• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ormandj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Hi,

I'm planning to build a 6.5x55 rifle for myself. Current thoughts are a Savage action, McGowen barrel, McMillan A5 stock, and a Zeiss scope. This will be my first 'custom' rifle. I am a reloader, just not a gunsmith.

That said, I know nearly nothing about smithing, and will need help putting this together properly. Obviously, I am not adverse to payment. :) I want to make sure this is done correctly. I'd prefer a smith who is not adverse to spending the time to explain why/how things are done - in my profession - there are lots of people who can do something, but the true masters can explain what they have done, as well. I am looking for this caliber of smith.

I appreciate any advice you can give me. I live in San Antonio, but am willing to travel anywhere in Texas to make this happen. Closer is more convenient, but I do not want to sacrifice quality for convenience.

Thank you all,
    David
    Gun Zone Deals

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'd like to give you some info, but sadly I don't know about gunsmiths in San Antonio.

I will tell you that your choice of caliber is awesome, I almost got into the 6.5 Swede caliber and wish that I had, the rifles chambered for that caliber were all really accurate.

ormandj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Hi Phatcyclist. Thanks! Do you know any smiths outside of SA? Like I said, I'm open to anyone in Texas. :)

I'm glad you've gotten into the Swede, it's hard to beat! I've shot M96s with iron sights into MOA territory using 30 year old ammunition. Nothing like low recoil, high BC cartridges/bullets!

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There's Hank Flemming and Robert Butell in Austin, I'd think either one would be right at home re-barreling a Savage, they are apparently easy to do. There is a place around Austin called Hill Country Rifles, and they could as well. Their website says that they're going to need 4 months to rebarrel, that's a long time. I know Sportsmans Finest in Bee Caves where Butell works has a wiat too, but you have to call them and see.

Hopefully that helps to you some.

ormandj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    San Antonio, TX USA
    There's Hank Flemming and Robert Butell in Austin, I'd think either one would be right at home re-barreling a Savage, they are apparently easy to do. There is a place around Austin called Hill Country Rifles, and they could as well. Their website says that they're going to need 4 months to rebarrel, that's a long time. I know Sportsmans Finest in Bee Caves where Butell works has a wiat too, but you have to call them and see.

Hopefully that helps to you some.

I can put a barrel on an action in an hour (Savage). I'm looking for people who can do the bedding and so forth, professionally. It's not a difficult task, but experience trumps all. I'm trying to take the short-cut by finding an experienced smith to handle this for me. Waiting a month+ for something that takes at most a few hours, is not something I'm willing to do. Thanks for the head's up, I'll give those two a ring and see what they can do!

Cheers,
    David

stockFD3S

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Leon Valley, TX
    Hey David!

Glad to see you on the site.

I'd give Greg Ferris a call at Cedar Ridge Range/Ferris Firearms. His work speaks for itself and I highly recommend him.

Top Bottom