Purchase ID requirements

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by rcsoar4fun, Jul 16, 2008.

1. rcsoar4fun

rcsoar4fun New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    What exactly are the ID requirements when purchasing a handgun here in TX? Most things I have seen cite a "photo ID; i.e. DL". I just moved here a few weeks ago, yesterday I turned over my Oklahoma DL to TX. Now I all I have is a little piece of paper from TX with my name and info on it. :rolleyes: The real thing will arrive in a few weeks. Would that piece of paper and a army base ID work? Paper ID and passport?

2. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    Yep, just about any of those will work fine. You'll need a TX ID to prove you are a TX resident, and until your plastic gets to you, any government issued photo I.D. should be fine.

No ID required for a private sale, although verifying age and/or CHL is recommended.

3. gladi8r

gladi8r Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Even your old id and a set of orders would work

4. rcsoar4fun

rcsoar4fun New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Texas takes your old ID when you apply for a new one. I don't have orders either, I am a civilian contractor. I suppose I *could* wait the two weeks, but you never know. :D:D

5. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    A government issue Photo I.D. with age and proof of residence is all you need to purchase a gun from an FFL in Texas or anywhere.

6. kville79

kville79 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Austin
    yeah, a military ID and a set of orders, or your military ID and that paper DL will work

7. four

four New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Cedar Park
    Also a new resident here. I just received my TXDL. Why is my local gun store telling me I need to prove residency for 90 days in order to purchase a handgun? I know that applies to legal aliens, but I'm a US citizen. Can't find anywhere a residency requirement for purchase. Am I confused? :confused:

8. TSU45

TSU45 Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    Take you money elsewhere and don't tell them you just moved instate.

While selling guns as an undergrad I never ran across that question with new state residents who were US citizens. Permanent resident aliens yes.

9. four

four New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Cedar Park
    That actually happened accidentally yesterday :D I guess that's where I have to buy for the time being.