• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    FYI - the "Save the Whales" bunch have influenced WalMart, Home Depot and Lowes to being doing away with their sale of incandescent light bulbs. They are, of course, already banned for sale in California so stocks are beginning to run low.

I had to rewire a 3 way lamp next to my recliner and bought the new fixture at WalMart. I looked for a new 3 way bulb and 95% of the incandescent lamps were gone and replaced with LED. FYI, a 30-70-100 3 way LED bulb in Walmart brand is only $17.00.

I went to Dollar General and bought several packs of GE 3 way incandescent bulbs for $2.75 per two pack. For some odd reason, DG always sells GE bulbs at well below market price; often they are cheaper than the DG brand.

Dollar Tree also usually has the Sunbeam brand for $1.00 a two pack, but they are crap although they do last for a while.
    Venture Surplus ad

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Yeah.
    I use an incandescent to keep an outside faucet from freezing (4 nights per year :green: ). I've been reduced to using a 40 watt for this & last winter.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep, we replace every burnt out bulb with LED.

For keeping pipes from freezing get the large infrared bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Well, I could have been talking about my prostate test too....

Back to the op, I should have noted that every light fixture and lamp in my home is LED with the exception of the one I use to read at my recliner. For some reason, I cannot find an LED that has the right color spectrum so I can read my books without eye strain. I use the daylight GE incandescent bulbs and my eyes are fine....use any one of four different LED bulbs and my eyes burn by the time I go to bed.

Wanted to get that off my chest so you guys don't think I am just a cheap b*****d who doesn't want to spend a few extra bucks for a light bulb. But, actually I am a cheap b*****d and I always will be when it comes to being told what I should and should not spend my money on.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Don’t get me wrong, I thought the ban on incandescent bulbs was stupid. I choose LED bulbs because they last forever and are cheap to leave on.

If the environmental types want me to take their side, give me products that make my life better. Force it and I will do everything I can to work against them.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Don’t get me wrong, I thought the ban on incandescent bulbs was stupid. I choose LED bulbs because they last forever and are cheap to leave on.

If the environmental types want me to take their side, give me products that make my life better. Force it and I will do everything I can to work against them.

Exactly right. The ban on incandescent bulbs brought us fluorescents with mercury problems. I personally like LED and the market alone could have been the factor for which bulbs survived. But no, we have toilet bowl regulations for water volume, ethanol for gasoline, light bulb regulations, all with unintended consequences. The market does a pretty good job if we keep the government out. Like we need Bloomberg regulating soft drinks ( as well as everything else ).

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The color spectrum of a light should not only be pleasing to your eyes, but also should match the lighting in the rest of your home.

Lots of LED lights have adjustable color temps, so you can dial it in to your preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    When we built our house about seventeen years ago, as bulbs needed changing, I started using fluorescent replacement bulbs. I still have quite a few that are still being used that are well over fifteen years old. My reasons were for using less energy and to save money in the long run, but also with 14' ceilings, they are difficult to replace. Saves dragging in the 12' stepladder to change a bulb!

I am now switching to LED bulbs as the need to be replaced. And they too are more energy efficient, and more cost effective in the long run. And prices are dropping on LED lights as well.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    When we built our house about seventeen years ago, as bulbs needed changing, I started using fluorescent replacement bulbs. I still have quite a few that are still being used that are well over fifteen years old. My reasons were for using less energy and to save money in the long run, but also with 14' ceilings, they are difficult to replace. Saves dragging in the 12' stepladder to change a bulb!

I am now switching to LED bulbs as the need to be replaced. And they too are more energy efficient, and more cost effective in the long run. And prices are dropping on LED lights as well.
    You need one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ettore-Bulb-Changer-with-Pole-48450/204706091

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Which is great, except when you need it to make heat.

Oven technology has progressed at an alarming rate since the days of cooking with light bulbs

3810d32db2d532c0dd734bec7e0d3b16.jpg

Unintended consequence of incandescent bulb bans:
    All those factory workers making easy-bake ovens are looking for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• 3810d32db2d532c0dd734bec7e0d3b16.jpg
      3810d32db2d532c0dd734bec7e0d3b16.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 232

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I used florescent bulbs 4years ago, out of 15 bulbs, 4 have died already. Just a FYI.

Top Bottom