• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    I've got a ten pound butt I want to smoke next week and I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be a bad idea, for any reason, to soak the butt in some hard cider before applying the rub.
    Specifically, I want to use either Woodchuck Amber or 802.
    Texas SOT

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Expensive. That's the only down side.

Might look into making your own hard cider if you'll do that often. It comes out to about $4/gal. Not as good in taste as the commercial stuff (since it's apple juice blended for drinking soft), but it does the job.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Dont think you need to use Hard cider . I dont think the alcohol will add anything. The competion pros use apple juice marinate then inject it before they put it on the pit.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    The alcohol might over tenderize the meat and slightly "cook" it making it take on less of the smoke flavor. Similar to using vinegar. That's why pros use apple juice.

So I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I use apple cider vinegar but don't soak it. I spray it on the butt, put the rub on, then spray it again.

Rule for them to be tender is low and slow. I cook mine at 225 for at least 10 hrs. Whether its oven or smoker, both the same.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I use apple cider vinegar but don't soak it. I spray it on the butt, put the rub on, then spray it again.

Rule for them to be tender is low and slow. I cook mine at 225 for at least 10 hrs. Whether its oven or smoker, both the same.
    I am with you on that. As for soaking, I like apple juice 1/3 pineapple juice 1/3 spring water 1/3 let set covered from 2-6 hrs. I like to put it in the bbq at high heat straight using charcoal straight from the fridge (cold). This will brown over the butt and not cook the inner meat. Soon as its brown to your liking pull it out and place it in the smoker. Use 2 thermos to get the most accurate reading and hold the smoker at 215 - 225 F. Spray it often with your apple pine water mix. I want to hit a internal temp of about 140, then stoke the fire some bringing external temp to about 275-300 F, kill it and let it set in the smoker (if you can kill the heat) if not pull it out when the internal temp hits 150, wrap in foil, let set, serve...

Top Bottom