• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minuteman32

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm going to be coming to TX for a job soon. I have a my lifetime IN LTCH as well as a UT & AZ license. I don't want to change from IN to TX residency, at least not full time. Was hoping to be part time resident in each (keep IN drivers license, plates & LTCH) & get a TX ID card & CHL, so I could maintain my lifetime LTCH in IN (no non resident status at this point, so it would be inactivated).
    Anyone have any experience with this & know if it is legally doable?
    Thanks, MM32​
    Capitol Armory ad

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I believe that in order to get a TX ID, you have to give up the out of state license. However, if you still have residence out of state, and are only here temporarily, then why go through all the trouble?

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I believe that in order to get a TX ID, you have to give up the out of state license. However, if you still have residence out of state, and are only here temporarily, then why go through all the trouble?
    I had to give up my OOS DL in order to get my Texas DL back in 1980 and assume it is still the same.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I had to give up my OOS DL in order to get my Texas DL back in 1980 and assume it is still the same.

I didn't 5 or so years ago. Maybe it depends on the state????? As a matter of fact, I was sent a notice to my old address asking for payment to renew that license a year or so ago.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I didn't 5 or so years ago. Maybe it depends on the state????? As a matter of fact, I was sent a notice to my old address asking for payment to renew that license a year or so ago.
    Since I can't remember where I put my keys or my glasses yesterday, maybe I am wrong about what I think I remember happened in 1980, LOL.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    If you stay here more than 30 days, pay rent or take out a mortgage, you by law become a Texas resident and have to abide by our laws.

If you don't want to stay here permanently, you will have to find temporary lodging (Hotel/Motel).

Texas extends broad reciprocity to concealed carry licensees, including those from the State of Indiana.

Welcome to Texas.

Don't forget that your home state will tax all your income earned in Texas if you wanna claim Indiana as home sweet home.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    TxDPS - Moving to Texas

An individual can legally drive with a valid, unexpired driver license from another state or country for up to 90 days after moving to Texas.

NOTE: The individual must apply in person at any driver license office for a Texas driver license within those 90 days to continue driving legally. An unexpired driver license from another U.S. state, U.S. territory or a Canadian province must be surrendered to DPS when applying for a Texas driver license.

However, IF you have residence in Indiana still, then I don't see that this pertains to you as you wouldn't be a permanent resident. Think of it as all the snowbirds that travel to Florida for half the year. BUT if you don't have residence in Indiana still, then, yes, you would have to get a TXDL and all the other stuff.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Technically what "shortround" said. But, if you are here only on a "limited" status, don't bother with getting a Texas ID and such. Just use what you have now and keep it current.

Last edited:

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Technically what "shortround" said. But, if you are here only on a "limited" status, don't bother with getting a Texas ID and such. Just use what you have now nd keep it current.

Technically not ... read the link I posted just before you from the DPS that clearly states 90 days.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Technically not ... read the link I posted just before you from the DPS that clearly states 90 days.

Hence the reason. If you are here for a limited duration, and are not going to become a Texas resident, or are only here on a "temporary" basis, like for a contract labor position, etc., then a "dual" citizenship status is recognized. If you are staying in Texas for a long term position, ie; over three months to xxx, then a change is required by law. It also pertains as to where your actual residence is.

As for my previous statement, I was told by more than a few DPS officials, that after a period of thirty days, with a "rent" being paid during that time, not including transient residences such as hotels and motels, hostels, etc., that you are a resident of this state. Maybe I just misunderstood.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    As for my previous statement, I was told by more than a few DPS officials, that after a period of thirty days, with a "rent" being paid during that time, not including transient residences such as hotels and motels, hostels, etc., that you are a resident of this state. Maybe I just misunderstood.

I can only go off of what the DPS website has posted. As for those DPS officials you spoke with, maybe THEY didn't know, OR they were talking about moving IN state, I believe you have 30 days to change your address.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I do not know about Texas CHL, I have talked to the DPS office personally about similar circumstances. I sell guns to military. They can keep their out of state license AND get a Texad ID card. Perfectly legal and proves who you are and where you live. If you are coming here on extended stay, you can gat Your Texas address put on Ind. License, but You remain an Ind. resident, not Texas resident. You can not keep both drivers licenses, Texas does not allow You to have two. But like the other posts said, Your CHL is good here if you will not be permanent resident.

To not be a permanent resident and change in 90 days, you must keep Your resident status in Your hoke state.
    from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

I think that's up to the OP to decide if he's moving here, or just here temporarily for work now and then and requires a second home besides the one he has in Indiana. Folks have posted that DPS says 90 days after you MOVE... it'll be up to the OP whether he moves or just visits while he's on assignment here.

minuteman32

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will be working for a company based in TX, it is 100% travel all over the US, but Starts & stops in TX. I planned on keeping my IN residency so I can keep my IN LTCH (License to carry handguns), since it is a lifetime license as long I maintain an IN residency. I wanted the TX ID card for firearm purchases so I don't have to go back to IN for that. I figured that I'd get the TX CHP in order to support that system, too.
    I lived in NM years ago & kept my IN drivers license, plates & LTCH & got a NM ID card. I was hoping to do the same in TX.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    TxDPS - Apply for an Identification (ID) Card
    To apply for a Texas ID card, an individual must meet all of the above requirements.

To apply for your first Texas ID card, you must do the following:
    1. Gather documents that verify your identity, U.S. citizenship or lawful presence status, and Texas residency.
    TxDPS - Texas Residency Requirement for Driver Licenses and ID Cards
    To verify Texas residency, an individual must present two documents ... Both documents must contain the individual’s name and residential address. One of the documents must verify that the individual has lived in Texas for at least 30 days.
    This 30 day requirement is waived for individuals who are surrendering a valid, unexpired driver license from another state.

SOUNDS like you SHOULD be able to keep your license and get a TXID once you have established the 30 day requirement for residency.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    In what manner will you do that?

Probably by not selling his house and not renting it out while he's gone. Plenty of folks live in two states, each for part of the year but keep primary residency in one for voting purposes. Think New Yorker's spending 3-4 months in Florida, or Alaska folks that have two homes, etc.

Top Bottom