Question about does/ donts when it comes to vandalizers

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by azndragon684, Oct 11, 2009.

1. azndragon684

azndragon684 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Houston
    Hey guys had a question about vandalism....i finally got my paper work for my CHL processed its in the mail as we speak...but recently theres been alot of vandalism to cars/ houses in my neighborhood; to the point where its just pisses me off. I called the cops after a few of my cars have been egged but it doesnt seem to do much...this is about the 5th time this month, its really getting ridiculous...

i thought about camping out but what can i really do?!?

2. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Is someone egging your car worth shooting someone over? Not sure if thats what you are really asking is if you can shoot them, but thats the question I would ask my self.

3. azndragon684

azndragon684 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Houston
    no no, course not sorry should of clarified it... basically asking if i can detain them til the cops arrive...

4. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Chunking eggs not a deadly force use incident...

Wonder what the law would be regarding retaliating with a paint ball gun ? To make the culprets readily identifiable to local law enforcement ? Very likely as illegal as chunking the eggs or worse...

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Any person may arrest in Texas for an offense committed in his presence or view if it is classified as a felony or a breach of the peace.

Criminal Mischief is a breach of the peace.

However, you risk criminal charges of assault if you use excessive force, unlawful restraint if you improperly hold them, etc. IMO, the best option is to identify them thru a vehicle license plate of follow them at a safe distance if they are on foot while you get on with 911.

6. azndragon684

azndragon684 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Houston
    yeah its such an unfortunate thing ehh....buggin the hell out of me...but i found out today its not just my cars but random cars parked along the street... even in some cases some houses get egged...how immature

i live on a cul de sac many friends said to take their licenses from them.. assuming i stop them somehow (they are in a car)

7. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Since they are in a car, I'd get the plate & call the police. You can always get a high def video camera, too. They are obviously teens that think it's fun.

Once, when living with a bunch of roommates, we had some vandals knocking over trash cans. There were 5 or 6 of us, so we sat up late on the front porch till they came by and took chase in my truck. Long story short, we had them (4 of them in the car) come back and clean the street of all the trash. I don't recommend chasing them down, we were young & dumb back then. I'm lucky the whole event was never reported, as we'd been in much more trouble than them. As you would suspect, they were kids (though not too much younger than us at the time).....and they never came back after all the hoopla we pulled on them. Hopefully that good ending will make you feel a little better about your situation.

8. azndragon684

azndragon684 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Houston
    HAHA yeah it actually did a bit...thanks

ehh hopefully the cops patrol my area more or something cause its getting ridiculous..luckily i got home around the time it happened maybe missing them by an hour or two in order for me to start the clean up cause we all know they can be a pain to clean assuming it doesn't damage the paint..I probably just get it on camera and get their plates cause its getting to the point where i just wanna give them a little scare make sure they never come back..

but i dont wanna stoop to their level..thanks guys

9. RetArmySgt

RetArmySgt Glad to be back. TGT Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    acutally the use of deadly force is authorized in resonse to criminal mischief at night, not that i recommend it, but at anytime the use of deadly force is authorized so is the threat to use it. so if you do happen to catch them you might try putting the fear of a gun owner in them.

10. SiscoKid

SiscoKid Active Member

Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    I may be a bit on the overboard side but if I find someone actually on my property for ANY reason, I'm going to confront them.

And I sure as heck won't be empty handed.

After all, this IS Texas, not La La Land.