• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Its not as cut n dry as OC Vs CC, there is 3rd state of carry one which may offer the best of both worlds. Carry a big gun, 1911, S&W 686 44 mag 8 in bbl, Desert Eagle 50 AE etc,

Hard to CC a large gun, but takes more observation by someone to notice and unless they are knowledgeable they are sure what it is, but most can only guess.

I have carried both OC/CC. I have found if I carry in small Texas town OC like Hico you don't a second look or if you do, its someone who has an interest in your gun and they are a gun owner, often they will pull theirs out of CC to show you.

Sometimes I wear my US Army issue shoulder harness and have my 1911 in it, hard to disguise that. I haven't found a CC holster for my Desert Eagle yet, but when I do I will carry it also.

Go big or go home sometimes and they either know, don't know or they think umm maybe!

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I have always been CC only.

Just lately, I have begun to wonder if everyone should OC. Maybe this would get the general public used to seeing guns and get some folks past their irrational fear of guns.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Its not as cut n dry as OC Vs CC, there is 3rd state of carry one which may offer the best of both worlds. Carry a big gun, 1911, S&W 686 44 mag 8 in bbl, Desert Eagle 50 AE etc,

Hard to CC a large gun, but takes more observation by someone to notice and unless they are knowledgeable they are sure what it is, but most can only guess.

I have carried both OC/CC. I have found if I carry in small Texas town OC like Hico you don't a second look or if you do, its someone who has an interest in your gun and they are a gun owner, often they will pull theirs out of CC to show you.

Sometimes I wear my US Army issue shoulder harness and have my 1911 in it, hard to disguise that. I haven't found a CC holster for my Desert Eagle yet, but when I do I will carry it also.

Go big or go home sometimes and they either know, don't know or they think umm maybe!

Are you missing a comma here or something?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Only asked because a 686 is not available in .44
    You are right...I had a 686 and a 629. Still have the 629, but the 686, brand new, unfired was STOLEN from me by the Chief of Police.

My girlfriend was a manger for 2 stores in the mall and on Friday she took all the cash to the bank after the stores closed and made a night deposit. Well some guy was hanging around and she left because she was scared. She went back later that night. I gave her my new 686 to carry with her and she got pulled over for speeding and had the gun laying in the seat, gave her a ticket and cop took the gun when she told the cop it was not hers. So I went to go get it and was told, sure no problem, get a lawyer. Called a lawyer and he just laughed, saying must have a nice gun, this is NOT rare. Time you get back and you will you will spent enough money to buy a half dozen of them, suggest you go buy another one, because its gonna take a about a year to get it back and when you do its gonna be well used by then...

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

That brings up a good question....how many here CC with a holster rig not usually designed as a CC rig: chest holster, cross-draw holster, etc.?

You are right...I had a 686 and a 629. Still have the 629, but the 686, brand new, unfired was STOLEN from me by the Chief of Police.

Did you report it to the Attorney General or DPS? They tend to look into that kind of thing.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    That brings up a good question....how many here CC with a holster rig not usually designed as a CC rig: chest holster, cross-draw holster, etc.?

Did you report it to the Attorney General or DPS? They tend to look into that kind of thing.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    No, did not waste my time after talking to the lawyer. Had a friend of mine had almost the same thing happen to them. They were moving out of their rental house into their new home and doing it over night. Local LEO kept seeing this pickup hauling stuff over and over again. He decided to stop, it was the last trip for her and she had her 2 kids in the truck with her. Cop pulls her over just to make sure this was not a theft going on. LEO asks for her DL and it was in her wallet in the glove box of the truck. She tells daughter to open and give her the wallet...OUT falls her house gun. LEO arrests here at 3 am, gets her out of the car, handcuffs her, hauls her to jail. Her 2 girls are under the age of 15, LEO let her call her X, wakes him up and tells him to come get the truck and the kids, she goes to jail, LEO leaves the truck and the kids in on a highway at 3:30 am to wait on their father.

She never got the gun back, she beats the rap in court. The judge told the LEO everything he did was wrong, leaving children on the side of the road at that time of the morning, of course nothing was done to him.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

I have an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster that I sometimes use during cooler months when I will wear a jacket, but for the most part I prefer a belt holster.

I also have a M7 1911 holster that looks great when it has my Springfield GI with the sweetheart grips in it, but I don't OC with my 1911s.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    No, did not waste my time after talking to the lawyer. Had a friend of mine had almost the same thing happen to them. They were moving out of their rental house into their new home and doing it over night. Local LEO kept seeing this pickup hauling stuff over and over again. He decided to stop, it was the last trip for her and she had her 2 kids in the truck with her. Cop pulls her over just to make sure this was not a theft going on. LEO asks for her DL and it was in her wallet in the glove box of the truck. She tells daughter to open and give her the wallet...OUT falls her house gun. LEO arrests here at 3 am, gets her out of the car, handcuffs her, hauls her to jail. Her 2 girls are under the age of 15, LEO let her call her X, wakes him up and tells him to come get the truck and the kids, she goes to jail, LEO leaves the truck and the kids in on a highway at 3:30 am to wait on their father.

She never got the gun back, she beats the rap in court. The judge told the LEO everything he did was wrong, leaving children on the side of the road at that time of the morning, of course nothing was done to him.

Sometimes you have to spend the time and money to go after officials breaking the law just on the principle of the issue and to prevent them from continuing to break the law.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have always been CC only.

Just lately, I have begun to wonder if everyone should OC. Maybe this would get the general public used to seeing guns and get some folks past their irrational fear of guns.

You are 100% correct, sir! That's ONE of the TWO reasons I OC exclusively...that is, aside from the VERY SAME (first & foremost) reason CCers carry: To have a gun ON them for self-defense/personal protection while out & about -- and @ HOME, too, as no place is "safe" anymore nowadays in America. But sadly, that's where the similarity between OCers and CCers ends. :-(

The 2 reasons I OC (and something ONLY OCers can accomplish; CCers can't) are what I call "D&E" -- Desensitizing and Educating. To put the whole concept of OCing into a simple "math formula" (if you will), it'd be "D + E = N" -- meaning, Desensitizing + Education = Normalizing.

I could go on but it's a lengthy topic...and since most CCers don't get it at all, and most CCers don't want to (even when explained -- they're OCer's worst (!) critics BTW) I don't want to "debate" (aka: argue) it here. I just now saw your comment and wanted to say yeah, you're right! ;-)

Unfortunately, there just aren't enough of us OCers out there, so we're not getting as much D&E done as WOULD be possible if MORE people OCed. But given my personal experience/hundreds of conversations with CCers (and "gun newbies") while OCing in 3 different states (CO, NM and now TX) that'll probably never happen.

Still, those of us who DO OC regularly do what we can when we meet people who stop to talk to us -- because they see our guns vs. NOT seeing them on CCers (of course!), so CCers AREN'T asked any questions. So while there's almost zero opportunity for CCers to spread the "Gun Gospel" (!) amongst the general public (and I only bring it up when asked, I never push it on people) OCers have PLENTY of opportunities. Even if OCers don't speak to anyone, all the people around them in stores/restaurants (customers, managers, employees) might see the gun (I say "might" because MOST don't notice, but at least SOME do!), and it's carried by someone who is NOT a cop...something they may have NEVER seen before. Even cops out there may NEVER have seen an OCer before. Then they do...and yet nothing bad happens just because "there's a gun in the house!" It's just We the People carrying and going about our normal/everyday business (where we can OC legally, of course). No big deal...and quite contrary to liberal media, politicians, and other ignorant anti-gun people.

So the general public (or cops!) just SEEING a gun on a citizen gets something done -- the "D" in D&E -- and if they then ask questions, it opens up the opportunity for "E" -- Educating. And may I add, during the conversation OCers can encourage (another "E" perhaps?) people to CARRY also: At least encourage them to stop "thinking about" getting their CC permit (as some have told me) and get busy GETTING it. Since I realize MOST people will never OC I don't even suggest THEY OC also (plus, it takes a different type of person to OC vs. CC)....but I DO (and strongly) suggest they get their permit (if their state requires one) to carry CC at the very least.

So IMO, OCers even help CCers: By "dispensing" whatever D&E they can as opportunity permits, OCers can get people to "relax" more about seeing guns in public, especially seeing guns in the hands of good, decent people (not just cops!), and just might make the general public NOT vote for ignorant anti-gun politicians and and/or support any do-nothing anti-gun legislation, especially when it comes to legislation that would FURTHER compromise the RIGHT of self-defense at home or away from home.

ETA: For example, if the general public (and cops) don't ever SEE people OCing, they might think "I never see anyone OCing, so we really don't "need" that to be allowed anymore." Along with that is the saying, "A right un-exercised is a right lost." So exercise it...

Whatever, how can D&E NOT be something extremely positive & worthwhile to work towards?

MY way to do it -- meaning actively and in-person, to DO something to make a difference vs. just talking about it in forums as most "gun people" (especially CARRIERS) DO absolutely nothing for "the cause" -- is to OC. ;-)

Happy carrying...however you do it,
    -- BR
    (President, Open Carry El Paso)

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    You are 100% correct, sir! That's ONE of the TWO reasons I OC exclusively...that is, aside from the VERY SAME (first & foremost) reason CCers carry: To have a gun ON them for self-defense/personal protection while out & about -- and @ HOME, too, as no place is "safe" anymore nowadays in America. But sadly, that's where the similarity between OCers and CCers ends. :-(

The 2 reasons I OC (and something ONLY OCers can accomplish; CCers can't) are what I call "D&E" -- Desensitizing and Educating. To put the whole concept of OCing into a simple "math formula" (if you will), it'd be "D + E = N" -- meaning, Desensitizing + Education = Normalizing.

I could go on but it's a lengthy topic...and since most CCers don't get it at all, and most CCers don't want to (even when explained -- they're OCer's worst (!) critics BTW) I don't want to "debate" (aka: argue) it here. I just now saw your comment and wanted to say yeah, you're right! ;-)

Unfortunately, there just aren't enough of us OCers out there, so we're not getting as much D&E done as WOULD be possible if MORE people OCed. But given my personal experience/hundreds of conversations with CCers (and "gun newbies") while OCing in 3 different states (CO, NM and now TX) that'll probably never happen.

Still, those of us who DO OC regularly do what we can when we meet people who stop to talk to us -- because they see our guns vs. NOT seeing them on CCers (of course!), so CCers AREN'T asked any questions. So while there's almost zero opportunity for CCers to spread the "Gun Gospel" (!) amongst the general public (and I only bring it up when asked, I never push it on people) OCers have PLENTY of opportunities. Even if OCers don't speak to anyone, all the people around them in stores/restaurants (customers, managers, employees) might see the gun (I say "might" because MOST don't notice, but at least SOME do!), and it's carried by someone who is NOT a cop...something they may have NEVER seen before. Even cops out there may NEVER have seen an OCer before. Then they do...and yet nothing bad happens just because "there's a gun in the house!" It's just We the People carrying and going about our normal/everyday business (where we can OC legally, of course). No big deal...and quite contrary to liberal media, politicians, and other ignorant anti-gun people.

So the general public (or cops!) just SEEING a gun on a citizen gets something done -- the "D" in D&E -- and if they then ask questions, it opens up the opportunity for "E" -- Educating. And may I add, during the conversation OCers can encourage (another "E" perhaps?) people to CARRY also: At least encourage them to stop "thinking about" getting their CC permit (as some have told me) and get busy GETTING it. Since I realize MOST people will never OC I don't even suggest THEY OC also (plus, it takes a different type of person to OC vs. CC)....but I DO (and strongly) suggest they get their permit (if their state requires one) to carry CC at the very least.

So IMO, OCers even help CCers: By "dispensing" whatever D&E they can as opportunity permits, OCers can get people to "relax" more about seeing guns in public, especially seeing guns in the hands of good, decent people (not just cops!), and just might make the general public NOT vote for ignorant anti-gun politicians and and/or support any do-nothing anti-gun legislation, especially when it comes to legislation that would FURTHER compromise the RIGHT of self-defense at home or away from home. How can that NOT be something extremely positive & worthwhile to work towards?

MY way to do it -- meaning actively and in-person, to DO something to make a difference vs. just talking about it in forums as most "gun people" (especially CARRIERS) DO absolutely nothing for "the cause" -- is to OC. ;-)

Happy carrying...however you do it,
    -- BR
    I have to wonder how long your lengthy post would be. I don't get asked anything, but I do OC. It's more comfortable to carry OWB and I most often have my shirt tucked in and untuck it where I have to.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have to wonder how long your lengthy post would be. I don't get asked anything, but I do OC. It's more comfortable to carry OWB and I most often have my shirt tucked in and untuck it where I have to.

1. They can get just a tad (!) longer, as that's what I do: I'm a writer. But I prefer in-person discussions, really -- writing (text) is too difficult nowadays (having Dyslexia requires lots of effort just to find/correct the MANY typos/make clarifications) and talk really IS cheap (cost less effort & time-wise, yet much more can be said).

2. OC isn't a topic covered often, and in fact, I know of only ONE online "national" Open-Carry forum that is devoted to OC exclusively (but only handguns: OCing long-guns is OT there). So when OC is brought up, IMO it deserves a more detailed response (but no way really can OC be covered in its entirety in a forum)...so I do that.

3. I got "asked questions" more often in CO than I have in NM and TX, so I guess where you live makes one difference re: who will approach/talk to you. Also, if they get a "leave me alone" vibe (body language) from you or not. Who knows?

4. Yes, if a gun can't be carried comfortably, it often isn't carried at all! NOT good leaving it @ home or in the car, is it. OCing is VERY comfortable for me, be it a full-size 1911 (don't have a .44 Desert Eagle) or a small "Pocket Gun. CCing is comfortable also, but for me only smaller guns.

5. I DO have a CC permit...so I DO CC and so am (technically) a CCer also. It's just that I only CC 0.01% of the time, and only when I MUST. ;-)

-- BR

Last edited:

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    So, I take it you are pro OC, huh.

No, I'm totally against it...I don't know how you got that impression even after my "long" post forum member easy rider mentioned! Will try to communicate better next time, my apologies this time. ;-)

Seriously, though, they BOTH have their place...I just choose to OC for some of the reasons I mentioned (but not ALL the reasons I OC).
    -- BR

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    No, I'm totally against it...I don't know how you got that impression even after my "long" post forum member easy rider mentioned! Will try to communicate better next time, my apologies this time. ;-)

Seriously, though, they BOTH have their place...I just choose to OC for some of the reasons I mentioned (but not ALL the reasons I OC).
    -- BR
    I didn't mean it was too long, I just found it funny when I started reading your first post that you mentioned it could be lengthy only to see how lengthy it already was. I actually enjoyed reading it.

Top Bottom