the new growth (its won't kill the grass). I sprigged the area with coastal from other parts of my property, and also threw down some contractor packs of seed. New growth dropped off dramatically, its starting to be just grass! I bought a $200 tank and sprayer boom from Tractor Supply, and fixed it to a $50 hitch luggage carrier from Harbor Freight - I have a spray rig I can put on the tractor or even on the pickup if I want, all for less that $300

Having spent 6 months solid, some 12 hour days, clearing all the area I would probably rent a dozer next time. I had some fun working with my laborer, but it took a long time to do it and renting a dozer for 3 days would be cheaper than his hourly wage for 6 months.

Def. clear it, you'll be glad you did every time you look at it, at least thats how the wife and I feel.