Target Sports

PSA - Hicksville Gun Range !!! CLOSED !!! - temporarily?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    UPDATE from Post #80

9/26/14 1050AM (Yes it took me that long to tap it out, I am at work)

I just spoke with JD. The Hicksville Gun Range has reopened for business with updates on their Facebook page!
    (Though admittedly I can't confirm anything on FB)

All rules and range amenities remain unchanged from the April 2014 meet with the following exceptions:
    * 200-600yd range is closed indefinitely
    * no cars allowed to be blown up with Tannerite. Other objects may be loaded with Tannerite and shot but nothing that contains styrofoam or similar material that is hard to clean up
    * $15/person to shoot all day on PAPER
    * $20/person includes paper and steel targets
    * shooter provides their own clay pidgeons

You'll note the remarks made earlier today causing rise to these questions have been deleted and for good reason.
    I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones on October 4 !

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I just received a call from Tejano Scott (The Woodlands) and Das Jared (Pearland) who are at the range as I type.

At this point, the main reason for the thread is to inform people so you don't waste time / money getting there. The owners put up a sign at the gate this past Monday saying the range is closed and hicksvillegunrange.com is off line too.

The word is the range will re-open approximately October, beyond that I have no other details at this time. Obviously there may be changes to the planned October meet at Hicksville but it is entirely too early to offer any details in that arena.

This is a fresh event and I have provided all the concrete information provided.

The only good news is that because of the long term relationship Scott & Jared have at the range and factoring in distance driven, the owners allowed them to shoot today. Don't stand in one place too long, the sweat will create quicksand. :p

From #26:
    Family is ok. They are not being forced into anything. They are reorganizing to protect other pieces of property/assets they own. Naturally, they feel they can't risk having any accidents out there until this is all wrapped up. How long that will take, they aren't sure. What the reorganization will mean to how the range is run, that remains to be seen. They have entertained some offers to sell, but are not going that route. No one needs to speculate the worst case scenarios, not applicable here. Trust me, I sat around with them for more than an hour. Everyone is great and excited about setting this up differently. I think they view it as a win-win. They protect themselves and their assets, keep their property, get steady income from the range without the burden of managing it. The last thing they said before they ran off and left Jared and I alone, "we can't wait to participate at the next TGT event and not feel like we are stuck in the office or being rule enforcers."
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Wow!
    closed for renovation I'm hoping.
    Nothing bad hopefully.

While positive thinking, why would a range would take down their website for a renovation?

If anything, you'd think they would post details on why they were temporarily closed so customers don't think it is permanent.

Unless it is... :(

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    We did get to shoot. It was quite sad, we had the entire facility to ourselves, but at the same time had a great time.

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    A7B0A531-3241-43EA-956E-1D66873FBF9A_zps7sflmdzx.jpg

E1EB386A-2F69-40C5-AD00-071E27D048D1_zpsq4upa0er.jpg

675D2714-577C-4247-BDEB-883AF1E1FDB6_zpsaapgbyyn.jpg

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Long story short is sounds like there will be a reorganization of ownership and management. That's all I can really say at this time out of respect for JD and Judy. They are all right. There are no legal, police, ATF issues. They will still be an integral part of what happens out there and will still live on the property.

Please respect their privacy during this temp closing. Do not disregard the closed signs or the closed gate. More details as soon as they develop. Curtis has accurately relayed the sum total of everything we currently know.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    You say that is if they haven't. If you saw that place at our first meet compared to now.... I'm not sure I've ever been to a range that consistently makes more improvements than Hicksville has/did.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Sounds like they are getting bought out.

I would imagine if they just wanted to retire and pass it down it would not require closing down.

Either way just guessing and wish the best for them. I just hope it doesn't change too much.

I blame Glockster. He started the meets that destroyed the place and was the first to bring us the bad news.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You say that is if they haven't. If you saw that place at our first meet compared to now.... I'm not sure I've ever been to a range that consistently makes more improvements than Hicksville has/did.

The place is constantly improving. It is a great place to shoot.

Honestly, this hurts to hear about.

Top Bottom