Question about giving a gun to my Fiancee

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Texas42, May 23, 2009.

  1. Texas42

    Texas42 TGT Addict

    Nov 21, 2008
    I know it is illegal to buy or sell a gun across states lines withouth using a couple FFL's.

    My Fiancee is from Oklahoma, (I'm a Texas Resident) and she is going to be spending six months in Houston, alone, and I wanted to either lend or give her one of my guns. Or buy one for her. Probably a handgun.

    Is there any legal problems with this? Should I even care?

    It also made me curious, could I give a gun to one of my relative (niece for example) who lives in another state?


  2. cbigclarke

    cbigclarke TGT Addict

    Feb 24, 2009
    yes you may
  3. cpf3

    cpf3 Member

    Sep 14, 2008
    Here's what the CFR says:

    "§ 478.30 Out-of-State disposition of
    firearms by nonlicensees.
    No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell,
    trade, give, transport, or deliver any
    firearm to any other nonlicensee, who
    the transferor knows or has reasonable
    cause to believe does not reside in (or if
    the person is a corporation or other
    business entity, does not maintain a
    place of business in) the State in which
    the transferor resides: Provided, That
    the provisions of this section:
    (a) shall not apply to the transfer,
    transportation, or delivery of a firearm
    made to carry out a bequest of a firearm
    to, or any acquisition by intestate
    succession of a firearm by, a person
    who is permitted to acquire or possess
    a firearm under the laws of the State of
    his residence; and
    (b) shall not apply to the loan or
    rental of a firearm to any person for
    temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

    [T.D. ATF–313, 56 FR 32508, July 17, 1991; 57
    FR 1205, Jan. 10, 1992]"

Share This Page