Lynx Defense

Purchase of long guns by Florida resident?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SunBird

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Naples,FL
    While in a Wally World buying ammo, I noticed a WW map/chart dated 2004 that showed that Florida residents could not buy long guns in Texas. I have tried to research this issue on line but have been unable to find an applicable law. I have ccw permits from 2 states recognized by Texas, but I can't buy a long gun if I find something I like? Doesn't make sense. Can anyone enlighten me on this? :1zhelp:

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I know the only way i could buy firearms of any kind while stationed out of state i had to us my Military ID and my orders showing i was there by military order because i hold a TX DL.

SunBird

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Naples,FL
    The chart I referred to showed that residents of more than 20 states could buy long guns in Texas, but not Floridians. I'm talking FTF transactions , not internet transactions. I'm here for an extended stay, but not thinking of changing my residence. I know the federal laws are different for handguns.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The chart I referred to showed that residents of more than 20 states could buy long guns in Texas, but not Floridians. I'm talking FTF transactions , not internet transactions. I'm here for an extended stay, but not thinking of changing my residence. I know the federal laws are different for handguns.

In that case, no. From the How to Buy a Gun in Texas article in this forum...

If you are from out of state it is illegal to purchase a firearm in the state of Texas from a Texas resident in a face to face transfer. This is engaging in innerstate (sic) commerce and requires an FFL (Federal Firearms License).

Texas1911 meant "interstate" but it remains illegal to purchase any weapon here if you are not a Texas resident unless of course you are military stationed here.

SunBird

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Naples,FL
    Not to be argumentative, but I was referring to a purchase from a FFL with the usual 4473 and NICS. Seems to me possession of a Florida concealed carry permit (recognized by Texas) indicates that I am legally able to purchase a firearm in my home state. Also, why would the Wally World chart specifically exclude Florida residents, while permitting residents of many other states. The WW clerk couldn't explain it and the cited article doesn't really cover it IMHO.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I think the problem is that in Florida, firearms sales are reported to Florida law enforcement rather than the federal instant check people. The following is from the NRA site on Florida gun laws:
    No licensed gun dealer, manufacturer or importer shall sell or deliver any firearm to another person until he has obtained a completed form from the potential buyer or transferee and received approval from the Department of Law Enforcement by means of a toll-free telephone call. The Department of Law Enforcement shall destroy records of approval and non-approval within 48 hours after its response. The fee for the instant check shall be $8.00. Exempt from the instant check are licensed dealers, manufacturers, importers, collectors, persons with a concealed carrying license, law enforcement, correctional and correctional probation officers.

I'm guessing WalMart (and others) don't want to deal with a State agency for the instant check, but there could be another reason.​

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I have a second home in another state, and while I'm RESIDING in that state, I can purchase any firearm another resident of that state can purchase. If you will be making your residence in Texas for any expended period of time and maintaining a residence you can purchase firearms here. I used utility bills and a car registration to show my residence in the second state and several dealers there have had no problems at all with it. As long as you can show something to prove you are maintaining a residence, and not just a hotel receipt, you can claim residency.

docbrazos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Weatherford, Texas
    Residency is not where your living at the time.
    Texas Say's you Reside in Texas if you have a Texas DL. If you live here 9 mo but have a Second home in XX your still a resident of XX as long as your Id is from there.
    That's why I've often been asked to just show a TEXAS ID at Gun Shows to do a Non FFL FTF to so the Seller has covered his butt. This is especially true when the gun Shows have been real close to the State lines.

Top Bottom