• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasEric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    Houston
    Seriously planning on purchasing a 9mm suppressor this coming week. Probably a Rugged obsidian 9mm. This will be my 1st can.

This leaves me looking for a 30 cal suppressor for my 308 AR and my half built AR sbr project. I am left eye dominant, so am a bit fearful of being gassed out.
    I am fascinated by Q the cans. I also like the Surefire 300 sps. They are both close enough to 8 inches.

The Q can is titanium and is at least 6 oz lighter probably more factoring in mounting systems.
    Q has much better customer service. And the serialized portion is lower on the can. Incase of a bad baffle strike.

Surefire is more heavy duty, made of steal and inconel. It should have the least amount of blowback as well. I have a fear of getting too much gas.

Both should be very repeatable predictable impact shifts
    Both are very good sound suppression for 30 cal cans, even on 308.
    Both cans are in the wild now, and I cannot find a negative review about them yet.
    Both are damn near the same price on silencershop.

Either will be brought to training classes, so it must be able to take some hard use.

Please let me know what you think?
    Target Sports

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Seriously planning on purchasing a 9mm suppressor this coming week. Probably a Rugged obsidian 9mm. This will be my 1st can.

This leaves me looking for a 30 cal suppressor for my 308 AR and my half built AR sbr project. I am left eye dominant, so am a bit fearful of being gassed out.
    I am fascinated by Q the cans. I also like the Surefire 300 sps. They are both close enough to 8 inches.

The Q can is titanium and is at least 6 oz lighter probably more factoring in mounting systems.
    Q has much better customer service. And the serialized portion is lower on the can. Incase of a bad baffle strike.

Surefire is more heavy duty, made of steal and inconel. It should have the least amount of blowback as well. I have a fear of getting too much gas.

Both should be very repeatable predictable impact shifts
    Both are very good sound suppression for 30 cal cans, even on 308.
    Both cans are in the wild now, and I cannot find a negative review about them yet.

Either will be brought to training classes, so it must be able to take some hard use.

What mount system is the Q using?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TexasEric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    Houston
    What mount system is the Q using?

1. I believe it’s a conical taper mount system. Similar to the Sig SRD series cans and ultra series cans for Thunderbeast. It should have repeatable point of impact shift. It is also simple, nothing to wear down or break.

2. The Thunderbeast claim to fame is repeatability, little to no impact shift, and light weight. The Sig cans are similar, but not light weight. The folks at Q are the same people who made the SRD cans for Sig. So the Q cans are upgraded SRD cans, they already new what wanted to fix from making the previously mentioned Sig cans.

TexasEric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    Houston
    ye gads.
    I just counted that SilencerShop.com has 46(!) 7.62x51 cans currently in stock.

They've been great, thus far, to deal with, the couple of times I have bought there.

I have no idea how anyone would pick a can with that vast array.

Let us know how your shopping goes!

Thank you for the recommendation.
    I know from lots and lots of research, and a gut feeling when you find the one. Also, you would be shocked who you come across on internet forms. Once you start exchanging pms you pick a ton of info fast.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    The Q lineage goes back to the founding of AAC. I.e. AAC was founded by Kevin Brittingham. He and Robert Silvers had a tubeless M42000 in 2005. He jump started the Sig suppressor line and then left SIG and started Q.

I expect the Q cans are comparable to any of the latest generation of baffle stacks.

Interesting choice of mount. They got rid of the latch. It's like everyone has gone back to Phil sebergers Ops Inc mount design

TexasEric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    Houston
    The Q lineage goes back to the founding of AAC. I.e. AAC was founded by Kevin Brittingham. He and Robert Silvers had a tubeless M42000 in 2005. He jump started the Sig suppressor line and then left SIG and started Q.

I expect the Q cans are comparable to any of the latest generation of baffle stacks.

Interesting choice of mount. They got rid of the latch. It's like everyone has gone back to Phil sebergers Ops Inc mount design

Totally correct on that one. I am just wondering how many suppressors I can purchase without sending my wife off the deep end.
    I just purchased us a house, but doubling the suppressor tab may get me into some hot water.
    I am going to wait for the Black Friday sales and then order my cans.

I am totally going with the Thunderchicken.

TexasEric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    Houston
    I will leave these here. These are a few videos on the suppressors I like.

Surefire 300 sps
    Silencer shop

Full Nelson the direct thread version of the Thunder Chicken. It is half an inch longer than the Thunder chicken so it will be a bit more suppressed than the Thunder chicken will be.

Silencer shop

MAC

Lone Star boars

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

The reason you cannot find many reviews is almost nobody has them yet. It takes months for these to get into mainstream use and get unbiased, real world reviews on them.

While Rugged has a good track record, Q is lineage, as SC says, goes back to KB, and almost everything he has done has had issues in version 1.0.

I think you should try proven models with known history and not be a beta tester. There is no evidence the two you are choosing will be better than what is already out there.

TexasEric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    Houston
    The reason you cannot find many reviews is almost nobody has them yet. It takes months for these to get into mainstream use and get unbiased, real world reviews on them.

While Rugged has a good track record, Q is lineage, as SC says, goes back to KB, and almost everything he has done has had issues in version 1.0.

I think you should try proven models with known history and not be a beta tester. There is no evidence the two you are choosing will be better than what is already out there.

First of all I am stuck at work for 12 hours, with not much to do. This will be a long post. I am not attacking you or you thinking. I am just bored. Hopefully it helps someone in the future.
    I talked with SC for a bit. He pretty much swung me back to the 300 sps. That is saying ALOT for me, I have never been crazy about Surefire. The gripes I have against this can are the weight, serial number location (Incase of baffle strike), Surefire’s vagueness on minimal barrel length with this can, and finally Surefire straight fails on customer service so far for me. The last two are really SF problems not the can’s, but still important to me. With all that being said, SC STILL swung me back to the SF 300 sps.
    You are right about the cans not being in the mainstream.
    I agree with the thought process of proven model idea as well.
    I freaking love the fact the SF mounting system basically indexs you to the same spot for repeatability!
    You are right about the Q lineage statement as well.

Counter points
    With the lack of mass data from normal people, I had to go with the next best quantifiable source. I just posted db numbers from reputable companies. I should have posted MAC’s numbers too, but his video is 30 mins long. He did double review on the Q can and a rifle in it. I will probably post it later in the Q section. Both cans are good to very good on 300 blackout, and satisfactory to good on 308. Which is my intend intended use. As far as I know these companies tend to report the truth.

Q intrigued me. They had the test of creating Sigs SRD production cans with taper mounts system, to work most of the bugs out. They already knew what they wanted to do differently. I do think they will make moderate/minor improvements from here. Every 1st gen anything will have some issue. I believe these are probably the best two cans currently released for 300 black sound suppression in the 8 and probably 9 inch range.

I am presenting the tangible info I have gathered, and my thoughts about them.
    I believe for light and some moderate uses, like plinking/hunting the Q is sufficient. Heavy use, unquestionable preformane Machine Gun Rated toughness, and guaranteed the reliability I will go Surefire.

Of course I want you guys opinions. New info and thoughts are great and always welcomed.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I believe these are probably the best two cans currently released for 300 black sound suppression in the 8 and probably 9 inch range.

This goes to the heart of what I am talking about.

You have zero cans, and nearly zero experience with them, but somehow you managed to conclude, two cans with almost zero real world feedback, two cans you might not have shot or even handled, are somehow "the best two cans currently released". LOL. I bet I have more 300 BLK cans in my safe than you can name.

No insult meant, I really am trying to help - This is an affliction in the industry. So many newbies think the best is whatever is newest. On top of that, there is so much brand loyalty from other owners it is silly. After spending $1000 more more, people want to think they made the right decision, so they justify it by encourage others to make the same one. But it is far from true. Many older cans are still the best, that is why they are still on the market 5/10/15 years later.

The good news is most cans are decent, unlike 10 years ago, when there was a lot of junk. But there is still junk out there, and it is hard to fix/unload if you bought it. And the two MFGs you are looking at are responsible for a lot of junk. SF is much improved than 5 years ago, and KB fixes what is wrong (though Sig did not), but it is still a big risk to buy version 1 of their stuff. I bought an ElCamino and it has some minor issues. As for SF, I demo there cans at SHOT years ago and knew how bad they were and did not buy them., though I do own a 762-RC now and it too has issues. I have neither the Q can of SF can you are looking at so cannot offer 1st hand opinion.

The best advice I can give you is get out with some folks that have an assortment of cans, and try them. You might be surprised the latest piece of marketing is not the best.

TexasEric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    Houston
    This goes to the heart of what I am talking about.

You have zero cans, and nearly zero experience with them, but somehow you managed to conclude, two cans with almost zero real world feedback, two cans you might not have shot or even handled, are somehow "the best two cans currently released". LOL. I bet I have more 300 BLK cans in my safe than you can name.

No insult meant, I really am trying to help - This is an affliction in the industry. So many newbies think the best is whatever is newest. On top of that, there is so much brand loyalty from other owners it is silly. After spending $1000 more more, people want to think they made the right decision, so they justify it by encourage others to make the same one. But it is far from true. Many older cans are still the best, that is why they are still on the market 5/10/15 years later.

The good news is most cans are decent, unlike 10 years ago, when there was a lot of junk. But there is still junk out there, and it is hard to fix/unload if you bought it. And the two MFGs you are looking at are responsible for a lot of junk. SF is much improved than 5 years ago, and KB fixes what is wrong (though Sig did not), but it is still a big risk to buy version 1 of their stuff. I bought an ElCamino and it has some minor issues. As for SF, I demo there cans at SHOT years ago and knew how bad they were and did not buy them., though I do own a 762-RC now and it too has issues. I have neither the Q can of SF can you are looking at so cannot offer 1st hand opinion.

The best advice I can give you is get out with some folks that have an assortment of cans, and try them. You might be surprised the latest piece of marketing is not the best.

At the risk of sounding defensive, I will be honest with you. I am trying to learn as much as I can, as fast as I can. As far as the noob and brand fan boy thing goes, I understand where you are coming from. At least, as much I can from this side of the issue. Honestly, you are right in regard to what I said earlier. I should have said “Best cans that I know of, as a noob with little real world experience”. Although, I never claimed to be an expert. So let’s not laugh at the new guy, school me up. I what see through BS marketing and shills.
    You are 100 percent correct about just going out and shooting with some cans on. It is totally the best way to compare and find out which can is best for the host weapon of your choice.
    I have not told anyone about this, with anyone acception of SC a couple of days ago. I tried to setup a demo and got blocked by the companies and the suppressor dealer, as I am regular guy. This led me to non hands on research.
    As I said before, I am no fan of Surefire. The info that I have gathered through messaging, calling, and web surfing has lead me here to these cans, over a year. To be honest again, fanboy affect may be affecting my judgement with Q offerings. Which is why I am always looking for new info and opinions.
    Lastly you are clearly not shy, and are indicating you have good knowledge base of cans. What cans works well in your opinion, with Sbr’ed 300 blackout ARs and 18in barreled 308 AR’s?

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Well SC is a good resource, and nothing beats hands-on. As for fanboism, that is mostly on the other site.

On AR (SCAR-H actually) I use the 762-RC. A little loud, but good accuracy, no blowback. Not a big fan of the mount, you have to very careful to make sure it is locked on. It is the only one I have ever launched :-). I do not shoot a lot of auto 308, so not a lot of experience here. I do use a Titan-QD on my bolt gun, it works very well. OpsInc now AE stuff is also very good in 308.

For 300BLK, I use 762SDN6 mostly. Again good accuracy, good suppression, and built like a tank. I use on Hog gun, and F/A MK18 gun. 51T has known issues, but I do not have them. Mine lock up solid. They do wear, so when the loosen I will have to send it back for fix. AAC makes good stuff, but they need to dump the ratchet mount.

Not saying these are the two best out there, 762-RC certainly is not. But they work well for what I want to accomplish (accuracy & F/A durability). I actually like the 762SDN6 mostly on a 556 MK18, the larger bore has zero blowback, very low chance of baffle strike on F/A, both are on heavy side, but not carrying them far, and like the stout build for durability.

As for 9mm pistol, I my Tirant is very quiet, but my original Evolution is still king of the hill at 1.25 diameter all things considered. There are lots of good choices in 9mm, from SiCo, DeadAir, Griffin, Gemtech, etc., I am sure the Obsidian 9 will be good too, but have not tried it yet.

TexasEric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    Houston
    Just ordered the rugged obsidian 9. It won’t be king of the hill.
    I believe when you say it will be good. I was really torn between the Ti-rant 9 and Osprey 9 as well. I wanted to try something new I guess.

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Asking what 30 cal can is best is similar to asking what 9mm pistol is best. You're going to get a huge range of people that are hell-bent on telling you their opinion is the best. Then you'll also get a bunch of intelligent people with conflicting views on cans-- and many of them aren't /wrong/ they will just tell you what they like more.

There are a lot of really great ones, and not so great ones. The really terrible ones generally don't get recommended much.

But what is best for you really depends on priorities.
    dB reduction, weight, mounting system, durability, short barrel use, tone, back pressure, etc...

Chances are you're going to be VERY happy with any of the quality cans on the market, but as with pistols you won't really find out what's important to you and what you enjoy until you've been shooting them for quite some time. You could think dB reduction is the most important, until you realize that a shorter and lighter can is more useful in your case. Or you think durability is king, until you find out 22-24 ounces on the end of a rifle is awful and you enjoy shooting your TBAC Ultra 7 much more. As stated above, really the best way is to find guys with cans and shoot them.

The thing to keep in mind is some guys will tell you they like blonds. Some will take you they like brunettes. Then, some guys like me will answer with both. Preference plays a huge role in recommendations, which can be different from person to person.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Just ordered the rugged obsidian 9. It won’t be king of the hill.
    I believe when you say it will be good. I was really torn between the Ti-rant 9 and Osprey 9 as well. I wanted to try something new I guess.

In spite of what I said about buying unproven, two companies I would not hesitate to buy from are Rugged and DeadAir. Both have stellar track records and Rugged has the best warranty in the industry. You may want to look at Sandman or Surge for your 300BLK needs. That is what I would do if needing another 300BLK can.

Enjoy!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Chances are you're going to be VERY happy with any of the quality cans on the market, but as with pistols you won't really find out what's important to you and what you enjoy until you've been shooting them for quite some time. You could think dB reduction is the most important, until you realize that a shorter and lighter can is more useful in your case. Or you think durability is king, until you find out 22-24 ounces on the end of a rifle is awful and you enjoy shooting your TBAC Ultra 7 much more. As stated above, really the best way is to find guys with cans and shoot them.

^So true

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Renegade. OP, Renegade is also a great resource and has a metric ton of actual hands-on experience with these cans.

Capital Armory is on point. You have to decide what features are most important to your needs.

The mission drives the gear selection.

There are a lot of options

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Asking what 30 cal can is best is similar to asking what 9mm pistol is best. You're going to get a huge range of people that are hell-bent on telling you their opinion is the best. Then you'll also get a bunch of intelligent people with conflicting views on cans-- and many of them aren't /wrong/ they will just tell you what they like more.

There are a lot of really great ones, and not so great ones. The really terrible ones generally don't get recommended much.

But what is best for you really depends on priorities.
    dB reduction, weight, mounting system, durability, short barrel use, tone, back pressure, etc...

The thing to keep in mind is some guys will tell you they like blonds. Some will take you they like brunettes. Then, some guys like me will answer with both. Preference plays a huge role in recommendations, which can be different from person to person.
    The mission drives the gear train.

Top Bottom