DK Firearms

Pros vs cons of jumping through the hoops to get a suppressor (is it worth it?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I have an L, that I’ve been very happy with, and a K that I won from Dead Air should be here within a month or so. They are great people that make great cans!

I wanted something light that I could shoot subsonic 300BO, and not completely blow my ears out in a DGU situation.

I really can’t wait to try it out, but the price of ammo is keeping me from going to the range with it LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I wanted something light that I could shoot subsonic 300BO, and not completely blow my ears out in a DGU situation.

I really can’t wait to try it out, but the price of ammo is keeping me from going to the range with it LOL

The K will work nicely for that role, and it will handle super sonic rounds, full auto.
    I have a an AAC Ti-Rant .45 that will run Blackout subs, and being titanium, it’s about an ounce lighter, but almost twice the length of the Sandman K, but, it won’t handle a super sonic rifle round, like the K.

My L is my primary hunting can. I hunt from a tripod, so the weight of the L isn’t really an issue. The K will live on my 10.3” for home defense, and be a back up hunting can when needed.

VNK971

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Mico, TX
    I have a Yankee Hill Machine with quick detach. I have a 16" rifle that I use for pigs and a 10.5" pistol. With 208 gn subs it sounds like a pellet gun.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    In this age of CNC, I really have a problem with the initial price. I guess since a tax stamp is $200, then of course it would seem silly to sell them anywhere near what it costs to make.

Not that you don't have a point re: supply/demand, but one thing which I think is easy to overlook is material and machining costs...

For example:

1. Aluminum and Steel are aren't too expensive and are easy to machine; Titanium can be a little pricey, but not that much more difficult to work with assuming you don't accidentally harden the workpiece (assuming proper tooling/rake geometry, etc...). This covers the majority of the can...however;

2. In addition to your primary baffle-stack (K, M, mono, whatever), you've also got your blast chamber at the front, which is often a different material so as to better handle the initial heat/pressure. This may be something like 17-4 (still cheap and easy to work), but for a rifle-rated can, it will often be a 'superalloy' like Stellite or Inconel. Stellite is proprietary, so no idea on cost there, but Inconel alloys are both expensive as shit and just as difficult to work.

Funny enough, for various reasons (unless I'm mistaken), a 5.56 can actually erode the blast baffle faster than something larger like a .308, etc. One of the things that made me decide to purchase a commercial 5.56 can was first looking into the cost of a short piece of Inconel718 bar, then realizing I had no access to machinery anywhere near rigid enough to work with that shit...

I'd imagine that simple consideration is what most of the extra cost is tied to in many cases, but that's just a rough guess...

also, I've posted this pic elsewhere on the forum, but it's been a while and figured it would fit here ;)

220511d06db50f07afebba6436e5a755.jpg

Last edited:

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Already a thread here about it. Nothing new here just says to continue following current federal law. What did you expect them to say.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I run a silencerco Omega 30 cal can. It came with a qd muzzle device. I believe it is rested up to 300 win mag. I use it on my 300 blk sbr, both subs and supers, and my 308 ar10 (supersonic rounds for 308). It comes with a brake cap and a flush fitting cap. Plus the tools to tighten for direct thread and swapping out end caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    ....Is it worth the cost, effort, tax, fingerprinting, etc. to get a suppressor?
    ....Was it worth it to you personally? What value does it bring to you? Pro's vs. Con's?
    I waited 380 days to get the suppressor after purchase, fingerprinting and payment of tax stamp. It is only used a few times a year on average. I'd like to purchase additional suppressors but haven't due to the long wait.

dillion.lapoma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Wharton
    I waited 380 days to get the suppressor after purchase, fingerprinting and payment of tax stamp. It is only used a few times a year on average. I'd like to purchase additional suppressors but haven't due to the long wait.

Ever thought of doing a form 1? Wait times are around a month usually less right now and much cheaper. Ever form 4 times are down to around 5-6 months

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Ever thought of doing a form 1? Wait times are around a month usually less right now and much cheaper. Ever form 4 times are down to around 5-6 months

It was several years ago that I obtained my suppressor. The process should no different or longer than for a firearm purchase.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Not that you don't have a point re: supply/demand, but one thing which I think is easy to overlook is material and machining costs...

For example:

1. Aluminum and Steel are aren't too expensive and are easy to machine; Titanium can be a little pricey, but not that much more difficult to work with assuming you don't accidentally harden the workpiece (assuming proper tooling/rake geometry, etc...). This covers the majority of the can...however;

2. In addition to your primary baffle-stack (K, M, mono, whatever), you've also got your blast chamber at the front, which is often a different material so as to better handle the initial heat/pressure. This may be something like 17-4 (still cheap and easy to work), but for a rifle-rated can, it will often be a 'superalloy' like Stellite or Inconel. Stellite is proprietary, so no idea on cost there, but Inconel alloys are both expensive as shit and just as difficult to work.

Funny enough, for various reasons (unless I'm mistaken), a 5.56 can actually erode the blast baffle faster than something larger like a .308, etc. One of the things that made me decide to purchase a commercial 5.56 can was first looking into the cost of a short piece of Inconel718 bar, then realizing I had no access to machinery anywhere near rigid enough to work with that shit...

I'd imagine that simple consideration is what most of the extra cost is tied to in many cases, but that's just a rough guess...

also, I've posted this pic elsewhere on the forum, but it's been a while and figured it would fit here ;)

220511d06db50f07afebba6436e5a755.jpg

I think my issue with your position is in Europe you can get them a lot cheaper. I'm not just talking tax stamp cheaper, you check around and it's hundreds cheaper.

I understand the barrier to entry for building suppressors is much more expensive here due to government regulations. Once you remove those entries the main cost is the machining tools and you've recovered that cost pretty quickly.

mylar17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Pflugerville
    Even with the looming law changes for Texas, I will still probably buy commercial cans if for nothing else than the warranty. If I make my own and erode the baffles running on a 10.5" AR, I just need to send it off to be recored, usually with shipping covered by the manufacturer. If I made my own I'm on the hook to replace

Top Bottom