Purchase ID requirements

rcsoar4fun

Jun 12, 2008
What exactly are the ID requirements when purchasing a handgun here in TX? Most things I have seen cite a "photo ID; i.e. DL". I just moved here a few weeks ago, yesterday I turned over my Oklahoma DL to TX. Now I all I have is a little piece of paper from TX with my name and info on it. :rolleyes: The real thing will arrive in a few weeks. Would that piece of paper and a army base ID work? Paper ID and passport?

Kerbouchard

Jun 18, 2008
Dallas
Yep, just about any of those will work fine. You'll need a TX ID to prove you are a TX resident, and until your plastic gets to you, any government issued photo I.D. should be fine.

No ID required for a private sale, although verifying age and/or CHL is recommended.

rcsoar4fun

Jun 12, 2008
Texas takes your old ID when you apply for a new one. I don't have orders either, I am a civilian contractor. I suppose I *could* wait the two weeks, but you never know. :D:D

Kerbouchard

Jun 18, 2008
Dallas
A government issue Photo I.D. with age and proof of residence is all you need to purchase a gun from an FFL in Texas or anywhere.

four

Aug 20, 2008
Cedar Park
Also a new resident here. I just received my TXDL. Why is my local gun store telling me I need to prove residency for 90 days in order to purchase a handgun? I know that applies to legal aliens, but I'm a US citizen. Can't find anywhere a residency requirement for purchase. Am I confused? :confused:

TSU45

Jun 6, 2008
San Marcos, Tx
Also a new resident here. I just received my TXDL. Why is my local gun store telling me I need to prove residency for 90 days in order to purchase a handgun? I know that applies to legal aliens, but I'm a US citizen. Can't find anywhere a residency requirement for purchase. Am I confused? :confused:
Take you money elsewhere and don't tell them you just moved instate.

While selling guns as an undergrad I never ran across that question with new state residents who were US citizens. Permanent resident aliens yes.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Latest posts

Forum statistics