• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr_Nimslow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    It's not a bad rifle, I do think the AUG feels "handier".

IpvhEVl.jpg

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    If someone just happens to have an AUG, and they are coming out to TSSR in Oct., I would love to be able to compare them side by side.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    This thread is old and I wish I saw it earlier, but I'll throw in my $0.02 anyway. I got a Tavor SAR 5.56 a while back for $1300. Would I recommend it or the X95? Definitely.

I have about 3000 rounds through it now, which isn't a lot, but enough to say if I like it.

Pros:
    Reliable

Not ammo picky

Well designed

Decent aftermarket for modding and accessories

Easy to clear malfunctions

Easily converted from right to left hand

Easy to use when transitioning to offhand shoulder

Even bone stock it's perfectly usable and has decent BUS that fold up from the rail.

Excellent balance of the weapon

Very short overall length. My 16" barreled SAR is at 26.25" with my manticore arms buttpad

Cons:
    Heavy, 8lbs despite being primarily polymer

Extremely gassy

Not a great suppressor host (mostly because of how gassy it is)

Not extremely accurate, mine is around 2 moa on avg

Notes:
    These are not really pros or cons, but things to consider.

It requires training to adjust to a bullpup, even with the X95, which has similar controls to an AR, but the mag placement is still odd relatively. This is especially difficult for a lot of people who have spent a lot of time on an AR platform.

The design can be somewhat difficult to find a way to comfortably hold it. I find I need to get just the right place to have my cheek weld low enough into the stock to see through the rds easily and I don't really want to make the rds any higher up because the height over barrel is already quite extreme. Some facial bone structure will make this particularly uncomfortable, but raising the sight will fix this issue.

I really enjoyed the rifle bone stock or heavily modded. I don't think either way is really better. It's just a great rifle to shoot. People who are very sensative to the typical mushiness of a bullpup trigger will definitely need to change the trigger pack and trigger bow

It is not a competitive rifle. It's a battle rifle. Don't buy it if you want a competition rifle. It is what it is.

They're not dime a dozen at the range, it's a bit more unique to see and people show interest

Love it or hate it, it's a great rifle. I'd probably consider a Steyr Aug out of all the other bullpups other than a Tavor. I've not seen any others that offer the usability of those two bullpups that I would want.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Kel-Tec is too unreliable. You never know if the one you bought will work or not. That said, I still want a P-32 and a PMR or whatever they call the .22 mag pistol.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not a great suppressor host (mostly because of how gassy it is).

I will add that in 9mm it's a very quiet and fun so shoot as a suppressor host.
    The only factory 9mm Tavor I've ever seen is the one I have. Conversion kits are not cheap, $800ish!

As mentioned previously, I want a Tavor in 300BLK to suppress, though the gassiness worries me.

An additional con is that bringing the muzzle blast a good bit closer to your cabeza makes all bullpups seem loud to me. The price paid for the physical brevity.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I will add that in 9mm it's a very quiet and fun so shoot as a suppressor host.
    The only factory 9mm Tavor I've ever seen is the one I have. Conversion kits are not cheap, $800ish!

As mentioned previously, I want a Tavor in 300BLK to suppress, though the gassiness worries me.

An additional con is that bringing the muzzle blast a good bit closer to your cabeza makes all bullpups seem loud to me. The price paid for the physical brevity.
    The 9mm might be alright, gas wise, but I'd rather have a CZ scorpion than a 9mm Tavor in all honesty. My post was strictly from my experience with 5.56/.223 Tavor. I imagine the 300 BLK is just as gassy. I've noticed most of the gas is from where the pic rail is. It doesn't seal it up, so a lot of gas escapes from the back of the pic rail and goes across the right side of the face. I'm sure some messing about with it could fix that, but I've been taking of the pic rail pretty regularly for mods up until now, so I didn't want to fool with it just yet.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The 9mm might be alright, gas wise, ....

Yes. The 9mm Tavor is fantastic suppressed.
    Some blow back pistol caliber carbines, when suppressed, vent a lot of gas and blast out the ejection port.
    Not the Tavor. I think that heavy Tavor bolt cycles relatively slowly and allows the bullet to exit and the pressure drop prior to the extracting case mouth clearing the rear of the barrel. Also, there is no gas block port venting super-pressure gasses.

The 5.56 is the opposite.
    Suppressed it's over-gassed and the bolt furiously slams back before the pressure in the can drops I think.

I've read that the 300BLK Tavor has an adjustable gas block. A huge benefit when shooting suppressed.
    I NEED one!

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Yes. The 9mm Tavor is fantastic suppressed.
    Some blow back pistol caliber carbines, when suppressed, vent a lot of gas and blast out the ejection port.
    Not the Tavor. I think that heavy Tavor bolt cycles relatively slowly and allows the bullet to exit and the pressure drop prior to the extracting case mouth clearing the rear of the barrel. Also, there is no gas block port venting super-pressure gasses.

The 5.56 is the opposite.
    Suppressed it's over-gassed and the bolt furiously slams back before the pressure in the can drops I think.

I've read that the 300BLK Tavor has an adjustable gas block. A huge benefit when shooting suppressed.
    I NEED one!
    CZ scorpion suppresses excellent. A little bit more recoil, but it has a massive chunky bolt and it's straight blow back.

I'd be interested in a 300 BLK conversion if it's got an adjustable gas block, thatd be neat. I hadn't heard that, but I haven't dug into them a ton either.

Honestly I really need to buy an extra barrel or two and a set of all the other replacement parts so I have enough stuff to keep the little guy running for a lifetime. I kind of worry how long they'll offer replacement parts for it.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I have the X95 in 5.56 and it has been a great "CQB" rifle (approx 1200 rds. so far), with no issues or failures at all. It shoots "sub 2 MOA" groups at 100 yds with a Burris AR 556 5 x scope. Fun to shoot (although not light), but the balance is good (rear heavy), so easy to handle with one hand if needed. It is a great "truck gun" in my opinion (plenty of room in the tool box). As long as you don't expect it to be something it was never intended to be, it's a nice little gun.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Wholly necro-thread....
    As a Tavor owner I can say that it is the same overall length as an MP5 but has the same or more powerful cartridge and a 16” barrel instead of an 8” with no pesky SBR tax stamp. I bought mine as a .223 but put a 9mm kit on it. It is really superb as either.
    I prefer the SAR to the X95, if it matters.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Really wish you hadn't reminded me of that. Now I need to get the conversion kits. AAAAANND yet another caliber to start making room for.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    CZ scorpion suppresses excellent. A little bit more recoil, but it has a massive chunky bolt and it's straight blow back.

I'd be interested in a 300 BLK conversion if it's got an adjustable gas block, thatd be neat. I hadn't heard that, but I haven't dug into them

I bought mine as a .223 but put a 9mm kit on it. It is really superb as either.
    I prefer the SAR to the X95, if it matters.

I didn’t know the Tacor has a 9mm conversion kit.

As noted above, I’d been wanting a 300 BLK version...but as I understand it, subsonic 300 BLK has similar ballistics to 9mm.

So perhaps I’ll have to add one back onto the wish list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom