• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’ve really been wanting to give a PRS match a try, but my work schedule is crap, I work every weekend. I’m on vacation next week with no plans, and I noticed there is a match scheduled in Navasota, April 28-30th. I was wondering if anyone on here competes. I’ve never taken part in any competitive shooting, so I’m a little nervous about blindly signing up online, and showing up not having a clue what’s going on. Not worried about the shooting, although I can just about guarantee the equipment I’d be using is not ideal, it’s just the fish out of water feeling that I hate. Thinking about going and observing if they allow that. Any advice from any competitive shooters about their intro into the sport would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Don't worry about your current rifle too much, show up and shoot! I was so nervous my first match, no doubt, but the people I met helped me so much more than I could have ever imagined.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I'm shooting in my first match Saturday, and have the exact fish out of water fears you do. I just hope I'm not first and get to see someone else go first. I have no intentions of winning, so the pressure is off. I'm looking at it more as a recon mission for the future and to have some fun. I think we'll both be fine when it's all said and done. Good luck!

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Tell Prentice the match Navasota director at check in that it’s your first match and he will make sure you are squared with some experienced shooters that are good at helping. Most are great at helping be it let you try bags out or giving you stage pointers.

Other than that the number one thing to remember is do not rush. That’s a easy statement to say but once the timer buzzes it’s a hard concept to follow through with.

Unless it’s a single yard target like a tyl or something back off of your magnification.

After each stage is shot and you set your stuff down zero your scope turrets. I also take this time to reload my mag so all I need is dope when I get to the next stage.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Tell Prentice the match Navasota director at check in that it’s your first match and he will make sure you are squared with some experienced shooters that are good at helping. Most are great at helping be it let you try bags out or giving you stage pointers.

Other than that the number one thing to remember is do not rush. That’s a easy statement to say but once the timer buzzes it’s a hard concept to follow through with.

Unless it’s a single yard target like a tyl or something back off of your magnification.

After each stage is shot and you set your stuff down zero your scope turrets. I also take this time to reload my mag so all I need is dope when I get to the next stage.

Think I’m gonna go ahead and register. I actually emailed Ashley with a couple questions and explained that I was interested in registering but wanted to make sure I did so correctly. Prentice told me to go ahead and register for the open class, but they could change it after I showed up if need be, depending on my optic. Not sure if it’s the cost of the optic or what. Think I’m gonna take my stock Savage Prevision in 6.5 creedmoor. I have much more time behind the rifle, with some pretty good loads worked up. It’s a smaller, lighter rifle too, which isn’t great for recoil, but I’ll be much more comfortable getting into different positions with it. Guess I better get some boolits loaded. And luckily they will have their range open Friday. I have good dope out to 600, but I’ve never been able to shoot any father, although the ballistic apps I’ve used were pretty close when getting me out to 600. I know I’ll need my rifle and ammo, and a shooting bag, but will I need to take my mat? Not sure if there are prone stages that give you time to throw down one or not.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Think I’m gonna go ahead and register. I actually emailed Ashley with a couple questions and explained that I was interested in registering but wanted to make sure I did so correctly. Prentice told me to go ahead and register for the open class, but they could change it after I showed up if need be, depending on my optic. Not sure if it’s the cost of the optic or what. Think I’m gonna take my stock Savage Prevision in 6.5 creedmoor. I have much more time behind the rifle, with some pretty good loads worked up. It’s a smaller, lighter rifle too, which isn’t great for recoil, but I’ll be much more comfortable getting into different positions with it. Guess I better get some boolits loaded. And luckily they will have their range open Friday. I have good dope out to 600, but I’ve never been able to shoot any father, although the ballistic apps I’ve used were pretty close when getting me out to 600. I know I’ll need my rifle and ammo, and a shooting bag, but will I need to take my mat? Not sure if there are prone stages that give you time to throw down one or not.

I just realized this is the national level match which means you aren’t allowed help on the clock. This will make it a bit harder for a first time shooter. Best advice is to still take your time and leave each stage behind you mentally no matter how good or bad. On big matches take notes in your match book of each stage as a refresher.

Price of the optic will determine if it qualifies for production class. At one point in time the prs had a published list but I’m not sure how up to date it really is at the present time.

On a 6.5 at the 600-700yd area is where you tweak velocity and past that bc but this is if you run ab or similar powered software. The Hornady stuff is different in how you true it.

Unless it’s wet I don’t ever worry about a mat plus several of the spots at navasota that they like shooters to run prone are covered or on a concrete pad. There probably won’t be but one or two true prone stages. There will be some modified prone which is like shooting off a bench or car hood/trunk except typically your standing versus sitting.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...it’s just the fish out of water feeling that I hate.
    We've shot together and I came away with a great appreciation for your willingness to put yourself in a position where you felt less competent than you'd like. You soaked up the experience and came away much more skilled and confident.

IOW, you're a good student when you're in a new situation.

Because I've seen the way you approach new tasks and even though I know nothing about this sport, I'm 100% confident that you'll do well and enjoy yourself.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    We've shot together and I came away with a great appreciation for your willingness to put yourself in a position where you felt less competent than you'd like. You soaked up the experience and came away much more skilled and confident.

IOW, you're a good student when you're in a new situation.

Because I've seen the way you approach new tasks and even though I know nothing about this sport, I'm 100% confident that you'll do well and enjoy yourself.

Thank you. I tell that story to every new shooter I come across. I had just bought my first handgun. Went to the range and quickly lost confidence! At 10 yards I couldn’t put 2 shots within 6”. I had just become a poster on this forum, and got on here to moan and whine about how I couldn’t shoot! Within 5 minutes you offered to meet me at the range and help me out. You didn’t know me from Adam, but never hesitated to offer your help. Pretty quickly realized the problem, then you let me shoot a few of your guns too. Thanks again!!

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    The more I think about it, I think I’m gonna wait until June 10th. There is a 1 day club match that’s probably better suited for a new shooter. The one next weekend is the “Leupold Best in Texas” which is a 2 day trophy match that cost $300 to enter, whereas the club matches are only $60, and I’m sure are much less formal.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    The more I think about it, I think I’m gonna wait until June 10th. There is a 1 day club match that’s probably better suited for a new shooter. The one next weekend is the “Leupold Best in Texas” which is a 2 day trophy match that cost $300 to enter, whereas the club matches are only $60, and I’m sure are much less formal.

That would most definitely be the better choice imo. You can get or give shooter corrective feedback while on the clock at club matches where as national matches it is against the rules.

I would still advise letting prentice know you’re new when you show up because a good squad full of helpful people can make the most of the experience.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station

Is that still in Navasota?

One of these weekends I’m just gonna go out and watch.

I sent them a message the other day about dates and then I realized it’s the meet and greet that weekend. You should come out that weekend.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Is that still in Navasota?

One of these weekends I’m just gonna go out and watch.

I sent them a message the other day about dates and then I realized it’s the meet and greet that weekend. You should come out that weekend.

Yeah. Same place.

Top Bottom