• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcsoar4fun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    What exactly are the ID requirements when purchasing a handgun here in TX? Most things I have seen cite a "photo ID; i.e. DL". I just moved here a few weeks ago, yesterday I turned over my Oklahoma DL to TX. Now I all I have is a little piece of paper from TX with my name and info on it. :rolleyes: The real thing will arrive in a few weeks. Would that piece of paper and a army base ID work? Paper ID and passport?
    DK Firearms

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    Yep, just about any of those will work fine. You'll need a TX ID to prove you are a TX resident, and until your plastic gets to you, any government issued photo I.D. should be fine.

No ID required for a private sale, although verifying age and/or CHL is recommended.

rcsoar4fun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Texas takes your old ID when you apply for a new one. I don't have orders either, I am a civilian contractor. I suppose I *could* wait the two weeks, but you never know. :D:D

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    A government issue Photo I.D. with age and proof of residence is all you need to purchase a gun from an FFL in Texas or anywhere.

four

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Cedar Park
    Also a new resident here. I just received my TXDL. Why is my local gun store telling me I need to prove residency for 90 days in order to purchase a handgun? I know that applies to legal aliens, but I'm a US citizen. Can't find anywhere a residency requirement for purchase. Am I confused? :confused:

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    Also a new resident here. I just received my TXDL. Why is my local gun store telling me I need to prove residency for 90 days in order to purchase a handgun? I know that applies to legal aliens, but I'm a US citizen. Can't find anywhere a residency requirement for purchase. Am I confused? :confused:

Take you money elsewhere and don't tell them you just moved instate.

While selling guns as an undergrad I never ran across that question with new state residents who were US citizens. Permanent resident aliens yes.

Top Bottom