• ...and so much more!
  • MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I have read a few discussions about this issue. If Law Enforcement has your gun, it seem they require you to prove it is yours before you get it back.
    If you buy a gun from an individual and simply do a cash transaction, you wouldnt have a reciept.
    If a family member gives you a gun, you probably couldnt prove that either.
    If you inherit some guns, still no proof.

So how do you prove the gun is your unless you have a sales reciept?
    Can you take a picture of your guns and keep em just in case?
    Would a personal serial number record be good enough?

What would be a good method to prove it's your gun?

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Couple things that I do. Photo of the gun taken day or day after it comes into my hands. Serial number recorded (though I also have a couple older guns without serial numbers). Sharpie with my mark inside the stock/frame where it is not visible unless taken apart. The sharpie marks can be removed using an alcohol pad so if I decide to sell I can remove the mark.

Poink88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Austin
    Photos of the gun esp with serial number or distinguishing marks is what I heard.

I give my guns a photo shoot and email a copy (5 or so pictures) to myself ;)...say GMail or Yahoo as a backup.

longtooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    Above is my practice too. Mother, Son, SIL get copies. All guns owned by all 4 of us are on the same sheet separated by owner & we all have a copy.

daddy45acp

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    central texas
    Take it to a gunsmith and have it cleaned professionally. Make sure the receipt for the cleaning has your name, a date and the serial number. Not only will you have a document with your name and the gun's serial but so will the gunsmith.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Take it to a gunsmith and have it cleaned professionally. Make sure the receipt for the cleaning has your name, a date and the serial number. Not only will you have a document with your name and the gun's serial but so will the gunsmith.

Good idea, but an expensive one for those of us with larger collections, or those that buy/sell as they seek a gun they like best. I have a spreadsheet of handguns, another of long guns. Each is recorded by make/model/SN. Where no SN exists, I use other identifying marks to ID it. I like the idea of marking a hidden area w/a sharpie, but haven't found a need to so far. I also take pictures of each gun in general, and a close-up of the SN. Copies of everything are kept on the computer (which is backed-up to an offsite server), and additional copies in each safe (lists are on both CD and paper, photo's just on CD). If that ain't 'nuff proof for 'em, ah'll let the insurance company handle it.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    All of these are fine ideas but if you come to claim a weapon and have a serial # that matches the one the police have that is usually enough. No different than claiming a recovered TV or laptop or anything else. If more than one person claims to be the owner a hearing is set and a judge will decide.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Oh, I agree on the "overkill" opinion....in my case, however, it's also a matter of being able to prove ownership of a fairly large (and expensive) gun collection to an insurance adjuster in case of a loss.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Speakin' of which.....a heads up to those w/homeowners insurance. Most companies (ie, USAA - which we USED to have) have a specific (very low) limit on the value of guns covered by the basic HO policy. Germania covers 'em up to the limits of the policy. To give you an idea - our house is insured for $250k, which gives us a $200k contents coverage. If someone kicked in the door and managed to wrestle out all the safes, I would be fully covered (after deductible) for the guns up to $200k, less the amount need to fix the door damage. If the house burns to the ground, the CONTENTS (including guns) would be covered for up to $200k. Period. Some of my collectibles could be a challenge - but if they can be replaced on the open market, then I'd receive that value.
    They are one of the few that cover this way. I've spoken about this exact issue w/a Senior VP at Germania, who confirms it. I was pleasantly surprised....and was able to drop the other insurance I was carrying just for the guns.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A friend of mine just keeps a logbook in his safe. Serial numbers, descriptions, and which son gets what if something bad happens to him.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    Grettings all from your friendly neighborhood property recovery officer!

All of the above are solid ways to prove your ownership. I would add a few refinements to add to your credibility of ownership.

1. When photographing, get a shot of the serial number (if possible) of the firearm. Include distinguishing marks, scratches (heaven forbid), wear patterns, etc. Look at how well folks on Gun Broker and other online auction document the condition of the firearm. You do the same and you enhance your credibility.

2. If buying from an individual have a brief form, documenting the firearm, and date of the sale. Have them sign it. If they are unwilling to do this, think twice about doing this. You need not have all their identifying information, just their signature.

3. Keep a copy of your serial numbers in a separate location. I keep a copy of mine in my desk at the police department.

4. If there is not a serial number - pre 1968 firearms may not have a serial number and be totally legal. Inscribe your state DL or ID(drivers license or state identification card) number. Do NOT use your social security number. I can track your DL or ID far far better than I can your SSN. Your SSN is federal and I do not have access to that information. The FBI and other federal agencies do have access but they are less than helpful ( having their hands full of other cases) to help me.

5. Receipts are the gold standard. Always keep your receipts. In a messy property hearing, (I've had a couple) the unbiased receipt was the clear winner.

I hope this is helpful. If there are any questions or anyone needs further information, you can always contact me off line via PM or e-mail.

ly134

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    East Texas
    Back in the 60's and 70's Police Departments encouraged owners to scribe their Texas driver's license on everything. DL number was to be visible to help to identify and to discourage thiefs. Police even furnished electric engravers for this purpose. I engraved everything from TV sets to my guns. Really messed up some weapons, with a discreet TX license number on the barell.

Top Bottom