• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    I have a Winchester Model 190 .22 rifle. Had it since long ago when my big brother bought it for me 20 + years ago. I love this rifle and have now started shootin it again. Its as fun as I remember it being. And cant beat the price of the ammo. Of course now I want a better scope than the Weaver it came with it when purchased. Anyway, to my question(s). What is the differnce between my Winchester Model 190 and any given "10/22"? To be specific....what does the 10 stand for and how does it make it different than my WM 190.? I've tryed looking it up with no results. Must not be putting the correct search words. Thanks in advance for you help.
    Gun Zone Deals

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    10/22 is the model name (number) for Bill Ruger's .22 rifle.

It has a detachable box magazine that holds 10 rounds, which obviously played a part in the naming.

From a design standpoint, it is quite different from the Winchester 190, but from a performance standpoint, there isn't going to be much difference.

One thing the 10/2s design offers is modularity, which allows most anyone with a wee bit of mechanical aptitude to be able to exchange the factory parts for others... bull barrels, match triggers, etc.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    You said something about switching scopes. The Ruger is going to have a lot more options out there for scope mounting because it doesn't use the dovetail mount, but I seriously doubt you'll have trouble putting a new scope on your rifle.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    That 20 year old weaver scope might be a keeper to begin with.
    That's kinda what I was getting at, with the entire setup. I wouldn't change a thing.

Maybe.... on the other hand, some of those old 3/4" .22 scopes were really dim.

With a good set of 1" "Tip-off" rings, any scope can be mounted on the Winchester 190's grooved receiver.

Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    Thanks for the replys. I was asking about the 10/22 because I was just wanting to know. Its been a long time since I looked in the direction of my 22 rifle and when I started looking up stuff on my rifle I would see 10/22 everywhere and it made me start wondering about the advancments made. I thought mabe the 10 was an indication of some sort of advancement. The 10/22 uses .22lr ammo and it was killing to know what the heck was the actual difference ....what was the significance of the 10.

So, what I gather from this thread, is that other than just name sake of a rifle its pretty much the same(with difference in design)....other than the fact that its more upgradable if the skills to get it done are there and there are more scopes available in the 10/22 ruger. Good to know. Thanks.

I do not intend to get rid of my weaver scope. O hell no :) I would never do that. I intend to put it in a safe place while I experiment with the new tech scopes. Well, so far its just research. There is so much out there. As far having tryed to sight in my weaver scope. I took two trys both with the same result. I had trouble with the windage. Could not get it to move to left far enough. Thinking the scope was no good(figured somewhere along the line it took a hit I did not know of) I started researching for a new one and gained a little knoledge in the process. I paid more attention to how I mounted it and how I tighted the screws ect....Well, took it back for a third try and I was on the bulls eye in no time. But the damage is done. I have seen all the new scopes out there and now I want one. Weather or not I buy a scope and pop it on my Winchester or just buy a new set up all together is to be seen.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, if you ever want to get rid of that Weaver you're pulling off, let me know what model it is and I might want to take it off your hands.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    ...I started researching for a new one and gained a little knoledge in the process. I paid more attention to how I mounted it and how I tighted the screws ect....Well, took it back for a third try and I was on the bulls eye in no time.

Smart man, because you would have gotten several replies here suggesting that you remove and remount the scope before you gave up on it. Nicely done.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Thanks for the replys. I was asking about the 10/22 because I was just wanting to know. Its been a long time since I looked in the direction of my 22 rifle and when I started looking up stuff on my rifle I would see 10/22 everywhere and it made me start wondering about the advancments made. I thought mabe the 10 was an indication of some sort of advancement. The 10/22 uses .22lr ammo and it was killing to know what the heck was the actual difference ....what was the significance of the 10.

So, what I gather from this thread, is that other than just name sake of a rifle its pretty much the same(with difference in design)....other than the fact that its more upgradable if the skills to get it done are there and there are more scopes available in the 10/22 ruger. Good to know. Thanks.

I do not intend to get rid of my weaver scope. O hell no :) I would never do that. I intend to put it in a safe place while I experiment with the new tech scopes. Well, so far its just research. There is so much out there. As far having tryed to sight in my weaver scope. I took two trys both with the same result. I had trouble with the windage. Could not get it to move to left far enough. Thinking the scope was no good(figured somewhere along the line it took a hit I did not know of) I started researching for a new one and gained a little knoledge in the process. I paid more attention to how I mounted it and how I tighted the screws ect....Well, took it back for a third try and I was on the bulls eye in no time. But the damage is done. I have seen all the new scopes out there and now I want one. Weather or not I buy a scope and pop it on my Winchester or just buy a new set up all together is to be seen.

Well it's not that there are more scopes. You can more or less put any scope on anything if you have to correct mounts. The 10/22 doesn't have the grove or dovetail base. It comes with a weaver base that you can choose to screw onto the top of the receiver. There are tons of scope rings available in many different sizes and heights that fit on a weaver base. Mounting onto a weaver base is also a bit more secure and can take a bit more rough handling.

Top Bottom