• ...and so much more!
  • SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I haven't been able to drive my 2016 Tundra for about 6 weeks and don't know when I ever can again, "spinal stenosis" . Without going into details (you're welcome), 6 weeks ago I tried braking while backing slowly and suddenly couldn't feel the pedal so slammed it into Park. What the hell was that so tried again, and again slamming into Park, no gears stripped. Not living far away, I managed to drive slowly and it's been parked ever since. My display on dash says I have about 55 miles of remaining gas. I ordered that Stabil product and not sure what to do. It treats a bunch of gas and I only have probably 3-4 gallons in tank and no way to drive to gas station to top it off. That would be foolish anyway if never driven again for long time if ever. I just want to defend against the inevitable issues the ethanol will eventually bring to tank, fuel pump, etc. My Tundra only has 30,000 miles, brand new battery, tires, front and rear brakes and new 10k oil change and still looks almost show room new (silver). I don't want to create a problem when can prevent it.

Thanks

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Find a gas station that has alcohol-free gas (most QT and newer Murphy stations have it now), fill it up with that and add the StaBil. I had a 6 year-old Honda Rancher w/less than 30 hours on it, and I ran that fuel religiously w/o ever a problem. That's all I run in my small engines, and I have ZERO carb problems. It's that damn alcohol blend that causes the problem.
    If push comes to shove, drop me a line - if we don't have one of our long-standing trustworthy members close to you, I have a man I TRUST up there that would do it for you if asked.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Thanks. Not trying to be argumentative here, just asking to learn and maybe others reading as well. What about folks who never top off/fill their gas tanks, only have short trips to work and back or maybe can't afford to keep it full to prevent condensation? Does their regular putting in fresh gas somehow prevent that? Is my possibly having to park my Tundra indefinitely different?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Thanks. Not trying to be argumentative here, just asking to learn and maybe others reading as well. What about folks who never top off/fill their gas tanks, only have short trips to work and back or maybe can't afford to keep it full to prevent condensation? Does their regular putting in fresh gas somehow prevent that? Is my possibly having to park my Tundra indefinitely different?
    THE LESS AIRSPACE IN THE TANKTHELESS AREA THERE IS FOR CONDENSATION TO FORM IN THE TANKETHANOL ALD ATTRACTS WATER Wter in fuel is bad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Find a gas station that has alcohol-free gas (most QT and newer Murphy stations have it now), fill it up with that and add the StaBil. I had a 6 year-old Honda Rancher w/less than 30 hours on it, and I ran that fuel religiously w/o ever a problem. That's all I run in my small engines, and I have ZERO carb problems. It's that damn alcohol blend that causes the problem.
    If push comes to shove, drop me a line - if we don't have one of our long-standing trustworthy members close to you, I have a man I TRUST up there that would do it for you if asked.

This is the best thing that will work long term.

But filling the tank full helps because you eliminate the air in the tank.

Air is moisture, moisture is drawn to the ethanol

Nothing can "treat" the ethanol alcohol in the blended gasoline. Its there.

The ethonal free gasoline , topped off in a full tank will be the best long term storage.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I would be more worried about the "no gears" and slamming it into park versus the ethenol.
    I did a non test and filled two jars with ethenol gas then added the measured amount + of stabil to one jar. 4 months later there was Zero water seperation. So how long does it really take? I poured both jars into my mower.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    This. 100x this.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    for some reason small engines especially two-strokes seem more affected by the ethanol blebs of gasoline.
    I think 2 reasons

the fuel tanks are vented more and allow more pressure equalization, therefore more air/moisture
    And they still have carburetors..needle valves and really small orifices that get gummed up easily

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I think 2 reasons

the fuel tanks are vented more and allow more pressure equalization, therefore more air/moisture
    And they still have carburetors..needle valves and really small orifices that get gummed up easily

While these are true time plays into it as well more so than with other engines.

Most two stroke engines sit for longer periods of time unused than vehicles. Weed wackers, chain saws, etc. get used for a bit then put away for a while until needed again.

They let that ethanol sit in the small ports and solidify (or whatever it does to plug them up).

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Regular Stabil doesn't help fight Ethanol. Newer bottles say this. They do make a formula that does though. It's not red but I can't recall what color it is. Blue or dark gray I think.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    They let that ethanol sit in the small ports and solidify (or whatever it does to plug them up).
    The process that happens is called phase separation
    The ethonal is splash blended into the gasoline as it it loaded into the delivery truck on the way to the store.

It is a fairly stable mix, but alcohol will draw moisture in. So over time..either short or long periods..when enough moisture is drawn in, the alcohol gets too heavy and starts to pull away from the gas in various degrees as it becomes unstable.

If you take a quart mason jar with ethonal blended gas and add a half cup of water and shake it and let it set for an hour and you will see exactly what happens

The lightest parts are a gummy film and more viscous than gas and this is what gets into the small passages intended for gas and causes problems

The only good thing about running ethonal blend is that it you keep it cycled through a tank regularly , your tank wont have any water build up.

The alcohol mops it up in tiny amounts and keeps it going thru the.system

In these small amounts, there usually isnt a problem and you are even unaware this is happening

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Yep. All modern vehicles have a semi-closed gas tank and suck the vapors into your intake to reduce pollution. If you take an empty, closed can and put a small hole in it and leave it outside for a while, water will collect in it. As it gets cooler, it will suck in air and water vapor. When it gets hotter, it will push out the air, but not all the water vapor. Eventually, the water vapor will condense - I suspect the same of small engine tanks.

DenverGp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2022
    Anna Tx
    Interesting observation on ethenol:

My son had a modded pontiac grand prix GTP that was converted over to run on E-85. It got an upgraded fuel pump, injectors, had to adjust the PCM for the proper Air fuel ratio, etc. Ran great, was running 11 sec quarter miles up at Bandimere in colorado (5800ft elevation).

Son moved away for a while, so it stayed parked in my driveway in colorado for about 2 years, with a 3/4 full tank of E-85. Never got started, Just sat for 2 years. I was trying to figure out what to do about draining the fuel tank, disposing of the old gas, etc.

Battery was obviously completely dead over 2 colorado winters. Took the battery out, put it on a battery charger for a week, and after a few attempts, finally seemed to take a charge. Left it on the charger for another week, then slapped it back in the car.

Pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked the car for 5 minutes or so (hoping to get a little oil moving around). Then put the fuel pump fuse back in, and cranked it. Took about 30 sec, it started up then died. Restarted, and it seemed to run just fine. Drove it around the block, seemed normal. Put it onto a car haul trailer, and brought it down here to Tx. Drove the tank of 2 year old E85 almost empty, then refilled with fresh E85, couldn't tell a difference.

I'm a lot less worried about fuel "going bad" these days.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Interesting observation on ethenol:

My son had a modded pontiac grand prix GTP that was converted over to run on E-85.....
    Son moved away for a while, so it stayed parked in my driveway in colorado for about 2 years, with a 3/4 full tank of E-85. Never got started, Just sat for 2 years.... Drove the tank of 2 year old E85 almost empty, then refilled with fresh E85, couldn't tell a difference

I'm a lot less worried about fuel "going bad" these days.
    The 10% ethenol doesn't do well when left in small engines from my experience. If I let my generators set more than a few weeks they are difficult to start. This may be due to the higher humidity than in Colorado. Hasn't been a problem this year as I've needed to use the generators during several outages.

Top Bottom