• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMATT199

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia,tx
    I have been going to Shooters Station in Conroe for the past three years. In the beginning it was great. But now I really dont like this place.

Lets start with the Pros:
    The owner, Danny. He is a great guy. Very friendly and caring. I admire him for his animal rescue efforts.

The facility, great! I like the ways it is laid out. The new rifle range will be awesome. They have a good inventory of quality firearms.

Thats the end of the pros......

The Cons:

The staff at Shooters Station is the worst I have ever seen. And I have been to most gun stores in the area. They lack customer service. I have never been in a retail business with such terriable customer service. They are just flat out RUDE to customers. They have very little knowledge of what they sell. They put forth no effort to greet you when you walk in the door. Lately every time I go in there one person will be leaning on the counter and the other is surfing the internet. Nobody will even say hello, or can I help you. My other BIG concern is the safety. The last few times I was there people in the range were very careless with their weapons. Loading and charging their weapons at the bench. Then turning around pointing their weapon at people to get to the stalls. Nobody monitors your safety on the range. This is the main reason I do not use the range anymore. A couple of days ago I went by to pick up some supplies. I always look to see what new guns they have. After standing at the counter for 5 minutes I finally had to ask someone to show me a pistol. I was the only one at the counter. When he did finally helped me, I asked to see a used Sig I liked. He reached and just handed me the gun. That was the first time I have ever had anyone hand me a gun without clearing to check and see if it was safe. It was used, it counld have been loaded. What the hell was he thinking.

Like I said before in my pros, good inventory, But the prices on guns and supplies are the highest in the area.(thats why I buy all my guns from Tomball Pawn, best prices you will find with great customer service)

I really hope Danny sees this and makes some changes. They are my closest range and I really like the facility, But the staff and prices SUCK!!!!! Not to mention the safety issues. You are taking your life into your own hands when shooting @ Shooters Station.

JMHO
    Target Sports

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Loading and charging their weapons at the bench. Then turning around pointing their weapon at people to get to the stalls.
    You talking about the bench behind the shooting stations? I've never seen that happen but I've only shot there a handful of times.

Who is Danny? The older small framed guy? He is definitely the most customer oriented of the bunch. The 35ish sandy blonde haired guy ... yea, I've got no time for that d'wad.

My first visit there last summer was VERY good but it HAS gone down hill since. I've complained about them elsewhere on the forum and agree with the majority of your post. They really screwed me over twice when I tried to get < $40 worth of parts. I only call/visit them if I can't find it elsewhere. I live E. of Huntsville and drive the extra ~40 miles past Shooter's to get to Spring Guns n Ammo to shoot.

I too hope the management sees this and accepts it for the constructive criticism it's intended to be.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Let me start by trying to say the most innocuous thing I can, something to get across my clear intent to not just complain but demonstrate that I understand some of the issues involved and empathize with small businesses like Shooters Station. To wit: Running any retail establishment is really, really hard. Libraries full of books have been written on the subject.

Generally, I like Shooters Station and the people there. They seem nice and there are lots of pretty guns to look at. I'm not a regular customer but I've been there several times.

In my experience, the customer service is average for gun stores. That means that it's roughly the same as Gander or Carter's or Collector's, i.e. I can go in, stand at one spot at the counter, stare at a pistol in the case, and there's a 50/50 chance that anyone will pay me a lick of attention within 5 minutes. This may be a combination of apathy, understaffing, incompetence, or poor training...but it is pretty much the norm in the industry. I can't really single out Shooters Station for this because it's fairly normal and all my visits have been at semi-busy (at least) times.

You mentioned Tomball Pawn. Yep, they sure do wait on you quickly there. You get greeted when you come in, usually. The ability to have a gun shown to you is pretty much immediate. They ensure this by having sales staff standing shoulder-to-shoulder behind the very small number of linear feet of counter space they've devoted to guns. That way, they can handle the 3-deep crowd of customers they often have.

But to someone who knows anything about floorspace allocation in retail, Tomball Pawn is just flat-out insane. Given the volume they do, they should have long ago wiped half their floor space of used tools and used DVDs that nobody ever seems to browse. They should be devoting far more space to firearms. But that's a "by the book" viewpoint. In reality, maybe concentrating the guns in one little corner of the store makes the whole situation easier to manage for them.

Back to Shooters Station - Given their floor layout, it's impossible for staff to adequately serve any customers who aren't standing at the front counter. "Sales by walking around" just ain't possible when the floor is that crowded and when there's an entire display counter/case area across the store from the main area, that second area is never going to be staffed. (At least, it's never staffed when I've been in the place.)

Under the best of circumstances, customer service is incredibly difficult. Ever walk into a restaurant where they walk you to your seat and find that there's no one standing at the front kiosk to greet you and seat you? In that biz, THAT is an unforgivable sin. Yet, it happens. Denny's is notorious for it. This just illustrates my point - owners and floor managers have to decide where to put their finite resources. At most gun stores, a timely greeting of "Can I help you?" is a rarity. The gun store that immediately greets you when you walk through the door with "Hi. Can I help you find something in particular? No? That's cool. When you want to look at something, just yell at any of us wearing these shirts with the store logo." is so rare as to be almost non-existent, even though I consider that level of customer service to be the rock-bottom minimum level of acceptability.

My point is - Every proprietor must adapt to their space and spend as much time and effort on traditional touchy-feely customer service as seems most prudent to them. At Shooters Station, those two factors are fighting against each other, badly. If there's more than a few people in the store, it may not be possible for the staff to have a line-of-sight to even see that you've entered the store, so a greeting becomes impossible. I don't want to write a boring book on the subject, but the floor is so ridiculously crowded and poorly arranged (pretty much the entire front third of the store appears to be a dead zone, in a proper retail store layout sense) that it strongly interferes with the performance of basic customer service.

Every store owner and manager has to work this out for themselves. You're helping by bringing the situation out for discussion. I just hope someone from Shooters Station will drop by and add their thoughts or at least consider what you have to say

One final comment on safety, added here at the end since I think it's such a completely separate issue from customer service: I never buy range time at Shooters Station because they aren't my closest. However, if people are loading in one area and moving their firearms to the shooting stalls, then the muzzles of loaded firearms will almost inevitably wind up sweeping other customers. Obviously, that's bad. Spring G&A had the same problem and they responded by removing the separate loading area, putting some shelving (carts, actually) at each shooting stall, and requiring that each shooter handle and load weapons *only* while at the firing point. Gander Mountain works the same way. This seems to address the problem adequately. Does it appear to you that Shooters Station has room to do the same? If so, I encourage you to offer that suggestion to the owner the next time you see him.

JMATT199

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia,tx
    Good input Benenglish, I have managed a retail business for 35 years. I pride myself and my employees on good customer service. None of the people at Shooters Station except Alan would work for me for very long. My business is successful because of the customer service we provide. The best advertising I have found is word of mouth. Retail these days is hard. But great customer service will always bring them back no matter what the price is.

At the time I was at the counter, I was the only customer in the store. Four employees and not one could say hello, or can I help you. Come on man. That is just flat out piss poor management and lack of training.

But the main bitch I have is the SAFETY @ Shooters Station. There is none. Again, poor management and training from people who do not care. I don't know about you, but I don't feel like getting shot over it.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I know nothing of retailing 101 and don't care if a store is poorly laid out or cramped, as long as I get help if needed. My complaints are with the staff and how they do (or don't) interact with me. Their prices are nothing to brag about as well.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Every place has it's pros and cons. Spring G&A doesn't have a bench behind the shooting line and I know of people that hate that and won't shoot there because of it. Shooters Station seems to have a fairly good variety of guns, unlike some of their competitors, but I have to say that their prices are usually a lot higher than other places. Overall, it's not a bad place; I've shot there and I've bought a pistol there. I don't shoot there as often as other places and I don't buy as much there as other places. They could improve.

I was surprised that somebody rated Carters as "average". There are some LONG threads ranting about their customer service. Their prices are generally good, but I try very, very hard to buy from anyone else in preference to Carters. I've just had too many times when I've left angry because of rude service, severe safety issues, 'bait-and-switch' advertising, etc.

JMATT199

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia,tx
    Don't get me wrong people. I like the facility at Shooters Station and the way it is laid out. And the inventory of guns and supplies is good. It is the PEOPLE that work there. NO customer service, lack of knowledge, very bad management, lack of employee training. So here it is in a nut shell.

Danny, you need a new manager badley,you need to train your people on customer service, provide product knowledge training, but most of all work on SAFETY TRAINING before someone gets killed!!!!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Spring G&A doesn't have a bench behind the shooting line and I know of people that hate that and won't shoot there because of it.

They had one and took it out for the reasons cited by the OP. People were loading their guns on the back bench then pointing them in all sorts of unsafe directions on the way to the shooting stall.

Basic complaint about nearly all ranges: the stalls are too narrow. No one would complain about the lack of a back bench if the stalls were wide enough. Only Gander Mountain (in my area) has shooting lanes that are wide enough.

I was surprised that somebody rated Carters as "average".

I did. I probably shouldn't have but I was feeling charitable.

My favorite Carter's story: I'm talking to a sales guy. He takes a phone call, gives his name, tells the caller "Yeah, sure, we've got that in stock" without going anywhere or looking up anything. 20 minutes later I'm still talking to the same guy. He hasn't moved from that spot. A guy walks up and interrupts us. "Hi, my name is Mike. We just talked on the phone about that shotgun. I'm here to buy it."

Carter's clerk is like a deer caught in the headlights. He mumbles something about getting it from the back, leaves, returns empty-handed, then flat-out lies to the customer, saying that someone must have bought the last one they had in stock sometime in the last 10 or 15 minutes.

I avoid Carter's, too.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Every place has it's pros and cons. Spring G&A doesn't have a bench behind the shooting line and I know of people that hate that and won't shoot there because of it.
    When you see rifles falling onto the floor because people don't secure them properly, that's one thing that will keep me away. I'm not saying the answer is to put the benches back, but the layout could be improved. Had a thread about that recently... http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/general-firearms-ammo-sponsored-eastex-guns/30821-suggestion-spring-guns-ammo-management.html

As far as customer service goes, some gun stores are better than others, but I've found that most are right there with auto parts places when it comes to paying attention to someone.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Never been to the area, but I have come to a point where I don't mind paying alittle more for cusomer service and knowledge. I usually research the hell out of a gun before I buy it but I had an experience at academy where I asked for a PX4 .40 cal and was handed one in .45 then had to explain to the guy how I knew it was not a .40 because he was convinced otherwise. Figured it out when I pointed out the .45 ACP mark and explained PX4 was a model that covered all calibers and did not stand for .40. I also got tired of standing at the counter and being ignored, at times even when saying "ecuse me sir" as they passed by. Now I tend to go to pracco's in waco, usually about $20 more but the service is good and they haven't handed me anything other than what I have asked for. They can also offer similar guns that I may actually be interested in instead of something completly different. I plan on checking out guns r us soon and see how they are.

AndrewGS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Spring
    I've been dealing with Shooter Station this week while helping my cousin choose her first firearm. They have been very nice and helpful the whole time. She took a class there yesterday and had a great experience. We both plan on buying new handguns there because I feel their prices are pretty good and they've been great to deal with.

I have used the range a few times over the last few years and my only complaint is the ventilation. I've never seen any safety issues, but I guess I've been lucky.

BrazosCoTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Brazos County, TX
    Have been going there once a month for the last 8-9 months on Saturdays to shoot in their Glock matches. Some observations:

1. The Glock matches are run very safely. I try to arrive with my magazines already loaded, but sometimes I have to load while sitting on the bench in the back of the shop, not inside the range area. A loading area, with no weapons present, would be nice. Haven't been swept yet, though.
    2. The folks at the shop have been pleasant enough to me -- never rude, any of them.
    3. Nice selection, but prices are higher than what I would pay at Champions in College Station; but, supply meets demand. They wouldn't sell guns for the prices they do if folks weren't buying them.
    4. I think they have a gunsmith on site-- Champions doesn't. And speaking of customer service, Champions can be hit or miss, too.

I'll keep returning to Shooters Station for the Glock matches. No reason not to.

96fordsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    conroe
    It's the local gunshop for me. The only one I know by name is sarge. Have seen him run some people out on safety issuses in the range. Customer service depending who you get is what you get.
    Full discloser some of them are customers of mone where I work.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I don't know, but I suspect, that some of the poor customer service at gun retailers is due to the period not long ago where guns sold themselves and people would stand and wait to get a gun or ammo if they knew it was available. Retailers didn't have to try hard to please the customers because the customers were just happy to see what they wanted and hoped the person ahead of them didn't get it first. I believe that customers are past that, for the most part, but retailers aren't.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I think the sandy haired clerk at Shooters Station is a school crosswalk guard or something. He's definitely a professional - if you don't believe
    it just wait ten or so seconds - he'll tell you so.

I like the inventory at Shooters Station, the range is always clean. The older guy with glasses is always in a good mood and friendly. Him and Barney are the only two staff members I've dealt with.

I prefer Champions in College Station. The range is run better. The staff are much more helpful and pretty much know their jobs.
    I haven't been in Carter's Country in a few years. The range was always ragged, sometimes you couldn't even post a target - the chicken wire was shot to crap.
    Collectors Firearms seems to have the most knowledgeable staff of any gun shop I've been in. I've never had a problem getting assistance from any clerk, and they are always quick to hand over any requested gun for inspection.

Rainman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Montgomery County, Texas
    LOL...There are two of us "old guys with glasses", and we are both always in a good mood and friendly. One of us has a ponytail (me), and one has short hair. We both carry Colt 1911s, and wish there was "nap time" mandatory in the middle of the day!!!!

We have a great staff here now, and are really concentrating on that next level in service. We do read posts here, and take them seriously into account. Thanks for the feedback, and remember...Old folks rock!...(and so do firearms with pictures of ponys on them)

Our official policy is leave the weapon on the firing line, but it is OK to load the mags on the bench. People are people, and as much as you watch, harp, and stay on the ball, not everyone follows the procedure. We have video surveillance and hands on supervision on the ranges, but the ever present knot head will make your day sometimes. If you see it before us, tell us and we will respnd to your concerns faster than Oprah on a baked ham.

Again, thanks for the feedback guys!

Rainman

BrazosCoTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Brazos County, TX
    An example of Shooters Station customer service -- about a month ago, I was looking for a particular pistol and was having no luck finding it anywhere. When I asked about it at Shooters Station, they said they could put my name on their "wish list" and they'd give me a call if one became available. Couple of weeks later, they called-- someone had put the pistol on lay-a-way, but had failed to make payments. They called on a Sunday morning -- which other gun store is open on Sunday morning? A few hours later, I was walking out their door with my gun. Now, that gun could have sold off the shelf that same day, had they not bothered to call; however, they took the time to check the "wish list", and found that they had an interested customer. That's customer service.

BrazosCoTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Brazos County, TX
    One more thing -- business there is so good that they're expanding the parking lot, the counter space, and the range area. Does that sound like a place that drives customers away with poor service? On Saturday afternoon, the parking lot was full and the store was filled with shooters buying range time and other customers purchasing firearms and ammo. And no, I don't work there-- but I'm in there at least once a month, and drive an hour to get there. I wouldn't use the gasoline or the time if I was going to be subjected to bad service.

Top Bottom