• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    Does anyone know where I would start to look to find out if its possible to build and use a small outdoor range on a 10 acre plot of land. It is rural, but according to the tax documents we will be paying city taxes, so I guess this means it is inside the city limits. The tax forms state the property is "Farm-Ranch-House-Ltd-Acre". Would I ask the sheriff, city council, etc. Can I find this info online somewhere?
    Guns International

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I am more concerned with whether my idea was legal or not. I thought it is illegal to discharge a gun in certain city limits. I imagined if I lived in down town Dallas and was shooting in my backyard I would get in trouble? I don't live near any big city, so do you think i will be OK?
    Maybe its a dumb question I am asking, but i genuinely have no idea if I can shoot my handgun on the property or whether I would need to drive in to town to a range still :o

Although I've never read it myself, I would suggest the NRA Range Sourcebook, which it supposed to be the comprehensive reference on building gun ranges of almost any sort.

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    If you're in Azle city limits for sure, you'll have to ask them (a police officer I guess?). We live outside of any city limits (although we have a Weatherford postal address) in rural Parker County and my neighbors and I shoot on our respective properties frequently. I built a berm for this purpose, but usually only shoot .22 back there so as not to disturb people with noise.

As I mentioned in another thread, the Parker County Sportsman Club (about 30 minutes drive) has very nice outdoor ranges and is inexpensive.

zaraster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    There was a news story on I think McKinney where houses were built up around this guy’s property. He was allowed to shoot as long as he was more than 1,000 ft from any houses. This was bird hinting with a shotgun.

zaraster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    Shooting on agricultural land, and limits on city power to regulate shooting
    SB 734 -- Amends Agriculture Code 251.002, 251.005 and Local Government Code 43.002, and adds Local Government Code 229.002.

Cities previously had unbridled authority, with no public recourse, to pass an ordinance prohibiting the discharge of a firearm, air gun or bow on any new land annexed by a city, regardless of its previous usage or lack of development. This gives landowners recourse and only effects city-annexed lands. It should help to slow down the anti-gun-rights effects of urban sprawl.

First, it limits the definition of an "agricultural operation" to a specific list of activities, and adds silviculture (development and care of forests) and wildlife management to the existing list. The law previously was not limited to the activities on the list.

Because some city regulations could affect shooting, certain controls are expanded and described in greater detail than previously, to help limit abuse. A city in general may not regulate anything on the redefined agricultural operations outside its boundaries, or that exist on newly annexed land.

Cities are also now specifically prohibited from regulating shooting on certain defined lands: 1 - if the gun is a shotgun, air gun, BB gun or bow and arrow, on 10 acres or more and not within 150 feet of a residence or occupied building on another property, if it is fired in a way that is unlikely to cross a property line, or 2 - for a centerfire or rim fire pistol or rifle of any caliber on 50 acres, not within 300 feet of a residence or occupied building on another property, and in a way not likely to cross a property line. The defined lands include those within the extraterritorial jurisdiction of a city, or areas annexed after Sep. 1, 1981.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I am more concerned with whether my idea was legal or not. I thought it is illegal to discharge a gun in certain city limits. I imagined if I lived in down town Dallas and was shooting in my backyard I would get in trouble? I don't live near any big city, so do you think i will be OK?
    Maybe its a dumb question I am asking, but i genuinely have no idea if I can shoot my handgun on the property or whether I would need to drive in to town to a range still :o

Ask around. I would start with the local government. Most cities have ordinances against discharging firearms within city limits, but there are always exceptions and/or exemptions.

Top Bottom