• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    What material should be used in order to support a truck that im going jack up high so I can work on the transmission? Im also removing the wheels so I can replace calipers, lines etc.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Before we had frame stands we used big blocks of railroad ties cut to size. Back before safety was "cool"

Really though, if you can get some good frame stands, go that route. I've seen some pretty genius setups. If you've got a good flat workspace, that takes much of the horror out of working on it.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I got a 2 car carport with a dirt floor for my auto shop. Frame stands meaning jack stands? I cant afford anything expensive. Im really not trying to do it professionally either.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Old steel rims welded together.
    Lay one 15in rim flat on it side and weld 2 14in rims bead to bead.
    Gives you 33in total height. More than enough room to get a tranny out.
    Back in the day this was my set up.
    I used cheap jack stands to get to the 1st jacking point. That gave about 24in. Then place 2x8's under the floor jack and jack up till the home made stands fit.
    If you don't have jack stands use concrete blocks with a piece of 2x6 laying on top of the block.
    These stands will not move once under the truck. The frame rails fit right down inside the rim.
    Oh yeah, be dam sure the guy that welds the rims knows what he's doing!!!!
    Local salvage yards get $5.00 for old steel rims and may give them to you if they are bent.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I can weld those rims no problem.
    P2080406.jpg

Ill show my old truck. its a 1989 w100.

PA060215.jpg

Has 70,048 original miles. Former Texas parks and wild life. 318 tbi with a 727 short tail. Yes it is steel, I rammed my arm into the bed sanding and had to have my elbow reset!! :(

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Yeah Ive done research on that. Thats a custom made brush guard from some place in Waco same as the Heavy duty rear bumper. If you cant dodge it, ram it!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Make sure it's sturdy and stable, especially on that dirt surface! I'd put something solid under it to stabilize.

You do not want something that could even possibly shift on you while you're pulling the trans out. Lots of force can get transmitted into the truck while you're doing a job like this.

Honestly, it looks tall enough that you might be able to just slide under it as is and go to work. That might be the safest way to go, even if it's not the most comfortable... But I'd rather be uncomfortable than flat any day.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    yes but, I want to remove all four wheels. Im replacing brake hardware, lines etc. I only need to replace the pan and fix two bolt threads on the tranny. Im not pulling the transmission out.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Oh jeez. I saw "work on the transmission" and thought you were going to get some business done!

For brakes, just get a pair of jack stands, do one end at a time... Stands aren't all that expensive.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You might want to replace the front and rear seal while you're working on it pretty easy and fairly cheap on those old trucks. I would not use cinder blocks for jack stands if I didn't have to. I had one break on me and that was not a fun day. Old rims work good just weld the piss out of them. And what ever you do don't go to COTTMAN TRANSMISSION! LOL!

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    You might want to replace the front and rear seal while you're working on it pretty easy and fairly cheap on those old trucks. I would not use cinder blocks for jack stands if I didn't have to. I had one break on me and that was not a fun day. Old rims work good just weld the piss out of them. And what ever you do don't go to COTTMAN TRANSMISSION! LOL!

++1 nor go to AAMCO or Lee Myles.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    You can jack up the wheels individually for a brake job. If you are working on the transmission, you could dig a hole and roll the truck over it. It's safer than homemade jack stands on dirt or straddle a small culvert.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Jacking up one wheel at a time, you still need a stand. Never, ever trust a jack to hold a car up.

Pits are very dangerous places. If you drop a heavy component, guess where you can run to get away...

There's a reason that only quick lube places use pits anymore.

Top Bottom