• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    First-ever nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System to occur today, November 9[SUP]th[/SUP] at 2:00 pm eastern, 1:00 pm CENTRAL TIME

WASHINGTON - The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), along with its many federal, state and local partners, is reminding the American public that the first-ever nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System is scheduled to occur at 2:00 pm eastern today.

The national Emergency Alert System was designed as an alert and warning system that can be activated by the President, if needed, to provide information to the American public during emergencies. Although the Emergency Alert System is often tested at the local level, it has never before been tested on a nationwide scale. Today's test will occur simultaneously across the U.S. and its territories and will last approximately 30 seconds, after which regular programming will resume. The test will look and sound very similar to the local tests of the Emergency Alert System that already occur frequently.

"As we get ready to conduct this first-ever nationwide test, we are asking the American people - a key part of our team - to help us get the word out," said FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate. "And while today's test will focus on what we can do to make sure our current and future technologies can help send messages to the public in times of national emergency, this test is only one part of the preparedness equation. Recent weather events, from the tornado and earthquake that struck Oklahoma to the severe storm heading for Alaska, remind us that disasters can happen anytime, anywhere, and it's critical that the public knows what to do in the event of an emergency. Visit Ready.gov to learn how you can prepare for disasters of all kinds."

Wednesday's test of the Emergency Alert System will appear on all broadcast radio and television stations, cable television systems, satellite radio and television systems, and wireline video service systems. The test will not impact landline or mobile phones, power grids, or Internet connectivity. The test will allow FEMA, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to assess how well the Emergency Alert System would perform its primary function: alerting the public about a national emergency.

To get ready for this test, FEMA and the FCC have been spearheading a public education and outreach campaign, and are asking all of our stakeholders to join us. For more information on those efforts, click here.
    Lynx Defense

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    tin-foil-hat.jpg

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Interesting. Originally, they said it would include mobile phones and internet, and last 3 minutes. Now it's 30 seconds, no phones or intrawebz (which I doubt they could affect anyway).

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I got nothing. Sirius/XM didn't get interrupted,no text, nada. Out in the boonies I reckon.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    And ... we miss the big picture: Big Brother in every facet of our daily lives.

The networks (radio & TV) did a pretty good job on 9/11.

Radio did a very good job on December 7, 1941.

It is unlikely that an emergency on the West Coast will extend far beyond the Rocky Mountains.

Cataclysmic events are regional, so if I am in IOWA why should I prepare for Armageddon in Louisiana?

Any national warning system is akin to the propaganda machine wielded by Goebbels.

How did we get this far?

Be well.

Nasa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    WCR Kat Ranch, Texas
    The test was pretty much a total failure.

On the other hand, the worst quake we have had was near New Madrid with buildings falling in Ohio and rang church bells in Philly.

Recent wild fires were fought by brave folks from many states.

Many power grids span many states. I guess we in Texas are lucky in that respect.

There are several scenarios that present themselves that might require immediate national attention.

I does no good to bury your head in the sand.

Personally I would like enough time to get to my bunker if need be to either bug in or bug out.

How about you?

Sent with my modified D2G running TapTalk.

Blackhawk 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge 10+1, quick point limbsaver and spec-ops recoil reducing stock with tri-rail, laser, light and bipod.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    National alert system is pointless... Normal news stations and facebook/twitter will get the word out faster than any system mired in bureaucracy that the government could come up with.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    lol, yeah I don't do facebook or twitter either, but I know a ton of people that do. If something news worthy gets posted someone will inevitably say to me, "hey, did you hear about..."

WitchJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I heard the National Emergency Alert System test planned for Nov. 9 didn't work on some areas. The check have had impact on countrywide television and radio stations. Wireless-aware alert programs are due to be rolled out in the next year. Well, that is why it is called a test. They will be planning to test it again until they get it right. System failure after a test suggests that the test was a success, since the reason you made the test is to find problems. There.

Top Bottom