• ...and so much more!
  • texmansru47

That's me on the right
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2021
    Spring, TX
    Good Morning all,

I have a Norinco Tokarev (762 x 25mm). Great pistol, very accurate. However, I had a magazine of older ammo (came with the pistol when I bought it) each time I tried to fire it the gun would jam and the bullet would be caught "cocked-eyed" in the chamber. I would remove it and load the next round and the same thing would happen. So I stopped when I got home I cleaned the gun again and purchased new ammo (online) and loaded up 3 of the 5 magazines with that new ammo. It never jammed once. Since that time I have not tried to use the old ammo again. I was told at the range that it could be that the pistol just needed a proper cleaning (thus why I took it home and cleaned it) but I want to see if that old ammo is any good or just junk. Should I try again? Or is this common with older ammo? The ammo is at least 15 years old.
    Military Camp

Last edited:

texmansru47

That's me on the right
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2021
    Spring, TX
    Well darn. I was hoping it was the ammo. Thank you for pointing that out. Luckily I have several and the ones with the old ammo I will see if there is anything screwy with them.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Don't try again.
    Throw away the remaining ammo.
    Why take a chance?

ETA: I thought you only had 1 mag with old ammo.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    You can diagnose this to see if it is the magazine(s) that are causing feeding issues. Load the older ammo in different magazines and see how it feeds. If you run into a feeding issue, mark that magazine such as with a sharpie on the bottom (base plate). Then set it aside.

If you discover it's only a particular magazine causing feeding issues, put it away to fix or discard it and use the remaining magazines.

If they're all doing it, then it could be the ammo is out of spec or all of your magazines are bad and need repairing/replacement.

Magazines with weak springs or misshapen feed lips will cause feeding issues. Usually in older mags it is one of those two problems.

texmansru47

That's me on the right
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2021
    Spring, TX
    You can diagnose this to see if it is the magazine(s) that are causing feeding issues. Load the older ammo in different magazines and see how it feeds. If you run into a feeding issue, mark that magazine such as with a sharpie on the bottom (base plate). Then set it aside.

If you discover it's only a particular magazine causing feeding issues, put it away to fix or discard it and use the remaining magazines.

If they're all doing it, then it could be the ammo is out of spec or all of your magazines are bad and need repairing/replacement.

Magazines with weak springs or misshapen feed lips will cause feeding issues. Usually in older mags it is one of those two problems.
    Sounds like what I should do alright

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    … loaded up 3 of the 5 magazines with that new ammo. It never jammed once.

Lots to unpack here; congrats on 3x serviceable magazines, now verify the last two work as designed with the new ammo.

… I want to see if that old ammo is any good or just junk….
    Unless you’ve got thousands of rounds of it hanging around, why bother?

… Should I try again?…
    Maybe, maybe not. Post of picks of the spent cases and the old ammo. Especially where the primer sits.

… Or is this common with older ammo? The ammo is at least 15 years old.
    Not really, but you have no idea how the ammo was stored over it’s life so anything’s possible.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom