• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Mom, half Louisiana German, was an excellent Cajun cook and had her recipes published in a number of Louisiana cookbooks in the 40's and 50's.

Me, I liked to eat, and in between chores I was at her elbow watching how she made everything thing she cooked taste so good.

She taught me well ...

Because of that, and even with three younger sisters, I was the main cook for all family gathering the last 30 years of my parents life, including Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years meals, and then later family funerals.

Been pretty slow the past few years, and strange not to be cooking for 20 these past 3 Holiday seasons since Dad passed at 92 ...

Eating a restricted no processed food/low carb diet the past few years has changed what I cook, but not how I season ... just like what Mom did ... lots of pepper and Cajun style condiments.

As she would say "Cher, the secret to my dirty rice dressing is lots of black pepper!" ... and then wink at you.

Seasoning makes anything taste good ... why I carried a small bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce, and a shaker with a mixture of salt, pepper and garlic powder into the boonies of SE Asia those many years ago ... and you don't want to know what I often had to put it on ...

Last night: Linda called just as I sat down to eat "show me what you're eating":

Ground pork/beef hamburger steak
    Garlic/Parmesan mashed cauliflower
    Sauerkraut
    My "2oz Salad" ... 2oz of each thing you can get in it.

CajunSeasoned.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

Attachments

• CajunSeasoned.jpg
      CajunSeasoned.jpg
      420.4 KB · Views: 391

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Wife made some Veracruz-style seafood stew and it’s even better than it looks

c7c30737103af1911217c07b904c66bc.jpg
    8b93b823190233b2cb53235cb52e3738.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• c7c30737103af1911217c07b904c66bc.jpg
      c7c30737103af1911217c07b904c66bc.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 372
    • 8b93b823190233b2cb53235cb52e3738.jpg
      8b93b823190233b2cb53235cb52e3738.jpg
      1,014.5 KB · Views: 353

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Thought I would bring this back up for some turkey pics. I always try and cook it a different way each year. Deep fried in peanut oil is my favorite.

This year I am going with the Dutch oven in the oven. Pinot grigio in the pot. Avocado oil with salt and 1/2 pepper. This is also the first year in a couple that the bird will actually be fully thawed.
    No stuffing inside.

The plan is 30 min at 450 starting with the bird in the cold oven with no lid. The clock just started so I may push it another 10 or 15 at high temp. The plan is to cook the shin for a bit before covering and going low and slow for a couple hours. It is only a 9lb bird so it won't take that long.
    963607cfe50f6d90231120b60c1d69d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Wife has this Butterball XL turkey fryer and makes great turkey. Yesterday we set it up to add oil, plugged in and it didn't work. Power light wouldn't come on. Have used it exactly 3 times and it was 1 year and 10 days old, one year warrantee. Figures.
    Tried the reset button on the back, no go. There is a safety switch that powers the unit such that the switch turns on when the heating element is properly inserted in the unit, if the switch doesn't click on it doesn't get power. You can jury rig the switch or as I did, opened the unit, bent the switch arm and today my wife is frying turkeys. If anyone else has this problem let me know and I will give details including how to open the heating element, which is tricky.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Almost makes me ashamed of those chili cheese burritos I plan of having!
    Just woke up from my 3rd nap. Feeling hungry I was thinking leftover chili dogs, but the dawg is farting so bad I think I might have to pass.

Got a jar of Marshmallow cream because it was on sale. Perhaps w will have Fluffer Nutters with cherry preserves.

Top Bottom