• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • technoronin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I managed to get out to Lone Star Gun Range this afternoon and shoot my new PSL (http://www.dragunov.net/romanian_psl.html). First, without the scope and then with the scope. It seems that I was a lot more accurate without the scope (even though I'm still a lousy shot). The geometry of the short stock & the way the scope is mounted requires me to twist into some really awkward positions. It was very hard on my back and twisted my right wrist into a very uncomfortable position.

I think I need a longer stock, preferably with a pistol grip that's a bit smaller than what's on there. Any suggestions?

Other than that, I certainly got some interest from some of the folks at the range, they really wanted to know what it was.
    Gun Zone Deals

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Just add a butt pad to the stock, you can gain an inch to the length of pull. Are you over 6 feet tall? I'm 5'10" and Dragunov stocks are a tad short for me, but never gave me any trouble like you're describing. Relax and cant the rifle to bring the optics into your line of sight if you have to.

Not sure I'd go with a smaller pistol grip, it seems like it's easier to hold a something that's wider without having it in a death grip.

technoronin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I'm 6'2" and a bit scrawny. I don't think that adding an inch is going to be nearly enough. As far as the pistol grip, it seems to be a bit awkward and a stretch to reach the trigger. Perhaps my technique is flawed, this is the first rifle I have shot in over 30 years and the first high power rifle I have ever shot.

My plan is to sign up for one of the Appleseed courses and try to learn the right way to shoot.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I definately think asking for help in person would be good as someone in person may be able to offer a little more insight as to technique, an appleseed might be a good place to start, never been to one, if you go please give an update.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I'm 6'4" with longish arms and don't have any trouble with my PSL

Consistent cheek weld will be difficult with the high scope mounting, but it's not supposed to be a sub-MOA sniper rifle. It's more of a designated marksman rifle, and ~2MOA is sufficient for that purpose since it's also supposed to be able to use the iron sights without removing the scope.

technoronin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I think it may be possible to use the iron sights if I remove the rubber eyepiece on the scope, but I haven't tried. I have taken a look at the sights with the eyepiece installed and I don't think I could use them.

Maybe the way I'm trying to hold the rifle is very wrong, but it really makes my wrist hurt to get the pad of my right hand behind the grip.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I grip mine like this without any problems...

31a3d473.jpg

Feels pretty easy and natural to me.

Of course, it's designed for right-handed shooters.

technoronin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Yeah, that's how I grip it. It's not bad, but it does feel like a bit of a stretch to the trigger. I don't care for double stack magazines in pistols either.

It's when I try to hold it tight into my shoulder that I have the most trouble, my wrist gets bent back as far as it can go and by the time I get my head where I can look through the scope even my lower back starts to complain.

I do have chronic issues with muscle tension in my back, so perhaps that is reducing my flexibility to the point that I can't comfortably twist far enough.

I will be the first to admit that I still have a lot to learn, I'm just now getting seriously interested in rifles.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    The only problem that I have had is the rough trigger pull and need to have that taken care of .
    I have also ordered a butt pad from cheaper than dirt that is an
    extra 2 inches long as the stock is a tad short.
    I guess all those Romanian snipers must be little guys.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Russian guns tend to have about 1" shorter stocks than the standard length for US or even Euro manufacture guns. The PSL on the other hand is about 2" shorter than the domestic standard. I don't mind since I like to get close and tight on the gun, especially for iron sights. I can see how it can be problematic for some shooters, especially with longer arms.

My suggestion is to restock the gun, or to replace the end plate with an adjustable spacer system. If you go with a softer spacer you'll also remove some of the blood pump out of your optics view.

I'm curious how these shoot for you guys. We got one at Red's and the ammo is really cheap. I'd imagine it would do 2 - 3 MOA?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It's when I try to hold it tight into my shoulder that I have the most trouble, my wrist gets bent back as far as it can go and by the time I get my head where I can look through the scope even my lower back starts to complain.

For the wrist: let your elbow droop. Relax your right arm. Your elbow goes next to your liver.

For the neck thing, it seems like it'd be worse with the iron sights, since those are lower. Adjust where the rifle sits in your shoulder, higher or lower, so that you can get a look through the scope better. Bring the scope to your eye, don't bring your eye to the scope.

It sounds a bit to me like you just need to relax into the rifle.

technoronin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Russian guns tend to have about 1" shorter stocks than the standard length for US or even Euro manufacture guns. The PSL on the other hand is about 2" shorter than the domestic standard. I don't mind since I like to get close and tight on the gun, especially for iron sights. I can see how it can be problematic for some shooters, especially with longer arms.

My suggestion is to restock the gun, or to replace the end plate with an adjustable spacer system. If you go with a softer spacer you'll also remove some of the blood pump out of your optics view.

I'm curious how these shoot for you guys. We got one at Red's and the ammo is really cheap. I'd imagine it would do 2 - 3 MOA?

Currently, the gun is far more accurate than I am, but what I read online says less than 2 MOA.

I'm looking for a replacement stock, but I have not found one yet. Suggestions are welcome.

You are also quite welcome to come shoot mine sometime.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You are also quite welcome to come shoot mine sometime.

2 MOA is standard for most battle rifles, and I'd love to try out one. Of the Russian guns I've always been more of a fan of the bolt-actions, but the Dragonov and it's kin have always peaked my interest more than the AKs.

Do you live in Austin?

technoronin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Well, "live" might be too strong a term. I have a house in Austin and I work in College Station. I travel back and forth on weekends.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    The PSL chambers 7.62x54R but kicks like an AK with the lesser 7.62x39. This is because of the very effective muzzle brake and the recoil spring in the buttplate.

Point of Impact changes as the barrel heats up - I believe that it climbs.

SVDs and knockoffs can handle any 7.62x54R; the PSL should avoid "heavy ball" ammunition.

Top Bottom