Pros vs cons of jumping through the hoops to get a suppressor (is it worth it?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I lost a lot of mine in the Army as well. But unless you are shooting subsonic .22, you still should wear some kind of ear protection. Only subsonic .22's are quiet enough for me to not use anything. High powered stuff will always have a blast.
    Maybe for casual shooting I would but definitely not while I am hunting. Its in the wide open and it cuts down the noise enough where I am alright without hearing protection. If it didn't I wouldnt waste my time/money on one.
    Lynx Defense

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I lost a lot of mine in the Army as well. But unless you are shooting subsonic .22, you still should wear some kind of ear protection. Only subsonic .22's are quiet enough for me to not use anything. High powered stuff will always have a blast.

I shoot everything outdoors with no hearing protection when shooting suppressed. To my ears it takes pretty much any high powered rifle down about 22/22mag unsuppressed level.

If I’m indoors I still use it.

EDIT TO ADD: Every one I have was worth every $$ and time and I have quite a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    I think its worth it. I leave mine a designated HD AR. As far as the wait, it will go by faster then you think. After the first month, it will go out of your head. Next thing you know, your getting a call from your FFL. Once you've tried it, you'll start planning on buying a 2nd, or 3rd or 4th.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I shoot everything outdoors with no hearing protection when shooting suppressed. To my ears it takes pretty much any high powered rifle down about 22/22mag unsuppressed level.

If I’m indoors I still use it.

EDIT TO ADD: Every one I have was worth every $$ and time and I have quite a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Still enough to hurt your hearing. The ringing in my ears is already pretty bad and I don't want it any worse. Lots and lots of M60 machine gun shooting 7.62x51 NATO for 4 years. Back then ear plugs were almost never used or around or encouraged. Later when it is gone or problematic (hearing) you will wish you had protected yourself, even with a silencer. Even with subsonic full bore rounds it will still be loud enough to hurt your hearing. Supersonic rounds even worse. Subsonic .22 is the only acceptable no hearing protection needed with a can (bolt action, semi's are louder).

But with most of my time now at public ranges, they aren't much use other than to dull the noise of a high powered rifle in an enclosed range. Still need ear protection just to be there. They are a high priced novelty at the moment and I like mine but will get no more unless they are deregulated and prices come down. Probably not happening in my useful lifetime I have left. But everyone should own at least one and get it configured to use on a variety of your guns if you can.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    713C29B3-3CFA-4E95-982C-6705F5779FF8.jpeg
    DE927EAC-5957-46E9-8F3D-F38DAB14D08C.jpeg
    Something satisfying about hearing your round hit the target.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    As you get older your hearing goes no matter what you do so do everything you can to protect it when you are young. Get a suppressor and still get hearing protection. Like ammo, you can’t have too much.

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Interesting thread (to me) as what the OP said in the first post is pretty much exactly what I have been telling my buddies as well. I will for sure be filling out a Form 4 almost as soon as I get to TX.

Coming from NJ, where there are zero NFA items allowed makes it all the more appealing to apply. I've already started setting my rifles up to accept the SureFire can and will most likely get a 30cal and swap it between my current firearms for now until I can spring for a second in 22.

I will be hunting with it and really only taking to the range to sight in/zero. Otherwise, as stated, if it's a public range and no one else is using one what's the point? May as well just run the rifle as is.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Do you want to protect your hearing? Do you want to scare off other game when hunting? Do you want a tactical advantage, if it comes to that? Do you want to keep your neighbors out of your business at 03:00 when you finally nail that armadillo that's tearing up the back lot?

Multiple other positives

See post #31

Last edited:

jonevill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Texas City
    As someone who wears hearing aids and still has trouble understanding other people, I can attest to doing everything you can to protect your hearing. Once it's gone there is no getting it back. It really sucks to not be able to watch youtube videos because you can't understand what is being said. BTW, I lost my hearing from working on too many flight lines in the Air Force.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Lots of good posts in here. Suppressors should be mandatory. :laughing:

It just makes shooting so much more pleasurable without all the noise. Most people’s regret, is waiting to long to get their first one. Do it!

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Also generally the real effects don't show up immediately either. You will find out way down the road. Not against silencers just don't think they can be used alone for hearing protection. On most guns they just muffle the blast down some but still at hearing damaging levels without other ear protection.

I just went in for hearing aids as they said they had something special for tinnitus. Nope all they do is play white noise in the hearing aid which is more bothersome than the constant ringing. Noise has to be pretty loud for me to hear over the ringing. Sometimes maddening in a quiet room by myself. Wear ear protection like a real man!

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Lots of good posts in here. Suppressors should be mandatory. :laughing:

It just makes shooting so much more pleasurable without all the noise. Most people’s regret, is waiting to long to get their first one. Do it!

They don't get rid of the noise, so "without all the noise" is a poor term to use. They just muffle some of it. Even with a silencer high caliber weapons "not .22" still make enough noise to hurt you. Buy one and put your plugs in your ears.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    They don't get rid of the noise, so "without all the noise" is a poor term to use. They just muffle some of it. Even with a silencer high caliber weapons "not .22" still make enough noise to hurt you. Buy one and put your plugs in your ears.
    I’ve had suppressors for years sir, I’m very aware of what they do, and don’t do.

If I had said, “without noise”, that would imply silence. Instead, I said, “without all the noise”, meaning, there is still plenty of noise.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    "without all the noise" to me means "all" of it. Semantics I guess. My reading and understanding isn't what you meant it seems.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom