• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    HEB carries a block American Cheese. You can find it in the cheese section, its only a 1 pound brick though.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    1 can Rotel for each pound of Velveeta or similar.

We tend to use the H‑E‑B queso blanco bar for the base.
    Add ins:
    - Chorizo, cooked and drained
    - roasted Hatch chili’s
    - Loose taco-seasoned chicken sausage (drained)
    - taco meat (drained)

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I am no fan of over processed foods, and con queso is included. Giving a choice I take Queso flameado every time.
    Yeah that is a reasonable concern. By the time it's extruded into the block, it isn't really cheese any more, it just partially contains stuff that used to be cheese.

Get real cheese, shred it, and add a teaspoon of sodium citrate, water or beer, and veggies as desired: https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2379170

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Yeah that is a reasonable concern. By the time it's extruded into the block, it isn't really cheese any more, it just partially contains stuff that used to be cheese.

Get real cheese, shred it, and add a teaspoon of sodium citrate, water or beer, and veggies as desired: https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2379170
    What still blows my mind is my buddy who is a chef still eats that Kraft cheese food slices that are individually wrapped.
    • Pasteurized process cheese, which is made from one or more cheeses (excluding certain cheeses such as cream cheese and cottage cheese but including American cheese). Moisture not more than 41 percent; fat in the solids, not less than 49 percent.
    • Pasteurized process cheese food, which is made from not less than 51 percent by final weight of one or more "optional cheese ingredients" (similar to the cheeses available for pasteurized process cheese), mixed with one or more "optional dairy ingredients" (milk, whey, etc.), and which may contain one or more specified "optional ingredients" (nondairy). Moisture must be <44 percent, and fat content >23 percent.
    • Pasteurized process cheese spread, which is made similarly to pasteurized process cheese food but must be spreadable at 70 °F. Moisture must be between 44-60 percent, and fat content >20 percent.

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    My wife's recipe.

2 jars of Ragu Double Cheddar Sauce.
    2 small cans of Rotel tomatoes and green chiles.
    1 small onion, finely diced.
    finely diced jalapeno peppers. (use as wanted for spiciness!)
    1 small can, cream of mushroom soup.
    1 pound of sausage, regular or hot. (she has used deer sausage and it works very well with this recipe.)

Brown and crumble the sausage. Drain all the fat from it. saute the onions and jalapenos in the sausage drippings. Drain all the fat from them as well.

Mix and heat the remaining ingredients and incorporate the sausage, onions and peppers into it. Mix well.
    Got to try this. Sounds delicious.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    1 can Rotel for each pound of Velveeta or similar.

We tend to use the H‑E‑B queso blanco bar for the base.
    Add ins:
    - Chorizo, cooked and drained
    - roasted Hatch chili’s
    - Loose taco-seasoned chicken sausage (drained)
    - taco meat (drained)

Man Hatch Chili’s are hard to come by in North Texas. What’s the closest thing to a chili from Hatch? (I’m guessing all Hatch chili’s come from Hatch, NM?)

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I'd use that to make some killer nachos!
    Nachos are far better with real cheddar or jack! The more I read of velveeta dips, the less I think nachos.

Had steaks tonight with what more or less nachos O'Brian. Bacon & shallots on top of friench fries, then finished with real cheddar. Hell they were so good the sour cream didn't even come out.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Man Hatch Chili’s are hard to come by in North Texas. What’s the closest thing to a chili from Hatch? (I’m guessing all Hatch chili’s come from Hatch, NM?)

Hatch vs Anaheim chili is about subtle differences as they all taste essentially the same, with Hatch being a little spicier. Anaheims really are Hatch chilis that were transplanted.

Rotel has a fire roasted tomato and green chili product, that’s pretty good, so does Goya. Either can be used in a pinch.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    What still blows my mind is my buddy who is a chef still eats that Kraft cheese food slices that are individually wrapped.
    • Pasteurized process cheese, which is made from one or more cheeses (excluding certain cheeses such as cream cheese and cottage cheese but including American cheese). Moisture not more than 41 percent; fat in the solids, not less than 49 percent.
    • Pasteurized process cheese food, which is made from not less than 51 percent by final weight of one or more "optional cheese ingredients" (similar to the cheeses available for pasteurized process cheese), mixed with one or more "optional dairy ingredients" (milk, whey, etc.), and which may contain one or more specified "optional ingredients" (nondairy). Moisture must be <44 percent, and fat content >23 percent.
    • Pasteurized process cheese spread, which is made similarly to pasteurized process cheese food but must be spreadable at 70 °F. Moisture must be between 44-60 percent, and fat content >20 percent.
    Yep, they get pretty torturous with the definitions.

Kraft singles and the like have their place. But it's usually in the trash.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Just curious as how to others make nachos.

Mine are quite simple, but I'm always looking for different variations to try out.

I use the round chips usually. Cover them with some refried beans, some shredded Mexican blend cheese, and topped with sliced pickled jalapenos. If I happen to have some, some sliced smoked chicken or taco meat before the cheese and jalapeno.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Just curious as how to others make nachos.

Mine are quite simple, but I'm always looking for different variations to try out.

I use the round chips usually. Cover them with some refried beans, some shredded Mexican blend cheese, and topped with sliced pickled jalapenos. If I happen to have some, some sliced smoked chicken or taco meat before the cheese and jalapeno.
    That's about it. Stick it under the broiler, then top with a dab of sour cream and some salsa.

I also like pulled pork nachos, with pulled pork, barbecue sauce, and a little more sour cream. They're kind of fake almost east texas "nachos" but they taste great when you have a craving.

Top Bottom