• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gottagetchasome

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Hill Country
    Hey folks new member here. Today I went to buy my first handgun and after much lurking here and elsewhere decided on a SpringfieldXD 45ACP. I filled out the forms, paid the dough and waited while they went over details with an NCIS agent. I ended up being delayed and it's causing me some concern since I thought the only thing that could hold someone back was a felony conviction.

From searching the web I was thinking one of these things could be the problem:
    -I'm a military veteran with an expired security clearance.
    -I have a rare name, but there are one or two others in the USA.

But then found some other people having problems with unpaid speeding tickets and I realized I owe $100 from a $350 ticket late last year, so I'm guessing this payment is now late and there is probably a warrant out for my arrest. What are the chances the delay turns into declined? Should I be worried about cops showing up at my door? I plan to take care of the ticket fee on Monday, but will need to avoid arrest. I am embarrassed of the situation and definitely do not to be declined as I am a huge supporter of the views of Thomas Jefferson (lol)

Thanks for any insight :patriot:
    Lynx Defense

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Traffic warrant won't normally be a reason - but I'd be there in line Monday morning to pay it. You may want to take extra with you - some jurisdictions will tack on stuff to a ticket once it goes beyond a certain "age".

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    another reason it could be that they were over whelmed with other calls (background checks) the list is pretty long why you could have been delayed , out of 100 or so purchases i have made I have been delayed 25-30 times if you ever had to pay child support current or behind it can delay you , if two people witht the same name neither with any legal infarctions can delay you, the nics check is two level the person that answers the calls usually is only a clerk not an agent they can only access your information in general if any thing that would raise a flag pops up they have to refer it to an agent and with todays flood of background checks going in the agents are swamped and it can take a little time for on to become available to check out what has been flagged 95 percent of the delayed checks get cleared . I only know a few of the reasons ,my understanding is that even a unpaid student loan will delay you but not decline you .
    if they decline you they will give you a number to call and find out why,
    you can call the atf and get a "upin number" (unique personal identification number ) that will allow you to purchase again with out any more delays It is just about as much of a headache as getting your ffl. which also brings to mind if you a chl you dont have to go through the background checks anymore.if the delay is not cleared in five days you pick up the gun with out further delays, if declined you get your money back from the dealer .

I hope this helps you a little bit I am sure others who know more than me will chime in and shed more light on this subject.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    One way to avoid all that is to get your CHL. If you are turned down on the background check they are required to tell you why. If all goes well you get a driver's license looking thing that allows you to "go to the head of the line" and skip background checks from now on.

Of course you can carry a handgun concealed too.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    OK. First, NCIS is the Navy Criminal Investigative Service. ;) NICS is the name of the check done for firearms; National Instant Check System. It is administered by the FBI.

Here is a bit about NICS;

" Records contained within the databases searched by the NICS include those of the Interstate Identification Index (e.g., millions of criminal history records), the National Crime Information Center (e.g., protection orders and active felony or misdemeanor warrants) and the NICS Index, a database created solely for the use of the NICS which contains information provided by local, state and federal agencies pertaining to persons prohibited under federal law from receiving or possessing a firearm. Additionally, a fourth search of the applicable databases via the Department of Homeland Security's United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement will be conducted for background checks initiated on all non-United States citizens."

Child support will not delay you, having a current or former security clearance will not delay you.

Having a traffic warrant in Texas means you are a fugitive.You have an active misdemeanor warrant and are not eligible for the transfer of a firearm.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    "They" being NICS and NOT the dealer. The dealer will not be told why a person was denied.

Absolutely right! If you are turned down at the counter at Academy all Academy knows is that you are not approved.

I was at Pruett's once when a customer was turned down. The customer was given a number to call to get a form to fill out and submit. I believe it was simply an authorization for disclosure of information.

I do believe that the CHL is the simple way to go. Since your background is already checked you are not checked, at least in Texas, again for a purchase.

gottagetchasome

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Hill Country
    Thanks for the quick responses
    Having a traffic warrant in Texas means you are a fugitive.You have an active misdemeanor warrant and are not eligible for the transfer of a firearm.

Ok this is what I was afraid of; being a fugitive/denied for a firearm doesn't really sound good to me. I'm pretty sure the ATF isn't going to break down my door but I don't know how seriously the government takes these errors. I know they'll tack on late fees for the traffic ticket but will I be charged with anything for trying to get a weapon as a fugitive? How quickly can I reapply for the pistol?

I know I could figure this stuff out Monday but suspense is a killer.

Thanks again

gottagetchasome

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Hill Country
    Ok for anyone that was following this or happens upon it in a search; I paid the ticket on Monday and picked the gun up today.
    NICS never called and proceeded or declined my purchase so I'm not sure if they got confused on what was going on with the ticket or the paperwork got lost. I'm unaware if they(NICS) normally call back or they sometimes let it slip; the gun store clerk said, "they dropped the ball," whatever that means.

Anyway can't wait to hit the ranch this weekend and put some rounds through this pretty thing. (XD 4" .45ACP)
    Thanks again :patriot:

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    gunney.jpg

gottagetchasome

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Hill Country
    Ok got some pics.
    I only took two magazines worth of ammunition with me since I was going to buy some ammo in town, but everywhere was sold out of pretty much every pistol round. They said it's been a rush to get ammo since the inauguration, but we had plenty of .40's for a Sig P226 so the trip wasn't a complete headache.

I'm very impressed with the XD for what little I shot it. I've never read much praise about the XD's sight picture but it was very easy to bead and hit the target... Great gun!

Now the pics, no 56k allowed :p
    my_xd.jpg

my_xd_2.jpg

my_xd_large.jpg

my_xd_large_2.jpg

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    So the XD is like a cross between a GLOCk and a Sig P226? Kind of what it looks like to me anyhow. Great gun though it looks like.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    pointy side in, or pointy side out?

It's an XD, not an HK, so pointy side out. ;)

GGYS, glad you like the XD so much. I have the same pistol (XD45, 4in) and love it. Springfield definitely nailed it with the ergonomics (grip angle very similar to the 1911). Last week, I added the XDm 9mm...can't wait to break it in this weekend.

And you are right, .45acp ammo is very hard to come by. I just had an online vendor cancel a 1,000 round (range ammo) order of mine because their supplier is dried up.

Top Bottom