• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    I have an M&P40 that I would like to get a 9mm conversion barrel for and was wondering if anybody has had experience with them. Are they reliable for everyday carry if I don't change the extractor. Would it be better just trying to trade my gen4 glock19 for an M&P9. Thanks for any help and advice.

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    I have one of their threaded M&P 9 barrels. It would fail to feed Remington UMC 9mm from time to time. The rounds were getting hung up on the top of the chamber. I sent it to Storm Lake and they polished it for me. No problems since.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I do not think changing from S&W .40 to 9mm involves only a barrel swap. A .40 barrel can be interchanged with a .357 Sig barrel, it is quite common.
    I would trade it for the weapon and caliber you are looking for.

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    I have one of their threaded M&P 9 barrels. It would fail to feed Remington UMC 9mm from time to time. The rounds were getting hung up on the top of the chamber. I sent it to Storm Lake and they polished it for me. No problems since.
    How does it run with HPs and would trust your life with it.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Some run fine with 9mm barrels, some don't. Some run fine with no extractor change, some don't. It's a crap shoot and I don't think I'd ever really trust it for concealed carry even it it did work fine. I'd vote you should use this opportunity to purchase another gun! Just my two bits.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Buy it, try it. If you don't like the way it operates, sell it and chalk up the difference between your purchase price and then your selling price as an inexpensive lesson. If you like the way it operates, keep it. It ain't rocket surgery. :green:

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    How does it run with HPs and would trust your life with it.

I have run standard hollow points (PPU) through it without issue. I would trust it in a pinch, but it wouldn't be in the top 5 to grab if I needed a gun. But I bought it as a suppressor host and range toy, so I'm not the right person to ask.

Do you want to be able to switch between 9 and 40 with the same gun? If not, then I would say either sell your M&P 40 or your glock and buy the M&P 9. With the money you'd spend on a barrel and magazines, and possibly an extractor upgrade (go with an Apex extractor if need be), you'd be able to sell the M&P 40, take the hit on it, and buy a new M&P 9. If you sell the Glock 19 Gen 4, you'd probably net enough money in today's market to buy the M&P9 outright.

Here is what I would do... If I had & shot other .40's, I'd sell the Glock 19 to buy the M&P 9. Then you would have two M&P's will a common set of controls, common trigger pull & feel, common weight & balance, etc. If the M&P 40 is your only 40, I'd sell it and whatever ammo you have left and buy the M&P 9 (and get away from shooting 40). Then you'd have two different, but similar platforms that consumed 9mm.

Finally, if you want to be able to run 9 and 40 through the same gun, I'd think pretty seriously about finding a different platform that is engineered to support changing calibers on the fly with a simple barrel & mag swap. Think the Sig P250, or their new striker fired guns.

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    Rgwalt, thank you for your response. I want to keep 40 because of the availability of ammo for it. I like the way the M&P feels in my hand more so then the gen4 do so I will most likely sell the Glock and buy or find someone who is willing to trade for an M&P9.

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I read opinions on how practical a simple barrel swap would be and don't know if that would be all you need. The S&W 4006 is a 40 Cal but I have filled its mags with 9mm and they worked flawlessly in my Keltec P11. If the extractor can grab the smaller case it should work, maybe a factory smith will answer an E-mail

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    I was thinking about just getting a 9mm slide assembly but they are hard to find. The only I found that carries them is midway and they are back ordered. So if anyone wants to trade Glock 19 gen4 for a M&P9 just shoot me a message.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Weapon displays
    Ammo
    Defender Tactical
    Ammo