• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    From time to time we hear stories about a person that is murdered at a range and his weapons then stolen. Although I have never experienced this (obviously) I have been to some ranges where I tarted having some bad feelings something wasn't right. These would be the ranges where there is no RO on sight and it is self policing. Although it wouldn't seem so, you are vulnerable. You have ear muffs on and are focused on single line of sight. Most times you are by yourself with a wide array of equipment spread out all over a table and sometimes the ground.

What do you do to protect yourself in this situation?
    Venture Surplus ad

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    First time I have ever heard that one. I have heard of people suiciding, but not bein' murdered.

In 1986, Platt and Matix (FBI Miami Shootout perps) robbed and shot Jose Collazo while Collazo was target shooting alone at a rock pit.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I typically work out of the back od my blazer and socialize.

I work out of the trunk as well.

I rarely have out any other gun then what I am shooting at the moment.
    The range I go too also has one way in and everyone entering must drive up the entire line to the office. It would be hard to drive in and not have no one notice you on the dirt road.
    I always make it point to turn around and wave or at the very least see what or who is pulling in.
    It also helps that when I do go, I go during the weekday and there is rarely more then 3 or more people/parties on the entire property and the owner keeps everyone on different ranges if possible, and usually is during non-peak hours.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    If possible I would take or meet a group of friends. I never go shooting alone especially in a place where I'm not to sure of the folks around me. But at the same time I hear more about Suicide type stuff over anyone being murdered for there weapons but I guess anything is possible.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    In 1986, Platt and Matix (FBI Miami Shootout perps) robbed and shot Jose Collazo while Collazo was target shooting alone at a rock pit.

Chris Kyle was killed at a range and his tuck stolen.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    So one guy who was a top notch combat vet killed while shooting with someone he knew and another guy shot in a rock quarry. I think the likelyhood of being shot at the range is about the same as anywhere else.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So one guy who was a top notch combat vet killed while shooting with someone he knew and another guy shot in a rock quarry. I think the likelyhood of being shot at the range is about the same as anywhere else.

You really expected me to list every range murder in order to make some type of statistical point? The purpose of using Platt/Matix was to point out that killing people for guns at a range is an old idea, dating back 25+ years easy.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    You really expected me to list every range murder in order to make some type of statistical point? The purpose of using Platt/Matix was to point out that killing people for guns at a range is an old idea, dating back 25+ years easy.

Crime in general has been going on as far back as recorded history is able to show. I'm just saying that being at the range doesn't mean you should be more worried than normal. Maybe if you're out by yourself at the range, or only with a few people, be a little extra cautious-but that goes with anytime you're alone. When at the range, I tend to be extra vigilant anyways because I'm more worried about new shooters sending off a stray shot.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Crime in general has been going on as far back as recorded history is able to show. I'm just saying that being at the range doesn't mean you should be more worried than normal. Maybe if you're out by yourself at the range, or only with a few people, be a little extra cautious-but that goes with anytime you're alone. When at the range, I tend to be extra vigilant anyways because I'm more worried about new shooters sending off a stray shot.

The poster stated, "First time I have ever heard that one. I have heard of people suiciding, but not bein' murdered."
    So I provided him an instance with someone being murder to show it has happened, since he had never heard of it before. It was not intended to suggest odds of it being you, whether you should be more worried or extra vigilant. Just to give him a factual data point about something he was unaware of.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

Precisely. Pretty shitty comments to make about good people being murdered especially at a hobby we all enjoy.

Anyone have ideas on how to protect yourself during this activity as opposed to snarky comments?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    From time to time we hear stories about a person that is murdered at a range and his weapons then stolen. Although I have never experienced this (obviously) I have been to some ranges where I tarted having some bad feelings something wasn't right. These would be the ranges where there is no RO on sight and it is self policing. Although it wouldn't seem so, you are vulnerable. You have ear muffs on and are focused on single line of sight. Most times you are by yourself with a wide array of equipment spread out all over a table and sometimes the ground.

What do you do to protect yourself in this situation?

I have never heard such a story, save for Kyle.

If one were worried about it take a buddy to provide overwatch.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I think statistically you're pretty safe.

Criminals are typically opportunists and the first rule of not being prey is to not look like food.

Trying to ambush someone at a gun range where they are sure to be armed is not a recipe for success when it comes to theft. Not saying it doesn't happen, it's just a very unappealing target. It takes a level of balls and/or stupidity that most criminals just don't possess.

As always, situational awareness is your friend. Other than that, I don't worry about it anymore than being shot anywhere else. I'm always watching everyone everywhere I go anyway. I don't let my guard down at the range.

Top Bottom