• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Malatesta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Austin
    I have been under the impression that meeting a private seller in a parking lot and him/her/it selling it legally with nothing more then a handshake as long as the seller is not doing it professionally to make money but just as a means to sell tools of his hobby that there is no further actions needed. I have always taken pictures of the dl of any person involved in any transaction just to personally take responsibility heaven forbid. Is there anything else that is needed or is throw legal? Someone just told me that this has changed since constitutional carry. This is probably the dumbest most redundant question asked on this forum I apologize for my ignorance just want to make sure I’m being sufficiently diligent.
    Capitol Armory ad

kmcn762

That guy with the milsurps
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2021
    Pflugerville
    Legally there is nothing more required. I believe you are supposed to check if they are a resident of the same state if selling a handgun, but other than that just use your judgement.

Many sellers like to do a Bill of Sale, but that is just to help cover their bases.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …This is probably the dumbest most redundant question asked on this forum….
    So how are you protecting the PII you are capturing when you take a photo of someone’s ID? There’s state and federal laws in that.

You have zero legal requirement or responsibility to look at, much less photograph an ID during a private sale. Instead, you are building evidence that you are dealing in firearms without a license. Three felonies a day, right there.

If you intend to sell something here, put your requirement to snap a pic of an ID in the ad, otherwise you’re liable to end up with a pissed off member and everyone here will know about it within minutes.

Good luck.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been under the impression that meeting a private seller in a parking lot and him/her/it selling it legally with nothing more then a handshake as long as the seller is not doing it professionally to make money but just as a means to sell tools of his hobby that there is no further actions needed. I have always taken pictures of the dl of any person involved in any transaction just to personally take responsibility heaven forbid. Is there anything else that is needed or is throw legal? Someone just told me that this has changed since constitutional carry. This is probably the dumbest most redundant question asked on this forum I apologize for my ignorance just want to make sure I’m being sufficiently diligent.
    <>
    Your question(s) are NOT ”dumb”.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I think the only issue that could come up is if you know that the buyer cannot legally own a firearm and you sell that person a gun. The buyer or the seller is not required to do any background checks, deal with a bill of sale, take pics of an ID, etcetera, etcetera. Someone please correct me if I'm misinformed.

Last edited:

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    People let you take pictures on their Id showing their home address? Those people are stupid. No way I am showing any ID.

I've never taken a pic of anyone's ID and I'm sure as hell am not allowing mine to be photographed. I'm in TN, but private transfer laws here are basically the same as in TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Meeting a private seller is perfectly legal. That hasn't changed in any way due to open carry, campus carry, or Carrie Fisher. Seller needs to be a Texas resident, and if you're doing the selling you need to be fairly sure they're not a felon or otherwise prohibited.

Don't take pictures of the ID. There's nobody in their right mind that would be ok with that. You don't need to "take responsibility" for jack shit. You're not responsible if someone else commits a crime - why would you try to take that liability onto yourself?

And yes, it's redundant. Use the forum search feature and you'll find multiple threads on private sales, the mistaken idea that a bill of sale would be needed (it's not), and dozens of other variations on the theme.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Docking, poop samples, or golden showers are other methods for people who want a bos.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom