• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • azndragon684

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Houston
    Hey guys had a question about vandalism....i finally got my paper work for my CHL processed its in the mail as we speak...but recently theres been alot of vandalism to cars/ houses in my neighborhood; to the point where its just pisses me off. I called the cops after a few of my cars have been egged but it doesnt seem to do much...this is about the 5th time this month, its really getting ridiculous...

i thought about camping out but what can i really do?!?
    Gun Zone Deals

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Is someone egging your car worth shooting someone over? Not sure if thats what you are really asking is if you can shoot them, but thats the question I would ask my self.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Chunking eggs not a deadly force use incident...

Wonder what the law would be regarding retaliating with a paint ball gun ? To make the culprets readily identifiable to local law enforcement ? Very likely as illegal as chunking the eggs or worse...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Any person may arrest in Texas for an offense committed in his presence or view if it is classified as a felony or a breach of the peace.

Criminal Mischief is a breach of the peace.

However, you risk criminal charges of assault if you use excessive force, unlawful restraint if you improperly hold them, etc. IMO, the best option is to identify them thru a vehicle license plate of follow them at a safe distance if they are on foot while you get on with 911.

azndragon684

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Houston
    yeah its such an unfortunate thing ehh....buggin the hell out of me...but i found out today its not just my cars but random cars parked along the street... even in some cases some houses get egged...how immature

i live on a cul de sac many friends said to take their licenses from them.. assuming i stop them somehow (they are in a car)

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Since they are in a car, I'd get the plate & call the police. You can always get a high def video camera, too. They are obviously teens that think it's fun.

Once, when living with a bunch of roommates, we had some vandals knocking over trash cans. There were 5 or 6 of us, so we sat up late on the front porch till they came by and took chase in my truck. Long story short, we had them (4 of them in the car) come back and clean the street of all the trash. I don't recommend chasing them down, we were young & dumb back then. I'm lucky the whole event was never reported, as we'd been in much more trouble than them. As you would suspect, they were kids (though not too much younger than us at the time).....and they never came back after all the hoopla we pulled on them. Hopefully that good ending will make you feel a little better about your situation.

azndragon684

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Houston
    HAHA yeah it actually did a bit...thanks

ehh hopefully the cops patrol my area more or something cause its getting ridiculous..luckily i got home around the time it happened maybe missing them by an hour or two in order for me to start the clean up cause we all know they can be a pain to clean assuming it doesn't damage the paint..I probably just get it on camera and get their plates cause its getting to the point where i just wanna give them a little scare make sure they never come back..

but i dont wanna stoop to their level..thanks guys

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    acutally the use of deadly force is authorized in resonse to criminal mischief at night, not that i recommend it, but at anytime the use of deadly force is authorized so is the threat to use it. so if you do happen to catch them you might try putting the fear of a gun owner in them.

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    I may be a bit on the overboard side but if I find someone actually on my property for ANY reason, I'm going to confront them.

And I sure as heck won't be empty handed.

After all, this IS Texas, not La La Land.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Try not to confront suspects (who are outside and not physically threatening anybody). Just notify police and try to maintain a visual. I have taken calls where "victims" of BOV's have detained and/or beaten the crap out of suspects. We usually high-five the victim and take the suspect to jail or the hospital then book them in. IF this happened more often I bet there would be less repeat offenders. Our night shift recently arrested a 17 year old female with 12 prior BOV arrests. I bet if she got "detained" by the victims on one or two of those she would not have so many arrests. Another incident involved victims finding the suspect and dragging him back into their apartment and beating him up. THAT is illegal and the "victims" were charged as well.

Using force to protect your property is cool with my department per Penal Code as you have the legal right to prevent criminal mischief/burglary at night but beware of using deadly force. The grand jury may not like the idea of you packing your .45 caliber deadly death ray (a la prosecutor) outside to shoot the 15 year old kid breaking into your car for its stereo.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Using force to protect your property is cool with my department per Penal Code as you have the legal right to prevent criminal mischief/burglary at night but beware of using deadly force. The grand jury may not like the idea of you packing your .45 caliber deadly death ray (a la prosecutor) outside to shoot the 15 year old kid breaking into your car for its stereo.

And probably less thrilled about killing that 15 year old over an egg thrown at your car.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    acutally the use of deadly force is authorized in resonse to criminal mischief at night, not that i recommend it, but at anytime the use of deadly force is authorized so is the threat to use it. so if you do happen to catch them you might try putting the fear of a gun owner in them.

Remember, the use of force is a defense to prosecution. Do you really want to have to explain to a Grand Jury and Trial Jury why it was REASONABLE for you to believe it was IMMEDIATELY NECESSARY to use deadly force, AND that there was no other means to protect your property?

How much is it going to cost you to defend yourself just to the Grand Jury level, vs cleaning your car?

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I NEVER recommend that folks use their gun to apprehend these types of property crimes. If you have your gun out you better be prepared to use it. Even though you may intend on bluffing the suspect, you may end up using it. "Well your honor I was trying to scare him with my .44 Magnum but I ended up shooting him in teh face. I did not mean to, it just happened". Enjoy prison.
    I tell folks an axe handle or good ol baseball bat works wonders on legs and ribs. It can still be deadly but it is easier to explain to the jury instead of why you emptied a magazine into that poor church-going prodigy who was just hanging with the "wrong crowd",etc. blah blah blah.
    We all know the crooks have better luck than we do.:confused:

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Get the LP, maintain a visual IF YOU CAN DO SO SAFELY, and try to get them on film, I wouldn't pull a gun on them, unless they pulled one on me, I read a post by texasinvestigator once that read "If you ride in the car with my sister you will be scared for life, but that doesn't mean you can shoot her" I bring that up point out that just because the use of deadly force laws say you that deadly force is okay in some criminal mischief incidents at night, doesn't mean you need to shoot them. And I really like that quote I use it in use of force conversations and replace "sister" with "my wife" LOL. Good luck be safe.

azndragon684

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Houston
    Thanks for the tips guys.....ill try to catch them on camera and give it to the police...doubt they will actually do anything about it but ehh who knows...

Top Bottom