Question about Lead and Brass

Axxe55

MIA-BOLO.
Dec 15, 2019
Nowhere.....Just here in East Texas.
Belt Mountain had their “Punch” bullets that were solid brass. I believe the were milled and not cast. I still have a box of their 45-70 and .357 mag from Grizzly Ammunition. It is very gnarly stuff.

I'm thinking there are a couple of bullet manufacturers that do, or have made solid brass bullets at one time or another.

I Googled "brass bullets" just to see what popped up.

Maverick44

Certified All-American Gun Nut
I have accumulated about 80 pounds of lead ingots and about 80 pounds of brass slabs. My question is whether anyone has, or considered using brass for casting bullets?
i am trying to decide what to do with all od the brass I accum during a year. I usually give away about 200 pounds, but was thinking it might be used as bullets, what do the experts say?
Thanks
Sell the brass for scrap value and use it to buy more lead.

You're not going to be able to make brass bullets that are going to be economical or really even worth the trouble unless you are trying to make bullets that you otherwise couldn't get.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dingo

TGT Supporter
May 27, 2021
North Texas
I'm thinking there are a couple of bullet manufacturers that do, or have made solid brass bullets at one time or another.

I Googled "brass bullets" just to see what popped up.

that was an informative site. They also had some good instructions on barrel cleaning.

cycleguy2300

Well-Known
Mar 19, 2010
Austin, Texas
I have accumulated about 80 pounds of lead ingots and about 80 pounds of brass slabs. My question is whether anyone has, or considered using brass for casting bullets?
i am trying to decide what to do with all od the brass I accum during a year. I usually give away about 200 pounds, but was thinking it might be used as bullets, what do the experts say?
Thanks
I'd save a year or two of your brass and melt it, add some small things and cast yourself a bad-ass cannon.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Ozzman

Aug 17, 2015
El Paso, Texas
Brass alone isn't a good casting material.
The density of brass is 23% less than that of lead and the BHN is 60.

This means, that if you somehow could cast from a 150-grain bullet mold, the weight of the final product would be around 115 grains. Secondly, with such a high BHN the brass bullet would wear down your grooves and lands faster than a lead core bullet.

IMO, it is a lot to contend with first of all to get this project off the ground. Thus IMO stick to lead cast bullets or copper jacketed FMJ and save time, money and efforts.

hornetguy

Feb 21, 2021
Allen, Texas
Aren't Barnes X bullets solid brass alloy of some type? Machining bullets from brass isn't a new thing, but as others have mentioned, melting and casting brass would be beyond the scope of even the most dedicated caster, I would think. 1650 to 1750 F melting temperature.

Dingo

TGT Supporter
May 27, 2021
North Texas
I think everyone may have mis the original intent, or I didn’t state it effectively, the only reason for the question and keeping it was, should a worse case scenario develop for an extended period, we may be forced to make do. But I think enough info has pointed out that it would not be practical as an individual.

But i do like the cannon idea!

Top Bottom