• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C_Fenn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Hey everybody,

I am going to be purchasing my first handgun in the next couple of months and I'd like some advice about what to get. I've gone shooting with a friend and I've tried out his .357 Ruger Revolver, Walther PPS, and .22 Ruger pistol. I've decided that I like the look and feel of the revolver the best. I want a Western-style six shooter so I have been looking at Colts and Rugers. I'd like to know if anyone could give me some advice as to whether one is better than the other, what they may be better for, etc? I really appreciate any help that you could give me.

Thanks!
    Carl

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    ...Western-style six shooter ...

For me, that conjurs up the image of a single-action revolver with fixed sights. I that realm, I'd recommend the Ruger Vaquero. Taking one step away to a revolver with an adjustable rear sight, but still single-action, the Ruger Super Blackhawk. Both are built like brick poophouses, and are typically less expensive and more readily available than Colts.

As for what they are "may be better for"...well, what's your intended use? Neither are the best when it comes to personal or home defense, obviously. Their best attributes, in this day and age, are target shooting and hunting.

C_Fenn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    For me, that conjurs up the image of a single-action revolver with fixed sights. I that realm, I'd recommend the Ruger Vaquero. Taking one step away to a revolver with an adjustable rear sight, but still single-action, the Ruger Super Blackhawk. Both are built like brick poophouses, and are typically less expensive and more readily available than Colts.

As for what they are "may be better for"...well, what's your intended use? Neither are the best when it comes to personal or home defense, obviously. Their best attributes, in this day and age, are target shooting and hunting.

Well, I'd like to start target shooting. I plan on eventually getting a smaller semi-automatic for personal defense. I really like the Walther PPS and that may be what I end up getting for that purpose. There is a 50th Anniversary Super Blackhawk at the store that I went to yesterday and it was $699. It was beautiful.

Is a Ruger just as good as a Colt? Are you mainly paying double the price for the name or is there something more?

Thanks!
    Carl

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I like the Ruger GP100 revolver. I always read good things about them. I just never have the funds when a good deal comes up. I have a S&W 586 and a Rossi 462 (.357 mag) but I rally want a Ruger. I'd for with a Ruger for your first revolver. Once you get into guns (and you most likely, WILL) you can always upgrade to a Colt. Of course this is just my $.02.

Have fun with your search.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Welcome to the wonderful world of guns! You want a single action cowboy gun or a more modern double action revolver? Ether way a Ruger .357 is a good choice and will serve you well for a long time. My dads Blackhawk 357 is a blast to shoot. As far as Colt or Ruger, it's really a matter of what name you want on the side of the gun, and a Ruger is just as good as a colt in my opinion.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Let me say this about Ruger. They are almost indestructible.
    I have and still own many Ruger's and they are fine guns.
    I prefer them over S&W and Colt when it comes to pistols.
    Their auto's are fine as well and I would stack them up with the Colts and S&W.
    I have owned 2 S&W model 29's and both failed with full bore magnum loads as where my Ruger never even hiccuped.
    Just my deuce and a quarter!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Is a Ruger just as good as a Colt? Are you mainly paying double the price for the name or is there something more?

In the world of "western-style six shooters," you are paying for the name, relative to the Colt Peacemaker's place in history. I own more than 10 revolvers from Colt, S&W, and Ruger. You should not have any reservations about buying the Ruger of your choice.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Ruger Vaquero if you are looking for a real cowboy gun. .Get the 45 colt and you're back in Deadwood

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom