• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldCurlyWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    Tulia
    Seems like every gun I bought FTF from someone I didnt know turned out to have something wrong with it. If I ever by a gun from someone I dont know again, were going to go shoot it first.

That sounds like a winner. No FTF except at the local gun range. Shoot the firearm to test it and almost no chance of getting jacked by some scum sucking bottom dweller. Still is a chance of a hot gun unless the range has a way to run the serial no. through a stolen weapon data base.
    Target Sports

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i make a ase of blood and powdered hair and paint the inside of the magwell thatway, i can jsut have them swab that, and i can give them a swab from my mouth, bam DNA match.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    ^ I thought that was a great idea. Instead of blood, I needed to buff my heals out anyway and used those shavings. Made my base with epoxy paint, but now my clip won't fit. Any recommendations?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    but now my clip won't fit. Any recommendations?

ban.jpg

singleshotman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    richardson,tx
    I do not know if it's the same in Texas, but when i had my collection stolen in CA, i discovered the local police could care less about antique single shot rifles, but they sure did about pistols.I lost $25,000 worth of stuff in 1978, but i did get my stolen pistols back five years later.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ^ I thought that was a great idea. Instead of blood, I needed to buff my heals out anyway and used those shavings. Made my base with epoxy paint, but now my clip won't fit. Any recommendations?

sand magazines to fit.

also see sigline\

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Good idea, but an expensive one for those of us with larger collections, or those that buy/sell as they seek a gun they like best. I have a spreadsheet of handguns, another of long guns. Each is recorded by make/model/SN. Where no SN exists, I use other identifying marks to ID it. I like the idea of marking a hidden area w/a sharpie, but haven't found a need to so far. I also take pictures of each gun in general, and a close-up of the SN. Copies of everything are kept on the computer (which is backed-up to an offsite server), and additional copies in each safe (lists are on both CD and paper, photo's just on CD). If that ain't 'nuff proof for 'em, ah'll let the insurance company handle it.

This is exactly what I do, minus the pics on CD. I have an Excel spreadsheet with every gun listed on it. All details including scopes (including model # or mag specs), etc are listed on it. I have details on where it was obtained (Walmart, Sports Authority, gunshow, etc), whether I have a receipt for it (keep the receipts locked up in a separate place), and separate them by shotgun, pistol, rifle. I also have detail on how many magazines I have for each gun. Don't want to forget that, those can get expensive (I paid $90 for a FNAR mag).

When I add to the collection, I update the worksheet and email it to myself and my wife. So I have a record of how the list changes over time. I have no doubt this would work for insurance purposes.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It always seems like you have enough information, until there is a problem. If there is a problem, then the extra information you have will likely be your ally and not your enemy. There are multiple ways to approach this problem, each has it's virtues. Since there isn't any legal responsibility, the amount of information that you keep will depend on your comfort level.
    I do not have anything to hide about any transaction, therefore I prefer to keep more information than less.
    Your mileage may vary...

Did someone say offshore bunker? Where can I get me one of those...

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Since there isn't any legal responsibility, the amount of information that you keep will depend on your comfort level.
    I do not have anything to hide about any transaction, therefore I prefer to keep more information than less.

And I have no problem with that - until you start wanting to keep MY personal information. Then it ain't gonna happen - period. Sorry!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I had a similar event when I first moved to DFW in the late 90's, but they got my tools. Fortunately, I had a box with every manual for every power tool I owned at the time. I pulled them out and showed them to the adjuster. We went through and made a list together, and he gave me $2K to start with. I used his worksheet and wrote in the prices I paid, and he gave me a few bucks more after all was replaced.

My experience has been that if you can prove you owned them, they will be covered, assuming your policy coverage is high enough. That's another matter. You should make sure your policy limits on replacable property is high enough to cover your stuff. And if you are renting, you HAVE to get a renter's policy that covers theft. That insurance is just too cheap to NOT do it.

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX
    if you are renting, you HAVE to get a renter's policy that covers theft. That insurance is just too cheap to NOT do it.

100% agree..We pay about 100 a year, covers firearms without any issues like some Insurance policies.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom