• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I came across this band the other day called Death. Its 3 brothers from Detriot, that happen to also be black. They started playing in the early 70's but could never get a record deal becuase of the name. The just recently got "found" by some vintage vinyl collectors back in 2013. There was even a documentary about them called "A band named Death". I watched it last night, it was pretty good & a crazy story on how their lives have been since the 70's.
    If your a fan of Punk i definitely recommend watching the documentary.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_(proto-punk_band)

Death_%28protopunk_band%29.JPEG.jpg

The three original members of Death: David, Bobby, and Dannis Hackney

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_proto-punk_bands

Attachments

• Death_%28protopunk_band%29.JPEG.jpg
      Death_%28protopunk_band%29.JPEG.jpg
      16.9 KB · Views: 421

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I humbly submit the Ramones as the first Punk rockers
    Nope. First to be known world wide maybe, and not to knock Saints Joey, Johnny , Dee Dee and Tommy but The Stooges started in 1967 , the MC5 in 1964 and to a lesser degree The Velvet Underground ( also 1964) where as The Ramones didn’t hit the scene until 1974.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    It started for me around 1977 when I figured punk girls were easy. I think the first time I seen the Ramones was 75. A buddies older brother turned us on to it around 74.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I remember being a kid ...about 4 or 5 & my pops throwing on a vinyl 45 of Kick out the Jams... that would have been 79' or so. My dad had a pretty eclectic taste in music. I can still remember jumping on the couch & running around like a kid eating a pound of sugar when he'd put that song on.

roadapple

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    Claude, Texas
    Ain't it funny how times change... and stay the same.

The people that remember Punk Rocks beginnings are either dead, or they are the old farts now. The other day, I heard a kid talking about Grunge being the great music he grew up listening to, and how the only good music was made in the 1990's. This kid was 40 years old. When I first started work as a Texas Peace Officer, I was driving my patrol car and found a radio station that played the music I like. I was happy that I found a radio station that played Classic Rock, Southern Rock and Country-Rock; like I grew up listening to, before Disco and the crappy modern "new-age music" of the 80's ruined all radio programing in the free world. When the station identified itself, it called itself an "oldies" station. I always thought oldies, and golden oldies, came from the 1950's and 1960's. I listened to a lot of Alt. Rock in the 1990's (the stuff that was never played on the radio) because there wasn't any radio stations playing anything that wasn't of the "bubble-gum pop", or "bubble-gum country" genre that has taken over the airwaves.

If anyone comes out playing real music again, it should be held up for the music industry to see (hear) so they can have something for a new standard in which to judge any new song coming out. I know there are some "new" acts that are very good, but they are few and far between.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Either thats a short ceiling or your a sasquatch :laughing:
    Most doors are 7'... you gotta be 6'8"?
    I am 6’4. A little bit of forced perspective in the photo, but it is the attic apartment I had when I lived in in Michigan and the door/ceiling are a little shorter.

MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apropos of not much..I remember walking past a London (not where I lived and still not my favourite place) pub in 1976 with 3 others on my way to an adventure . There was a chalk written sign outside announcing that the "Sex Pistols" would be playing there that night , we shrugged, queried and moved on...….

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I ... found a radio station that played ... Classic Rock, Southern Rock and Country-Rock; ... When the station identified itself, it called itself an "oldies" station.
    One of my earliest memories, when I was 5 or 6 in the mid-1960s, was hearing a self-identified oldies station on the radio in the car. They were playing pre-WWII big band music.

I guess what qualifies as oldies or "the good stuff from when I was a kid" is arbitrary as all get-out, being merely an accident of when we were born.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I discovered Death some time last year from the podcast Crime Town which uses Politicians In My Eyes as the intro music for their second season. I was never really in the punk scene but I like a lot of the music. I do tend to like Celtic punk more though.

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    I'm always disappointed that old school Texas punk never gets its dues... Bands like MDC, DRI, Big Boys, the Dicks.

Top Bottom