• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Just read the posted law again. Missed the "not less than" the first time.

But yeah, the way I learned it was purple means stay out, course I was raised to know that a fence itself meant stay out and never came across the markings without a fence present.

I've seen it on trees, and that was inside 1604!

Wonder if it would apply to privacy fences in the city.

I'm pretty sure the privacy fence counts at least as high as a no trespassing sign would.

ETA: There's a specific definition of a public place in Texas penal code. A public place can be private property.

"Public place" means any place to which the public or a substantial group of the public has access and includes, but is not limited to, streets, highways, and the common areas of schools, hospitals, apartment houses, office buildings, transport facilities, and shops.

Your unfenced front yard would qualify as a public place, where your living room doesn't. Nor would your gated back yard that's got 6 foot high (or higher if your city isn't stingy like SA) privacy fence around it. There are more than a few situations where that can make a big difference and of course I'm thinking along the lines of how you deal with unwelcome visitors. Someone hanging out on your unfenced lawn, you need to approach a lot differently than you can a guy inside your privacy fence if you want to stay on the right side of the law.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I found that the law was enacted on September 1, 1997.

The official color is called "Federal Purple" but I believe any shade of purple close to that will suffice.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I had been wondering about putting purple lines on the trees in my front yard, any advantage to it?

Would you put a "No Tresspassing" sign there? Do you need that sign there? If so, then yes.

The paint just says the same thing (if people know what the paint means, that is).

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Would you put a "No Tresspassing" sign there? Do you need that sign there? If so, then yes.

The paint just says the same thing (if people know what the paint means, that is).

Probably not & don't suppose I "need" a sign, just something I tossed around a few years ago & the paint did not seem as obtrusive......

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    been around a lot longer than that though

I believe that. It was just news to me. I’ve hunted on other private properties and the owners never mentioned anything about purple paint. Learn something everyday. :)

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Purple paint means purple paint. Do not cross unless you have permission.

Yeah I'm a lot more lax when interpreting intent on purple paint than I am with 3006 signs. Saw some dude who seemed to have stopped reading half way through and had painted tree trunks with rings painted around them fifteen feet up... Totally not compliant, but I stayed on my side of them. If they really want it to have teeth against the kind of people they want to keep out, then they should read the law though.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Your unfenced front yard would qualify as a public place, where your living room doesn't. Nor would your gated back yard that's got 6 foot high (or higher if your city isn't stingy like SA) privacy fence around it. There are more than a few situations where that can make a big difference and of course I'm thinking along the lines of how you deal with unwelcome visitors. Someone hanging out on your unfenced lawn, you need to approach a lot differently than you can a guy inside your privacy fence if you want to stay on the right side of the law.

Pretty much any fence that looks like even a token effort at placing a distinguishing border will count under Texas law. Long as it looks like it's designed to "exclude" not just "contain" or "prevent entry", it would seem to meet the criteria. I'm pretty sure a velvet rope from a movie theater set up around my front yard would count.

(B) fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain livestock;

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Yeah I'm a lot more lax when interpreting intent on purple paint than I am with 3006 signs. Saw some dude who seemed to have stopped reading half way through and had painted tree trunks with rings painted around them fifteen feet up... Totally not compliant, but I stayed on my side of them. If they really want it to have teeth against the kind of people they want to keep out, then they should read the law though.

Agreed.

All of mine follow the law. I still won't cross where they're not. To me it's just not worth it. I can tell what the intent was.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

It doesn't matter if they know what it means. Understanding what it means is their responsibility, like being able to read and comprehend the words "no trespassing" is. As far as the law is concerned, the words mean the same to an illiterate man or sone one who doesn't understand a word of English. His fault for not understanding.

Same holds true with the purple paint. It's everybody's responsibility to understand what it means.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    I actually didn't know this was a thing either until just earlier this month while thumbing through a Texas Outdoor Annual, and it mentioned something about the purple paint in the bylaws and regulations.

Pretty sure if I hadn't seen it there, I would have never even thought to look for/notice existing purple paint signs had I been anywhere that needed them in the first place.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom